Register now to remove this ad

Thread: INTL draft

INTL draft

Owners are proposing an INTL draft. As a Yankee fan, that likely hurts us.

But there’s one caveat to it that I think should be added to the mlb draft. It’s not record based. The league is broken up into 5 groups of 6 and the the groups go from picking first six this year to second six next year to third six the year after that. This TREMENDOUSLY drops the benefit of tanking.

So on the whole, I personally don’t want an INTL draft but I want the league to adopt their plan for an intl draft to the big league draft to removed the benefits of tanking
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Owners are proposing an INTL draft. As a Yankee fan, that likely hurts us.

But there’s one caveat to it that I think should be added to the mlb draft. It’s not record based. The league is broken up into 5 groups of 6 and the the groups go from picking first six this year to second six next year to third six the year after that. This TREMENDOUSLY drops the benefit of tanking.

So on the whole, I personally don’t want an INTL draft but I want the league to adopt their plan for an intl draft to the big league draft to removed the benefits of tanking
    What about the benefits of creating a more level playing field by having the weaker teams drafts first?

Baseball is not like the NBA, where the top few picks do much better than the top picks in baseball, plus, a lottery system can lessen the chances of tanking.

BTW, what is Pittsburgh "tanking" for? Are the planning a rebuild like the Astros did to eventually spend big and try to win it all?

There are many more examples of teams like Pitt than HOU.
    Sox 4 Ever

BTW, I'm all for an Int'l draft.

I'm not sure it needs to be structured like they want, but I'm fine with it.
    Sox 4 Ever

Any baseball draft of teenagers is a big time crapshoot. I think teams like the Yankees would still have an advantage as they have a bigger international scouting footprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Any baseball draft of teenagers is a big time crapshoot. I think teams like the Yankees would still have an advantage as they have a bigger international scouting footprint.
    To start, yes, but other teams who used to feel they had little chance of signing several good international FAs, might now see a bigger advantage of upping their scouting footprint across the world.
    Sox 4 Ever