Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: MLB to ban the shift

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Others have explained that shifting against a righty is more hazardous because you don't want the first baseman that far off the bag. Which seems like a pretty good point...
    The 1Bman, yes, but why not the 2Bman?
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The 1Bman, yes, but why not the 2Bman?
    I'll let notin handle this matter.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I'll let notin handle this matter.
    If the 2b is playing SS and the SS is in short left field (thus mirroring a shift vs LHB), then the 1b has to cover the entire right side of the infield and still be able to take a throw at 1b. In a shift vs LHB, the third baseman doesn’t have that same level of responsibility. Sure he has the entire left side, but he doesn’t also have to cover 3b…

Deity
    Also most 2b lack the same throwing arm as shortstops, meaning that just fielding the grounder makes for a more difficult play…

Here's an Fangraphs article on the righty shift.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-righ...s-petered-out/
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I’m going to start an online petition to reinstate the shift…

This is great news! I'm tired of watching these ridiculous shifts. It's like I'm watching slowpitch softball with a rover in the outfield. You have a position for a reason. What's the point of being a 3rd basemen if you're playing over half your position at shortstop/second base? It's dumb. Why name positions then if you want to allow the shifts? And people say , well the hitter needs to learn to hit the other way. This is MLB where pitchers throw 90+ with junk. It's not easy to hit the other way. Just making contact is hard. Play your darn position.

Offer Papi 150 million over 5.....kinda joking

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    There is a reason why the shift needs to be banned. It was the reason for the launch angle change which turned the game into a snoozefest of all or nothing baseball. Listen, the game is different than it was 50 years ago. Pitchers throw WAY harder. Analytics is able to discern where hitters hit the ball and then the pitchers pitch to that part of the plate. The shift removed the old adage of hitting it where it is pitched. You cannot do that anymore lest you end up batting around the Mendoza line. Pitchers are dropping 95 mph hammers inside on all hitters and watching them pull the ball into the shift. If the batter hit it out, so be it. Most geekfest shit in sports usually makes for better offense which makes for more excitement. Instead, the geekfest shit decidedly shifted the power to the pitcher.
    It turns out that banning the shift will, on the whole, improve BABIP by only a couple of points over the season, about 6 extra hits per 1000 balls put in play, a difference that viewers will not even notice. The number of hits is not going to drastically increase by banning the shift. What will change is that some of the balls put into play that we think should be a hit will now be a hit rather than being an easy out to a shifted infielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It turns out that banning the shift will, on the whole, improve BABIP by only a couple of points over the season, about 6 extra hits per 1000 balls put in play, a difference that viewers will not even notice. The number of hits is not going to drastically increase by banning the shift. What will change is that some of the balls put into play that we think should be a hit will now be a hit rather than being an easy out to a shifted infielder.
    The thing is, it will affect only the hitters who had the shift used against them, and I would assume there would be varying degrees of affects among those players, as well.
    Sox 4 Ever

The league batting avg is 233.
    A lot of this has to do with these shift. If they don't ban it it will just keep getting worse and worse. Players are too focused to hitting HR so they won't bunt to get on base.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    You don't know that. What made players think swinging for more home runs and striking out a lot more was the way to go all of a sudden?
    The number of zeros on the latest megacontracts.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Here's a question that also ties into the deadened ball - what is the optimum amount of offense for a baseball game, on average, and over 162 games? Because they've been tinkering with stuff like adding the DH, lowering the mound, now banning the shift, to boost it, while also juicing the ball.

So, what's the optimum, how do you get to that point while keeping an honest contest between hitter and defense? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. I do know the amount of HRs nowadays is ridiculous and skewing the contest. But who decides how much is enough and what to do about it?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.