Register now to remove this ad

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 485

Thread: 2022 Yankees Regular Season Thread

  1. #436
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    56,623
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Speaking of slumps. Red Sox pitching is more likely to slump than Yankee pitchers. Red Sox pitching has been performing well above expectations and past performance.
    Something I can certainly agree with.

    Maybe the return of Whitlock, Sale, Taylor and the first appearance in a Sox uniform by Paxton can help mitigate and slumping that may occur.

    I do think it's funny how one statement made to jacko concerning his statement that pitching does not slump has taken on such interest.
    Sox 4 Ever

  2. #437
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    36,579
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Speaking of slumps. Red Sox pitching is more likely to slump than Yankee pitchers. Red Sox pitching has been performing well above expectations and past performance.
    Cortes and Holmes have arguably been pitching above their heads for the Yankees this year.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  3. #438
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    68,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't make wagers. But even if I were a betting person, I would never bet on the Red Sox. I won't even put Red Sox players on my fantasy team. LOL

    Just know that if it doesn't happen, you'll have the pleasure of letting me know that I was wrong.
    Do you play fantasy baseball?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

  4. #439
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    36,579
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Something I can certainly agree with.

    Maybe the return of Whitlock, Sale, Taylor and the first appearance in a Sox uniform by Paxton can help mitigate and slumping that may occur.

    I do think it's funny how one statement made to jacko concerning his statement that pitching does not slump has taken on such interest.
    That statement by Jackson caught my eye too...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  5. #440
    All-Star bkzwhitestrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Speaking of slumps. Red Sox pitching is more likely to slump than Yankee pitchers. Red Sox pitching has been performing well above expectations and past performance.
    I'd expect Wacha to regress to the norm (he has done this in other seasons, where he pitches really well for a stretch and then fades). I'm undecided if Pivetta is really good or is just having a nice run, since he was one of those guys where he had front-line potential but it needed to be unlocked (similar to Nate). Hill is pretty much performing as expected, he won't give you length but can give you 5 solid innings. Nate is also pitching about as expected, solid #2 starter. Whitlock is probably destined for the bullpen once Sale/Paxton return, and I think that would be the better place for him since he's been good as a starter but almost unhittable as a reliever. I don't know anything about Winckowski but he seems to be doing alright so far, though I don't think he's someone the Sox would want to rely on outside the occasional start.

    Coming into the season I thought the Sox rotation looked like trash. It sucks to say that they have been good, and actually the biggest strength of the team (outside of the trio of Devers/JD/Xander). We'll see if they keep it up. I'll of course be rooting for them to fail

  6. #441
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    68,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Cortes and Holmes have arguably been pitching above their heads for the Yankees this year.
    I don’t doubt that some of the Yankees pitchers will come back to earth, but it will not be a case of them regressing and our pitchers improving at the same time. It is more likely that both staffs will regress at the same time. Our June 2.22 ERA isn’t sustainable. They are pitching lights out and we are still way behind the Yankees.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

  7. #442
    I think teams are starting to figure out Nestor Cortes . I don't know about regression , but I don't think he will be nearly as dominant going forward.
    Old school is good school.

  8. #443
    Lol, Cortes’ “rough patch” is a 3.86ERA this month. I similarly LOL at people who think the league is catching up with Holmes after he blew a save on an infield hit.

    JMont showed something yesterday. He did not have his best stuff, fell behind early, and was told by Boone that he needed length regardless of the outcome. He battled through 6, handed the ball to our lights out pen and the offense went to work. 51-18. Pretty awesome

  9. #444
    Yanks fans knew this 13 game run would be important. TB, TOR, TB, HOU. Yanks now 7-2 to start this stretch, now head home to face the Astros for 4. Should be fun

  10. #445
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    56,623
    Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    I'd expect Wacha to regress to the norm (he has done this in other seasons, where he pitches really well for a stretch and then fades). I'm undecided if Pivetta is really good or is just having a nice run, since he was one of those guys where he had front-line potential but it needed to be unlocked (similar to Nate). Hill is pretty much performing as expected, he won't give you length but can give you 5 solid innings. Nate is also pitching about as expected, solid #2 starter. Whitlock is probably destined for the bullpen once Sale/Paxton return, and I think that would be the better place for him since he's been good as a starter but almost unhittable as a reliever. I don't know anything about Winckowski but he seems to be doing alright so far, though I don't think he's someone the Sox would want to rely on outside the occasional start.

    Coming into the season I thought the Sox rotation looked like trash. It sucks to say that they have been good, and actually the biggest strength of the team (outside of the trio of Devers/JD/Xander). We'll see if they keep it up. I'll of course be rooting for them to fail
    Good summary.

    I'd add Story to the big 3.

    I'd also add that, like you mentioned with Pivetta, Wacha had and showed "front-line potential" over his first 2-3 sasins in the bigs. Maybe he can unlock and keep the door unlocked for a nother full season.
    Sox 4 Ever

  11. #446
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    56,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That statement by Jackson caught my eye too...
    To me, what is strangest is no retraction or adjustment to that statement, as a swirl of posts about my reaction to it has transpired.
    Sox 4 Ever

  12. #447
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    26,258
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Do you play fantasy baseball?
    Yes I do, but not for money. Just for bragging rights, which I haven't had in more than a few years. LOL

  13. #448
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    26,258
    Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    I'd expect Wacha to regress to the norm (he has done this in other seasons, where he pitches really well for a stretch and then fades). I'm undecided if Pivetta is really good or is just having a nice run, since he was one of those guys where he had front-line potential but it needed to be unlocked (similar to Nate). Hill is pretty much performing as expected, he won't give you length but can give you 5 solid innings. Nate is also pitching about as expected, solid #2 starter. Whitlock is probably destined for the bullpen once Sale/Paxton return, and I think that would be the better place for him since he's been good as a starter but almost unhittable as a reliever. I don't know anything about Winckowski but he seems to be doing alright so far, though I don't think he's someone the Sox would want to rely on outside the occasional start.

    Coming into the season I thought the Sox rotation looked like trash. It sucks to say that they have been good, and actually the biggest strength of the team (outside of the trio of Devers/JD/Xander). We'll see if they keep it up. I'll of course be rooting for them to fail
    It pains me to say the Wacha is due for some pretty good regression. Hopefully he can continue to defy the odds.

    Pitching was not supposed to be our strength. What we're getting from them recently is a bonus. They just need to pitch well enough to give the offense a chance.

  14. #449
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    56,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It pains me to say the Wacha is due for some pretty good regression. Hopefully he can continue to defy the odds.

    Pitching was not supposed to be our strength. What we're getting from them recently is a bonus. They just need to pitch well enough to give the offense a chance.
    Wacha has already been regressing, but he is still pitching well enough to keep us in most of his games.

    He pitched very well, at the end of last year, and that's what caught Bloom's eye. Yes, he's had his ups and downs over his career, with many more downs than ups after his first 3 seasons, but I think he's changed his approach since last August, and his numbers support that notion.[/B

    Top fWAR Pitchers since 8/21/21 (100+ IP):
    4.4 Gausman & Alcanatra
    4.0 Wheeler & Webb
    3.9 Burnes
    3.8 Nola
    3.7 Fried
    3.4 Scherzer & Cease
    3.3 Rodon
    3.2 Manoah
    3.1 Mahle
    3.0 Suarez & Cole
    2.9 Musgrove & Montas
    2.6 McClanahan
    2.5 Gilbert & Urias
    2.4 Martin Perez (98 IP)
    2.3 Castillo, Gibson & Ohtani (99 IP)
    2.2 Wainwright & Gallen
    2.1 Skubal, Buehler & F Valdez
    2.0 Pivetta, Eovaldi & Morton

    35. Hill 1.7 (tied with Manaea)
    36. Wacha 1.6 (tied with Montgomery)

    Note: who would have guessed Perez could be viewed as the one we let get away?
    Sox 4 Ever

  15. #450
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    56,623

    Some Selected ERA- Leaders sine 8/21/21

    51 Alcantara
    54 McClanahan
    56 Scherzer
    7. Perez 58
    9. Wacha 62
    13. Cortes 67
    18. Montas 73
    21. Eovaldi 76
    25. Montgomery 83
    29. Cole 84
    31, Gausman 87
    32. Taillon 88
    33. Pivetta 89
    45. R Hill 97

    49. Manaea 100

    Sox 4 Ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •