Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 Yankee Prospects

Yanks core of top offensive prospects is impressive for next year

Peraza and Cabrera are in the bigs right now. For next year, I think Peraza starts in AAA and earns his way back to the bigs as a rotational infielder eventually winning the job from IKF. I think Cabrera makes the team out of the gate as a super sub. Kid has 6 OF assists in 17 games. He’s an excellent defender both in the IF and OF and does have some pop that’s been slow to come in the majors. He replaces Marwin

Volpe made it to AAA and will likely start there. Should Torres falter next year, he will get the call and supplant him at 2b

Pereira has been raking at AA and will likely be starting CF for Scranton out the gate next year. He’ll be the first OFer promoted.

Wells has been raking and hit well in AA. He will be catching in AAA next year. Hard to see his position, as he gets time in the corner OF as well. I think long term he’s a RFer for us, but his bat is undeniable

Dominguez is absolutely raking and just got promoted to AA. He will start there in 2023, but he’s the kind of kid with the potential to absolutely rocket up to the bigs next year. He’s got more upside than anyone in the system, including Volpe

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Yanks core of top offensive prospects is impressive for next year

Peraza and Cabrera are in the bigs right now. For next year, I think Peraza starts in AAA and earns his way back to the bigs as a rotational infielder eventually winning the job from IKF. I think Cabrera makes the team out of the gate as a super sub. Kid has 6 OF assists in 17 games. He’s an excellent defender both in the IF and OF and does have some pop that’s been slow to come in the majors. He replaces Marwin

Volpe made it to AAA and will likely start there. Should Torres falter next year, he will get the call and supplant him at 2b

Pereira has been raking at AA and will likely be starting CF for Scranton out the gate next year. He’ll be the first OFer promoted.

Wells has been raking and hit well in AA. He will be catching in AAA next year. Hard to see his position, as he gets time in the corner OF as well. I think long term he’s a RFer for us, but his bat is undeniable

Dominguez is absolutely raking and just got promoted to AA. He will start there in 2023, but he’s the kind of kid with the potential to absolutely rocket up to the bigs next year. He’s got more upside than anyone in the system, including Volpe
    Wells is absolutely “raking” with a .847 OPS in AA at age 22? Normally I’d think that’s very good, but I’m rethinking that position because the “top heavy” Sox farm system has a 21yo Cedanne Rafaela with a .841OPS in AA, and he’s just not on that list of two prospects you said are carrying the Sox system…

The Yankee farm is top heavy.

I stand by my comment.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Wells is absolutely “raking” with a .847 OPS in AA at age 22? Normally I’d think that’s very good, but I’m rethinking that position because the “top heavy” Sox farm system has a 21yo Cedanne Rafaela with a .841OPS in AA, and he’s just not on that list of two prospects you said are carrying the Sox system…
    Wells demolished two levels before heading to AA. He was raking (first two levels) and is hitting well in AA. The guy was picked in 2020 (the year with zero minors), and is in his second MiLB season hitting well in AA.

And the Yanks system is somewhat top heavy, yet they continue to deliver big time rookie minor league performances in the pen. Yanks have gotten awesome production from Schmidt, Marinaccio and Sears (since dealt) this year in the pen. Last year saw the evolution of King and Cortes. Every year we seem to bring up young relievers who end up thriving. Sox don't
    Hal sucks

Wells demolished two levels before heading to AA. He was raking (first two levels) and is hitting well in AA. The guy was picked in 2020 (the year with zero minors), and is in his second MiLB season hitting well in AA.

And the Yanks system is somewhat top heavy, yet they continue to deliver big time rookie minor league performances in the pen. Yanks have gotten awesome production from Schmidt, Marinaccio and Sears (since dealt) this year in the pen. Last year saw the evolution of King and Cortes. Every year we seem to bring up young relievers who end up thriving. Sox don't
    "Have" is different from "will."

Also, for as much shit as I give Cashman, he always seems to turn later draft picks into pitching gold.

Wesneski was a 6th rounder, who got us the Cubs closer Effross.
    Waldichuk was a 5th rounder who got us Montas.
    Marinaccio was a 19th rounder and he's a key cog in the pen.
    Stephan was a 3rd rounder and is now nails in the Indians pen
    Whitlock was an 18th rounder and is now nails in the sox pen
    Otto was a 5th rounder and is now in the rotation in Texas, he was a headliner in getting Gallo
    German was a 4th rounder and is due to make his debut next year in Boston
    Sikkema was a comp pick who was the headliner for Beni
    Weissert was a 18th rounder and is in our pen now (although sucking)

The point is, the Yanks draft pitchers outside the first round and have success. This year, the Yanks selected 15 pitchers and only 5 position players. Chances are, a few of those guys make the bigs in the pen (maybe rotation). The sox don't do this
    Hal sucks

Also, for as much shit as I give Cashman, he always seems to turn later draft picks into pitching gold.

Otto was a 5th rounder and is now in the rotation in Texas, he was a headliner in getting Gallo

The point is, the Yanks draft pitchers outside the first round and have success. This year, the Yanks selected 15 pitchers and only 5 position players. Chances are, a few of those guys make the bigs in the pen (maybe rotation). The sox don't do this
    Some may be fool's gold.

Deity

Effross was NOT the Cubs’ closer; he was a 28yo career minor leaguer who had 1 career save at the deal and began the season with 14 career IP. (Aside, as I know it wasn’t your point, but there is a 90+% chance Cashman got ripped off here.)

I mean, the Sox acquired former actual closer Hansel Robles last year - a pitcher who actually pitched in the majors, and got him for Alex Scherff, a former 5th rounder. This doesn’t make Scherff a better evaluation pick in round five.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Effross was NOT the Cubs’ closer; he was a 28yo career minor leaguer who had 1 career save at the deal and began the season with 14 career IP. (Aside, as I know it wasn’t your point, but there is a 90+% chance Cashman got ripped off here.)

I mean, the Sox acquired former actual closer Hansel Robles last year - a pitcher who actually pitched in the majors, and got him for Alex Scherff, a former 5th rounder. This doesn’t make Scherff a better evaluation pick in round five.
    Or does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Or does it?
    It does by some logic…

Quite an ending for Double A Somerset. In the final game of the Eastern Championship they threw a combined no-hitter (Randy Vasquez threw 8 of the innings) and put up 15 runs, and were led offensively by recent call up Jasson Dominguez (3-4, 2 HRs, 6 RBIs, 2 R, 2 BB). Barring injury he could potentially be a big league option next year.

They nearly dealt him. The Reds held out for Volpe. While Montas has been an utter disappointment, I think the decision to hold onto Jasson will pay dividends. The kid jumped from A ball to AA and in the playoffs had a near 2.000 OPS and played the whole year as a 19 yr old. He’s got Julio Rodriguez type upside with the chops to stick in CF defensively, the power to hit 30 bombs, the hand eye to hit .300 and the speed to nab 30 bags. Barring injury, he’s almost a sure bet to see some big league time in 23

Oswaldo Cabrera has acclimated well to the Bronx and is likely in line to start for us in the POs. He started slowly with the Yanks, hitting .190 in his first 18 games. Since that time, he has registered a .287/.367/.551 slash line while playing other worldly defense. Even with his shitty start, he has amassed 1.3WAR in 43 games. His defense has been elite in the OF as well. I know the Yanks were looking for a starting caliber OFer, but I doubt they thought they already had one
    Hal sucks