Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 165 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part III

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    When did player "value" become "what I could get for him in trade?" To me, the "value" of a player is how well they perform and how much fans like watching them play, not the hypothetical haul of prospects one could get by getting rid of them.
    Understood, but let's say we are out of contention in July. Would it make sense to keep players whose contracts are up at the end of the year or trade them?

Teams in that situation have been trading those players since forever, right?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

When did player "value" become "what I could get for him in trade?" To me, the "value" of a player is how well they perform and how much fans like watching them play, not the hypothetical haul of prospects one could get by getting rid of them.
    Come on, jad -- one of those prospects we get for a big league star and homegrown fan favorite might actually make the majors someday!

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Why not just start the Realistic View at 2023 Part I?
    OMG

No, just no.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    " Realistically " the Sox have dug quite a hole for themselves. The first goal now should be to get back to .500. But can they do that ? The offense certainly will improve. They cannot possibly be as bad as they have looked. But when they do take a lead late into the game , they have to close it out. They cannot keep blowing those kind of games.
    No, they cannot keep blowing late leads.

That said, once the offense comes around, maybe the relievers (and starters) will have a little more cushion to work with. Our pitchers have thrown a lot of high stress innings trying to protect 1 or 2 run leads. The pen still needs to improve, but I do think it would make a difference if the relievers didn't feel like they have to be perfect with every pitch they throw.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Well. you are a Yankee fan, so I was saying it like expected you to write about 2023, as a way of saying our 2022 was over, like expect you hope it is.

It wasn't meant to be any sort of demand that you not start the next part.
    I didn't start any part........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    At what point do the six hitters that are under performing start to hit and gravitate toward their career norms?
    It starts tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Come on, jad -- one of those prospects we get for a big league star and homegrown fan favorite might actually make the majors someday!
    Yeah, you're right. Why, one of them might even be the next Trevor Story!
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It starts tonight!
    That may be tough, kyle wright has pitched pretty lights out so far this season......

It's just so unfair that the RS have to play teams better than they are.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

It's just so unfair that the RS have to play teams better than they are.
    You and 5GG's are in quite a battle for Most Bitterly Cynical Talksox Poster of 2022.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by JDavis76 View Post
    I didn't start any part........
    Sorry. I noticed this afterwards.

My bad.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by JDavis76 View Post
    That may be tough, kyle wright has pitched pretty lights out so far this season......
    Yes, I'm aware of that.

Reverse lock mojo in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Understood, but let's say we are out of contention in July. Would it make sense to keep players whose contracts are up at the end of the year or trade them?

Teams in that situation have been trading those players since forever, right?
    Yes. Absolutely. Because I don't enjoy watching Bogaerts or Devers any less because the rest of the team sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You and 5GG's are in quite a battle for Most Bitterly Cynical Talksox Poster of 2022.
    Bah, I mock cynics -- they only attribute the worst possible motives to people's actions. I never said the gentlemen who run the Red Sox have bad motives; they're entrusted by a business to turn profits, and they always succeed.

I just call them out as full of crap when they insist they're all-in -- every single year -- building a roster that supposedly will contend for a World Series title. Fans do understand that may unreasonable every single year... especially entering a season without, say, a back-end of the bullpen, right-handed hitting outfielder, left-handed first baseman, and any bench player who can pinch-hit vs. a big league pitcher and advance a ghost runner one base.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Bah, I mock cynics -- they only attribute the worst possible motives to people's actions. I never said the gentlemen who run the Red Sox have bad motives; they're entrusted by a business to turn profits, and they always succeed.

I just call them out as full of crap when they insist they're all-in -- every single year -- building a roster that supposedly will contend for a World Series title. Fans do understand that may unreasonable every single year... especially entering a season without, say, a back-end of the bullpen, right-handed hitting outfielder, left-handed first baseman, and any bench player who can pinch-hit vs. a big league pitcher and advance a ghost runner one base.
    Saying they want to be continually competitive is not the same as "all in," and look where "all in got us."

Yes, a nice 3 year run and the best season any Red Sox fan has ever seen, but the after affects are still upon us. It's easy to just explain it away by expecting Henry to just keep throwing more and more money to stay "all in," but I don't think he wants to emulate the Dodgers, and he doesn't have to to keep making money and keep the fans perceiving we have a chance every year (except 2020, of course.)
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?