Register now to remove this ad

Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Yankees Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I agree they have to sign him, but you massively overstate the case. He’s not a Hall of Famer.

Fun side note - once Judge hits his next home run, Babe Ruth’s 60 HRs in 1927 will be the NINTH best season total in MLB history. But it will remain the highest total for a Hall of Famer…
    He's on a hall of fame pace for sure. If you extrapolate out the 2020 shortened season, his WAR for 6 years is around 37. That's a 6 WAR per season pace. If you look at another hulking slugger from the past, Dave Winfield, he capped his career off as a 64 WAR player over 22 seasons. Judge is demolishing that pace.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He's on a hall of fame pace for sure. If you extrapolate out the 2020 shortened season, his WAR for 6 years is around 37. That's a 6 WAR per season pace. If you look at another hulking slugger from the past, Dave Winfield, he capped his career off as a 64 WAR player over 22 seasons. Judge is demolishing that pace.
    That's a big "if."

You know how many players have been on pace to make the HOF, then did not?

My guess is more players than are in the Hall.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That's a big "if."

You know how many players have been on pace to make the HOF, then did not?

My guess is more players than are in the Hall.
    4 more years of 6 WAR pace or if he has a 10 year career after and averages 2.5WAR and he is in. 60WAR seems to be the new threshold
    Hal sucks

4 more years of 6 WAR pace or if he has a 10 year career after and averages 2.5WAR and he is in. 60WAR seems to be the new threshold
    Many players have need just "4 more years."
    Sox 4 Ever

Judge obviously needs more really good years to get to Cooperstown. But he is surely on the right track. And along with the home runs , he is a real ballplayer. The play he made on Pham last night was outstanding. Yankee fans would go berserk if they let him get away.
    Old school is good school.

I think Chapman has become a serious head case. Why did he keep throwing over to first with Martinez on ? Even J.D. looked at Rizzo like " what is this guy doing ? I'm not going to run." He had a rookie left hand hitter up. He should have blown Casas away. Instead he lost focus and walked him.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think Chapman has become a serious head case. Why did he keep throwing over to first with Martinez on ? Even J.D. looked at Rizzo like " what is this guy doing ? I'm not going to run." He had a rookie left hand hitter up. He should have blown Casas away. Instead he lost focus and walked him.
    It's been a weird year for him. He started the season going 12 straight appearances without allowing a run, then allowed runs in his next 6 consecutive appearances, then went on the IL, came back (and re-visited the IL because of a tattoo infection) and has been really good some games and utterly terrible others. Considering his playoff track record with the Yanks I'd consider leaving him off the roster.

Chapman has sacrificed RPM on his heater to keep his velo up. His fastball is now hittable. He's not good enough to be anything more than a primarily fastball pitcher. He's done.
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I don’t think he’s head case.

He’s 34 years old with 13 seasons and 650 IP on his arm, along with who knows how many injuries to how many muscles, joints and tendons. He no longer averages 101 mph and peaks at 105. He’s still got some serious heat, but not the same heat he’s familiar with and he knows it. And it probably hurts somewhere every time he tries to dial it up and it takes longer to feel better each time.

He’s just getting old for a pitcher. Happens to all of them at some point…

He also isn’t a novelty anymore. Everyone throws 97 now with movement. His isn’t moving

Deity
    Or, he isn’t.

His 35.7 fWAR before age 31 ranks 175th in the last 90 years, just ahead of Darrell Porter, Ryan Braun, JD Drew and Curtis Granderson. He trails Matt Williams, Christian Yelich, and Lenny Dykstra in this regard.

He’s too old and missed too much time to last long enough for the Hall, unlike Winfield who also did bash 3,000 career hits, which at the time was automatic ticket to Cooperstown…
    Last edited by notin; 09-25-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Or, he isn’t.

His 35.7 fWAR before age 31 ranks 175th in the last 90 years, just ahead of Darrell Porter, Ryan Braun, JD Drew and Curtis Granderson. He trails Matt Williams, Christian Yelich, and Lenny Dykstra in this regard.

He’s too old and missed too much time to last long enough for the Hall, unlike Winfield who also did bash 3,000 career hits, which at the time was automatic ticket to Cooperstown…
    He has only played over 148 games once, back in 2017. He will likely pass 148, this year, but he only has 3 seasons over 112 games and 4 over 102. He'll turn 31, early next year. It's hard to imagine him improving on his injury history.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    He has only played over 148 games once, back in 2017. He will likely pass 148, this year, but he only has 3 seasons over 112 games and 4 over 102. He'll turn 31, early next year. It's hard to imagine him improving on his injury history.
    That’s why if he does hit the market (which I doubt), I hope Bloom passes. Players who struggled to stay healthy in their 20s rarely fare better in their 30s…

That's a pretty ignorant quote and you know it. 148 games is a whole shitload of games. He's done 155, 148 and 148 in 3 of his six years. One of his years was a covid year (where he missed 20 games in admittedly), but in full seasons, he has crossed 140 games 60% of the time
    Hal sucks

That's a pretty ignorant quote and you know it. 148 games is a whole shitload of games. He's done 155, 148 and 148 in 3 of his six years. One of his years was a covid year (where he missed 20 games in admittedly), but in full seasons, he has crossed 140 games 60% of the time
    That's not great. 60% crossing 140 games. It's probably not even average for good players not benched due to lack of production.

It's not as bad as I made it sound, but "ignorant" is a bit strong.

With his body type, I'd worry about even reaching 60% going forward.

Plus, in 2016, he was called up in August and played 120 games between the minors and majors.

He's no Stanton, but he's no Lou Gehrig, either.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 09-26-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever