Register now to remove this ad

Page 113 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2468

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part III

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Ok Boston won last night but I would not get too excited about what Barnes or any other pitcher did. Just as Eck said, Pittsburgh had a Triple A lineup. Let's keep everything in perspective.
    Well said, and nothing less than a sweep will be a lost opportunity. Pittsburg would have fit in with the fantasy month of June opposition.

Ok Boston won last night but I would not get too excited about what Barnes or any other pitcher did. Just as Eck said, Pittsburgh had a Triple A lineup. Let's keep everything in perspective.
    But then, that's exactly what the RS announcers (can't remember whether it was tv or radio) said about the "embarrassing" Tampa Bay lineup, i.e., the lineup that swept the lowly RS. So there's improvement!
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    "Anticipating a breakdown" sounds like booing to me.
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Despite my smart alec remarks, I think you are right.
    Yes.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Any MLB team can beat any other MLB team on any given day. Pittsburgh swept 3 from Milwaukee earlier this month.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Look a little closer at that "pounding" of the Pirates last night. The 4 run first inning featured 2 bad fielding plays by Pitts( 5 outs), , a couple walks and 4 singles with runners going one base at a time because JDM and Devers cannot run well now.

After adding a run in the 2nd, Boston then went 7 innings with no hits at all, looking somewhat disinterested in the proceedings.

Pivetta threw his own 7 inning , one hit shutout which was great. But then Davis risked the whole game , including Schreiber allowing an inherited runner to score . Barnes, however, was very efficient closing the 9th on just 10 pitches. So , it took 3 pitchers to finish of the last 6 outs against a truly weak lineup. One foul pole HR could have turned this game inside out.

It was a win , and quite welcome, but Boston is still missing some spark to give confidence in a strong finish.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Look a little closer at that "pounding" of the Pirates last night. The 4 run first inning featured 2 bad fielding plays by Pitts( 5 outs), , a couple walks and 4 singles with runners going one base at a time because JDM and Devers cannot run well now.

After adding a run in the 2nd, Boston then went 7 innings with no hits at all, looking somewhat disinterested in the proceedings.

Pivetta threw his own 7 inning , one hit shutout which was great. But then Davis risked the whole game , including Schreiber allowing an inherited runner to score . Barnes, however, was very efficient closing the 9th on just 10 pitches. So , it took 3 pitchers to finish of the last 6 outs against a truly weak lineup. One foul pole HR could have turned this game inside out.

It was a win , and quite welcome, but Boston is still missing some spark to give confidence in a strong finish.
    Lots of good things happened in that game, too- not just Pivetta.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    By what metric is it the worst? I think 2012 was the worst. We won't count 2020.
    On second thought, thank you very much for bringing up 2012, which I had thankfully forgotten.

My thanks are because the 2012 Boston Red Sox finished @ 69-93, the worst season in the John Henry era. Interestingly, however, is that the 2012 Sox scored the 8th most runs in MLB that year and had the 11th best team OPS.

So let's compare the 2012 and 2022 Sox teams. Both had lousy pitching: 2012 had the 27th worst ERA in MLB, and so far 2022 has the 25th worst team ERA. However, the 2012 hitting--8th in runs scored and 11th in team OPS--was actually better than the 2022 Sox who are 12th in runs scored and 12th in team OPS.

But, what the hey, let's just say neither team, 2012 or 2022, could pitch worth a darn and neither had enough hitting to make up for the pitching deficit.

Except, except. The 2022 team is one game below .500 even though they are playing in the toughest division in MLB--the other 4 AL East teams have winning records--and play each of those teams 19 times.

And the 2012 team finished 69-93, 24 freaking games below .500. Plus, back then the AL East wasn't even the toughest division in AL, let alone MLB. The AL West was actually tougher.

And that leads me to my point. I have defended the management of this year's bullpen for the simple reason that I think Alex Cora is one smart manager.

And I now contend that every other Talksoxer who believes that Alex Cora has mismanaged his bullpen by not making a reliable closer his number 1 priority simply does not know what he or she is talking about.

To remind. I have also repeatedly (ad nauseum, actually) reminded everyone that the same manager basically had no closer in the 2021 postseason which vastly exceeded any reasonable expectations. Everyone on Talksox has dismissed that as so much blather--Cora was lucky, it was only 11 games, and he's still incompetent.

Lots of good things happened in that game, too- not just Pivetta.
    Not really, the only good thing was the win.

Here is how some of our key players have been doing: Some results from the start of August through the Yankee series last weekend,

Xander - .208-1 homer, 4 hits
    JD - .205-0-6 - not including 0-2 Tues
    Raffi - .167-3-7 - not including 0-3 Tues
    Duran - .179-2-8 - not including 0-3 Tues
    Hosmer - .192-0-2 - not including 1-3 Tues
    Plawecki - .103-0-1

Like I said before JD continues to look as if he is auditioning to play the robot in Lost in Space. Devers swings from his heels on every pitch and Bogey with few exceptions looks clinically depressed. Cora appears exhausted.

What really saved them last night was a Pirates pitcher who could not throw strikes and a Pirates defense that could not catch fly balls. Hey I loved the win. But I am not thrilled about how they won i

To remind. I have also repeatedly (ad nauseum, actually) reminded everyone that the same manager basically had no closer in the 2021 postseason which vastly exceeded any reasonable expectations. Everyone on Talksox has dismissed that as so much blather--Cora was lucky, it was only 11 games, and he's still incompetent.
    It's not blather, but it has been repeated so often, I think posters are tiring of it and don't see it as the be-all-end-all point the ends the discussion. It is but one series that resulted in lost series, despite no blown saves. It is a point in support of your position, and I think most people see it for what it is: one point out of many on your side, and that there are many good points on the other side, too.
    Sox 4 Ever

Here is how some of our key players have been doing: Some results from the start of August through the Yankee series last weekend,

Plawecki - .103-0-1

Like I said before JD continues to look as if he is auditioning to play the robot in Lost in Space. Devers swings from his heels on every pitch and Bogey with few exceptions looks clinically depressed. Cora appears exhausted.

What really saved them last night was a Pirates pitcher who could not throw strikes and a Pirates defense that could not catch fly balls. Hey I loved the win. But I am not thrilled about how they won i
    I know most of "the good" centered around just Pivetta and Barnes, but we did only allow 4 hits and 4BBs to the Pirates. 27 outs. 8 men let on base.

No fielding errors made. No major running blunders. Both good things.

We got some key hits with men ins coring position, which is something we have lacked, this year. 4 RBis and only 7 men LOB. Good, right?

Kike did us a favor by not K'ing 3 times. He only K'd twice and GIDP his other time! LOL, but seriously, he did get an RBI Sac Fly. Not sexy, but good.

JD & Hosmer did get on base half the time.

Pham got 2 hits.

OK, Schreiber had a bad pitch, out of 12 pitches (the 2B,) but I thought he actually pitched well.

Barnes was enough for me to see an overall plus, last night.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post

Agree on "missing some spark," only I would say the team needs some heat and is currently either lukewarm or tepid. Certainly the hitting last night, despite the 5 runs, was tepid at best. Thus, as you say, the Sox were hitless for the last 7 inning.

Deity

Plawecki - .103-0-1

And Schreiber had to be brought into the game when he really needed the rest.

Deity
    I know most of "the good" centered around just Pivetta and Barnes, but we did only allow 4 hits and 4BBs to the Pirates. 27 outs. 8 men let on base.

No fielding errors made. No major running blunders. Both good things.

We got some key hits with men ins coring position, which is something we have lacked, this year. 4 RBis and only 7 men LOB. Good, right?

Kike did us a favor by not K'ing 3 times. He only K'd twice and GIDP his other time! LOL, but seriously, he did get an RBI Sac Fly. Not sexy, but good.

JD & Hosmer did get on base half the time.

Pham got 2 hits.

OK, Schreiber had a bad pitch, out of 12 pitches (the 2B,) but I thought he actually pitched well.

Barnes was enough for me to see an overall plus, last night.
    I think you are way too optimistic about the hitting, but agree the pitching was excellent (except for Davis of course). The Schreiber pitch for a double was actually not that bad. Just a very good swing by Gamel, kind of like that really, really low pitch Devers golfed into the stands a week or so ago.

And Pivetta.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.