Register now to remove this ad

Page 252 of 812 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302352752 ... LastLast
Results 3,766 to 3,780 of 12173

Thread: Fire Bloom .

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Solid ceiling, and a solid floor to me would be the best way to go with the solid floor more important of the two.
    We agree on something!

People complain about how the big spending teams make it hard for low-budget teams, but rarely do we hear about how cheap owners are making a killing on profits and just don't want to spend more.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We agree on something!

People complain about how the big spending teams make it hard for low-budget teams, but rarely do we hear about how cheap owners are making a killing on profits and just don't want to spend more.
    We do agree, and I bet the cheap owners would spend if push come to shove.

We are also seeing more and more teams willing to spend, taking away the Sox competitive advantage. With the amount of money coming in, the market for it, and a rapid fan base, I hope Henry is thinking about opening up his wallet.

The 2022 SOX are 6th in team payroll at 208 mil. However, if one removes Sale's adj. salary of 20 mil and Price's retained salary of 16 mil, that drops the SOX to 11th at 172 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    The 2022 SOX are 6th in team payroll at 208 mil. However, if one removes Sale's adj. salary of 20 mil and Price's retained salary of 16 mil, that drops the SOX to 11th at 172 mil.
    Wouldn't we have to remove "dead money" from all teams to get an accurate read on that adjusted ranking?

Legend
    We do agree, and I bet the cheap owners would spend if push come to shove.
    If the season ended today the postseason would include two teams with bottom five Opening Day payrolls at less than $67 million (and another club in the bottom nine).

Should those franchises be required to spend more?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    If the season ended today the postseason would include two teams with bottom five Opening Day payrolls at less than $67 million (and another club in the bottom nine).

If you had a floor yes. How often does bottom teams get in?

Wouldn't we have to remove "dead money" from all teams to get an accurate read on that adjusted ranking?
    Good point. That will be your mission, MOON, if you choose to accept. That would be too much work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post

They may end up near $80M by year's end, but yes.

I suppose, exceptions could be made for winning teams, like if you finish bottom 10, 3 years in a row, you have to spend to the floor..

Deity
    The problem is I want major league players back in a trade like Manny, or Pedro, and not a prospect.What’s wrong with that?

1. I don’t think the Sox view that as a problem.

2. When teams are acquiring upgrades in talent, they’re typically doing so with an eye on the postseason. Teams doing so do not want to break up their team.

3. Why take downgraded MLB players who have less control left, cost more money, and are less productive?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    1. I don’t think the Sox view that as a problem.

2. When teams are acquiring upgrades in talent, they’re typically doing so with an eye on the postseason. Teams doing so do not want to break up their team.

3. Why take downgraded MLB players who have less control left, cost more money, and are less productive?
    An example of the type of trade I think red is suggesting would be one year of Betts for 5 years of Dugo- a ML player. Not as good but the extra years was supposed to balance it out. (Of course, two prospects were included.)

Good point. That will be your mission, MOON, if you choose to accept. That would be too much work for me.

For 2022 the SOX have a total retained salary of over 42 mil. Most of it is between JBJ and Price.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 08-31-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Deity
    An example of the type of trade I think red is suggesting would be one year of Betts for 5 years of Dugo- a ML player. Not as good but the extra years was supposed to balance it out. (Of course, two prospects were included.)
    I think it depends too on what shape your team is in. The shape the Red Sox are in at the moment the Red Sox need all the help they can get, and anyway they can get it.

For 2022 the SOX have a total retained salary of over 42 mil. Most of it is between JBJ and Price.
    Is that counting Sale?

Deity

The Sox could have gotten MLB players Wil Myers, Joey Lucchesi and Manny Margot plus one prospect for Betts. I suppose it might be better than what they got, but that’s basically a bunch of mediocrity with little hope for improvement.

Plus - and I might be wrong - San Diego was no so keen on taking back Price, which sort of ruined the entire point of the deal…