Register now to remove this ad

Page 114 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2468

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part III

  1. #1696
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I think you are way too optimistic about the hitting, but agree the pitching was excellent (except for Davis of course). The Schreiber pitch for a double was actually not that bad. Just a very good swing by Gamel, kind of like that really, really low pitch Devers golfed into the stands a week or so ago.
    I'm not saying 5 hits and 4 walks is good offense, but how many times have we had 10-12 hits but none with men is scoring position?

    We finally maximized our hits, and people seem to just focus on the bad.

    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  2. #1697
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,473
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's not blather, but it has been repeated so often, I think posters are tiring of it and don't see it as the be-all-end-all point the ends the discussion. It is but one series that resulted in lost series, despite no blown saves. It is a point in support of your position, and I think most people see it for what it is: one point out of many on your side, and that there are many good points on the other side, too.
    Agree I've repeated the 2021 postseason tale too many times.

    But what's new is citing the 2012 team, which finished 24 games below .500 but had a comparable team ERA and better hitting than this team, which is 1 game below .500.

  3. #1698
    Ok Barnes pitched well against a triple a lineup. I am happy but not impressed.

  4. #1699
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    And Schreiber had to be brought into the game when he really needed the rest.
    This is the real issue, having to use the same relievers over and over to the point of burn-out. Eck keeps pointing this out.

    Others point to injuries for the lack of bullpen depth; some point to getting rid of Diekman, but not replacing him.

    Maybe Strahm returns to help while there's still time.

  5. #1700
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Agree I've repeated the 2021 postseason tale too many times.

    But what's new is citing the 2012 team, which finished 24 games below .500 but had a comparable team ERA and better hitting than this team, which is 1 game below .500.
    Max, I'm on your side on this issue. I don't think the lack of a star closer is the major reason we are not closer in the WC race. I do think we could have a few more wins than we have, if we had a better closer, but until someone says at who's expense, I'm not sure about claiming X amount of net wins.

    Personally, I wish we had used Houck as the closer from day one and never tried the piggy-back idea.

    I'm okay with using Whitlock as a starter, because we needed him, there, but I wish we could have used him as a high leverage set-up man from day one (multiple innings, too.)

    Injuries and other factors made a lot of Cora's choices "lose-lose," and I think Bloom deserves some heat for forcing that on Cora.

    The fact is, we are 50-6 when leading after 8 IP. For anyone to think we'd have more than 4-5 more wins with a solid traditional closer, I'd like to see an explanation. Plus, had we signed a closer, who do we not sign? If we used Houck or Whitlock as a closer, who starts or sets up? How many games do we lose by using someone else in those open roles?

    This is not an easy thing to prove from either side.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  6. #1701
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    48,420
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    This is the real issue, having to use the same relievers over and over to the point of burn-out. Eck keeps pointing this out.

    Others point to injuries for the lack of bullpen depth; some point to getting rid of Diekman, but not replacing him.
    Maybe the thinking was that Barnes was replacing Diekman. Plus Diekman was awful, so replacing him wasn't a big deal.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  7. #1702
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Ok Barnes pitched well against a triple a lineup. I am happy but not impressed.
    Happiness is a good thing.

    Can we all agree on that?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  8. #1703
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Maybe the thinking was that Barnes was replacing Diekman. Plus Diekman was awful, so replacing him wasn't a big deal.
    Remember we used DHern, first, and he was actually worse than the horror show Diekman was.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  9. #1704
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Happiness is a good thing.

    Can we all agree on that?
    Only when it doesn't cloud good judgment.
    Let me put it this way, last night's win was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

  10. #1705
    Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    12,345
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Max, I'm on your side on this issue. I don't think the lack of a star closer is the major reason we are not closer in the WC race. I do think we could have a few more wins than we have, if we had a better closer, but until someone says at who's expense, I'm not sure about claiming X amount of net wins.

    Personally, I wish we had used Houck as the closer from day one and never tried the piggy-back idea.

    I'm okay with using Whitlock as a starter, because we needed him, there, but I wish we could have used him as a high leverage set-up man from day one (multiple innings, too.)

    Injuries and other factors made a lot of Cora's choices "lose-lose," and I think Bloom deserves some heat for forcing that on Cora.

    The fact is, we are 50-6 when leading after 8 IP. For anyone to think we'd have more than 4-5 more wins with a solid traditional closer, I'd like to see an explanation. Plus, had we signed a closer, who do we not sign? If we used Houck or Whitlock as a closer, who starts or sets up? How many games do we lose by using someone else in those open roles?

    This is not an easy thing to prove from either side.
    I know we have beaten this subject to death, and it doesn’t seem to want to go away. I think everyone has their opinions set pretty much in stone, and it isn’t going to be changed, and I’m not going to try, but on two different other venues it was said this week that the biggest mistake the Red Sox made this season was putting Whitlock in the starting rotation, and I think Eck agrees too. Once again I’m just putting this out is to show what’s out in other parts of Red Sox Nation.

  11. #1706
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Ok Barnes pitched well against a triple a lineup. I am happy but not impressed.
    And Davis pitching so horribly against that lineup should have put him directly on waivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  12. #1707
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    And Davis pitching so horribly against that lineup should have put him directly on waivers.
    LOL. Watching Davis pitch I thought to myself "Yea he looked like an ex Pirate pitcher."

  13. #1708
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    LOL. Watching Davis pitch I thought to myself "Yea he looked like an ex Pirate pitcher."
    Hey, the Pirates just DFA'd Austin Brice, so how bad can they be?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  14. #1709
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Hey, the Pirates just DFA'd Austin Brice, so how bad can they be?
    If Hang’em Chaim even jokes about resigning this clown, someone in the baseball operations department needs to take a baseball bat upside Hang’em Chaim’s head!

  15. #1710
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Hey, the Pirates just DFA'd Austin Brice, so how bad can they be?
    Bad enough that they thought he would help them in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •