Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Bauer is Suspended for 2 Years

Trevor Bauer is Suspended for 2 Years

The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Totally excessive, especially without criminal charges
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

This is gonna get interesting. Some serious legal and moral issues in play.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Strongly suspect this comes down on appeal.

Compare it to suspensions others like Marcelo Ozuna, Aroldis Chapman, Milton Bradley and Addison Russell received. I think all were less than 60 games…

Compare it to suspensions others like Marcelo Ozuna, Aroldis Chapman, Milton Bradley and Addison Russell received. I think all were less than 60 games…
    Good point. And it does make this seem excessive.

Bauer appears to be a serial sexual abuser, so that may have factored into the length. Haven't there been 3 or 4 separate women who have accused him so far?

I don't recall all the specifics on the others, but with the exception of Bradley, weren't those seemingly isolated incidents (there is no excuse for them having taken place, I am not downplaying the serious of them and I fully acknowledge that there likely more than one event). Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Bradley served prison time IIRC.
    Last edited by illinoisredsox; 04-30-2022 at 12:09 PM.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

I would not put it past Bauer to have done all that he is accused of. Personally, I would not want him as teammate . And from what I have read , the Dodgers don't want him around either. That said , this seems like a very stiff penalty for what are basically just allegations. Expect a legal battle.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I would not put it past Bauer to have done all that he is accused of. Personally, I would not want him as teammate . And from what I have read , the Dodgers don't want him around either. That said , this seems like a very stiff penalty for what are basically just allegations. Expect a legal battle.
    And Bauer is suing his primary accuser.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

And Bauer is suing his primary accuser.
    What makes her story problematic is that she had two encounters with Bauer, and it was her who initiated the second one.

Which doesn't mean her accusations about the second one aren't true.

But the fact they didn't pursue criminal charges has to mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    What makes her story problematic is that she had two encounters with Bauer, and it was her who initiated the second one.

IMO, sometimes prosecutors hold back on charging high profile and rich suspects, because they know money talks when it comes to so-called justice.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Prosecutors are not in the habit of bringing charges in cases they are not highly likely to win, and beyond a reasonable doubt is a hard hurdle to surpass in a he said/she said type of case.

A civil case only requires preponderance of evidence. There are at least two other women who have accused him, and one of the major US papers (Washington Post?) uncovered a restraining order against Bauer in Ohio. Now, this may or may not be relevant even in a civil case; I don't know pretend to know evidentiary rules, but am I wrong to assume the existence of said order may not be admissible in even a civil case (prior bad acts)?

However, given the 9-10 month long investigation, MLB probably knows a lot more details about the total picture and they don't have to ignore prior accusations.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Prosecutors are not in the habit of bringing charges in cases they are not highly likely to win, and beyond a reasonable doubt is a hard hurdle to surpass in a he said/she said type of case.

A civil case only requires preponderance of evidence. There are at least two other women who have accused him, and one of the major US papers (Washington Post?) uncovered a restraining order against Bauer in Ohio. Now, this may or may not be relevant even in a civil case; I don't know pretend to know evidentiary rules, but am I wrong to assume the existence of said order may not be admissible in even a civil case (prior bad acts)?

However, given the 9-10 month long investigation, MLB probably knows a lot more details about the total picture and they don't have to ignore prior accusations.
    They also don't have to make anything public.

They also don't have to make anything public.
    Very true, and since it's an employment situation, I get it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Bauer appears to be a serial sexual abuser, so that may have factored into the length. Haven't there been 3 or 4 separate women who have accused him so far?

I don't recall all the specifics on the others, but with the exception of Bradley, weren't those seemingly isolated incidents (there is no excuse for them having taken place, I am not downplaying the serious of them and I fully acknowledge that there likely more than one event). Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Bradley served prison time IIRC.
    Well, it does appear that Bauer and these women "like it rough". That's not a license to abuse or any sort of excuse of defense, but at some point there appears to have been a lot of consent. Basically, this isn't a guy randomly choking women on the street. He's choking women who like to be choked and have given some level of permission.

And don't sell short on Addison Russell, who spent years verbally abusing and oppressing the mother of his child...

When you walk on the wild side , bad things are likely to happen. The question here is ; if the prosecutor does not feel that there is enough evidence to charge Bauer , is MLB justified in taking such a strong action ?
    Old school is good school.