Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB to ban the shift

MLB to ban the shift

Won’t start til 2023, but Halle-fuckin-lullia. Been asking for this for awhile.
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Another analytics detriment to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Another analytics detriment to the game.
    Baseball doesn't need to ban the shift -- just get one organization to un-ban the bunt.

If yesterday's smaller weaker slower players could master hit-em-where-they-aint, then surely MLB's modern marvels of hand-eye coordination could learn.

Oh, wait -- they want a separate pool to pay guys to bunt instead of swinging from their heels...

The shift has been around forever. Players just haven't learned to go the other way. Scoring will go up. Games will be longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The shift has been around forever. Players just haven't learned to go the other way. Scoring will go up. Games will be longer.
    Yes the shift has been around since the 20’s even before Ted, but when you increase the shifts in MLB by 50,000 in a ten year period, because of todays game of analytics has not made the game better. Yes batters could go the other way, starters could go longer, games could be shorter, and I could go on, and on. One opinion is no better than the other, but it looks like the shift is going bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Yes the shift has been around since the 20’s even before Ted, but when you increase the shifts in MLB by 50,000 in a ten year period, because of todays game of analytics has not made the game better. Yes batters could go the other way, starters could go longer, games could be shorter, and I could go on, and on. One opinion is no better than the other, but it looks like the shift is going bye bye.
    We watched Papi fight against the shift for almost his whole career. I didn't have a problem with it then. I don't have a problem with it now.

Deity
    We watched Papi fight against the shift for almost his whole career. I didn't have a problem with it then. I don't have a problem with it now.
    It doesn’t bother you, and lots agree with you, but some like me it bothers, and there are lots like me also just not on here. Bottom line Bye Bye Felicia.

*Conventional wisdom* has been that players have tried to combat the shift mainly with launch angle, leading to more homers and more K's.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Banning the shift is stupid. The shift is just a situational strategy. That would be like the NFL banning nickel back packages…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    *Conventional wisdom* has been that players have tried to combat the shift mainly with launch angle, leading to more homers and more K's.
    Players were going to optimize launch angles whether or not there was a shift.

What’s MLB’s next target? Banning 0-2 pitches out of the zone? Hey if the batter lays off, it’s just a waste of time and slows the pace of play…

Deity
    No kidding.

The shift has been used for over 100 years. The “Williams Shift” predates Ted Williams by nearly 30 years.

If you want teams to shift less, that’s up to the hitters, not the owners…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Banning the shift is stupid. The shift is just a situational strategy. That would be like the NFL banning nickel back packages…
    Stupid? Your entitled to that opinion, but I disagree, and I’m entitled to that opinion. MLB may be messing up the Lockout/Strike, but it sounds like they are trying to make the game better again, and a pitch clock, and banning the shift are two things that will head in that direction. Can’t wait.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Players were going to optimize launch angles whether or not there was a shift.
    You don't know that. What made players think swinging for more home runs and striking out a lot more was the way to go all of a sudden?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You don't know that. What made players think swinging for more home runs and striking out a lot more was the way to go all of a sudden?
    Because home runs can equate to money…

Chicks do dig the long ball. Lots of them. However, lots of chicks don't dig the long ball and like situational hitting. Bottom line Bye Bye Bye Felicia.