Register now to remove this ad

Page 85 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1766

Thread: 2022 Bullpen Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    1) Houck's first save was a 1-run lead, June 10 at Seattle.
    2) Schreiber has moved up the trust ladder in a big hurry and will no doubt get some closing opportunities at some point.
    3) Whitlock will be returning to the rotation, why would you think any differently?
    Are you nuts? Are you completely and utterly crazy???? Never, ever suggest on talksox that Whitlock should start again because the Sox are knee deep in great starters and in dire need of relievers, especially closers.

2) Schreiber has moved up the trust ladder in a big hurry and will no doubt get some closing opportunities at some point.
    3) Whitlock will be returning to the rotation, why would you think any differently?
    The starting rotation has survived without Whitlock, and Evol. Getting a one run save against the hard hitting Seattle team told you what? What has happened since then. Are you confident with Houck coming into the 9th inning at Yankee Stadium protecting a 1 run lead?

When sale, Whitlock and eovaldi return, what will our 5 starters look like?

Sale
    Eovaldi
    Pivetta
    Wacha
    Whitlock or hill?

Tough choices ahead.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    The starting rotation has survived without Whitlock, and Evol. Getting a one run save against the hard hitting Seattle team told you what? What has happened since then. Are you confident with Houck coming into the 9th inning at Yankee Stadium protecting a 1 run lead?
    I wouldn't be confident with Kimbrel coming into the 9th inning vs. this year's Yankees with a 2 run lead, let alone 1.

I do now agree you've wanted Whitlock to close all along, but must state again why I agree with Cora's use of him--

1. Whitlock has never been a closer. Thus Bellhorn's telling comment that right now that Schreiber has moved rapidly up the trust ladder. Whitlock has never been on that ladder leading up to closing.

2. Whitlock was a great Rule 5 steal by Bloom precisely because of how he was used last year--almost never as a closer, but as a long reliever (73 innings in 46 games) and short reliever. His WAR was a stunning +2.9.

3. He has an excellent repertoire, which is why I think it's right to give him a shot at starting. Starters eat innings, or didn't you watch last night's game or any of Pivetta's other Quality Starts (he's had 9)? Closers do not eat innings, and, as I like to remind you, the rules of MLB allow opposing teams to score in all 9 innings (or more). That is in fact how the Sox won last night's game--they outscored the Guardians before the 9th inning.

4. Just my opinion, but I think the best closers have these attributes: two terrific pitches--fast ball (faster is better but Uehara's was like 88 mph) and breaking ball (knuckle curve, splitter, whatever); great command; fearlessness. This is Whitlock's second MLB season ever, so I don't think he has yet acquired great command or fearlessness, plus I think he prefers to use--as he should--that entire repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Repeating what Max said, a 1 run lead at YS in the 9th is tough for anyone.

Houck is a young guy who has just started in the closer role. He's had some rough moments but ultimately got the final outs.

Have some patience.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    When sale, Whitlock and eovaldi return, what will our 5 starters look like?

Sale
    Eovaldi
    Pivetta
    Wacha
    Whitlock or hill?

Tough choices ahead.
    I'm not sold on Hill even though I think his experience is valuable. To me he doesn't have enough pitches and/or command of the ones he has.

However, I do think Winckowski could be the 5th starter, in which case maybe Whitlock goes back to the bullpen.

I also think that Sale, despite his stunning career as a starter, remains a question mark. Last year, after extensive rehab, he struggled as a starter: 12 starts (including the postseason), 51.2 innings, 4.1 innings/start.

Deity
    Repeating what Max said, a 1 run lead at YS in the 9th is tough for anyone.

Houck is a young guy who has just started in the closer role. He's had some rough moments but ultimately got the final outs.

Have some patience.
    I have my doubts about Houck, but so far he has been without question our best closer.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'm not sold on Hill even though I think his experience is valuable. To me he doesn't have enough pitches and/or command of the ones he has.

However, I do think Winckowski could be the 5th starter, in which case maybe Whitlock goes back to the bullpen.

I also think that Sale, despite his stunning career as a starter, remains a question mark. Last year, after extensive rehab, he struggled as a starter: 12 starts (including the postseason), 51.2 innings, 4.1 innings/start.

Whitlock might also have an innings limit that necessitates a return to the bullpen at some point…

Closin' ain't easy . The goal is to get the last out without giving up the lead. If you do that , your team wins the ballgame. You did your job. On pretty much a nightly basis , one or more closers fail in that effort. So far , Houck has gotten it done . The Sox are plainly committed to using Whitlock in the rotation , both now and in the future. I still think that Sale would be great in the closer's role. I think he could follow Eck's path to Cooperstown.
    Old school is good school.

I think Hill would be an excellent long man.

I thought Sale looked better than I expected out of the gate, last year but he did not get better.

Cora says his arm is now100%.

I could see him being a great closer but he’ll try starting first.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

I thought Sale looked better than I expected out of the gate, last year but he did not get better.

To remind: I am a huge, huge Sale fan, an enormously professional and dedicated pitcher.

So, regardless of how much of the 2017 and 2018 Chris Sale he still has, he is still an asset. The question is, what suits him best?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

If Sale's arm is 100%, he's a starter. And if he comes back as the ACE, the SOX could have the best rotation in the AL.

To remind: I am a huge, huge Sale fan, an enormously professional and dedicated pitcher.

So, regardless of how much of the 2017 and 2018 Chris Sale he still has, he is still an asset. The question is, what suits him best?
    If sale’s secondary pitches have regained their sharpness then he is a premier starter.

But if he now only a fastball - slider pitcher, then he will be a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    If sale’s secondary pitches have regained their sharpness then he is a premier starter.

But if he now only a fastball - slider pitcher, then he will be a reliever.
    He could be a very effective starter with just 2 excellent pitches.

(I'm not sure why TJS would hurt a change-up pitch.)
    Sox 4 Ever

Lots of fun to toy with the idea of Sale in the pen, but I guarantee that isn't Plan A.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.