Register now to remove this ad

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Arroyo, brazier, Davis and Robles to Oakland for low “single a” prospect not on the Oakland top 30 prospect list! As an extra added incentive, we throw in some cash considerations and the keys/deed to one of John Henry’s Florida homes!
    The A's don't want guys like them, except for Davis.

Davis is like 4-5 pitchers down on my list of Sox pen arms needing to be replaced.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The A's don't want guys like them, except for Davis.

Davis is like 4-5 pitchers down on my list of Sox pen arms needing to be replaced.
    Got to take the scum to get the cash and the house! Beane’s mouth is watering right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Got to take the scum to get the cash and the house! Beane’s mouth is watering right now!
    It doesn't work that way.

Even if we pay 100% of their contracts, he doesn't want them.

He might want Davis, because he's cheap, has some years of team control left, and is good enough to maybe build some future trade value.

I'm not sure why you put Davis on the your lists.
    Sox 4 Ever

Globe reports Duran won't be playing in the Toronto series because he chooses not to comply with that country's eligibility requirements. But the Red Sox can't replace him with Ryan Fitzgerald, since he's also ineligible. Fitzy -- who has yet to make the majors -- said, "It is what it is."

But that's ok with me, because as a loyal fan I choose to root for all players on my favorite team, whether they wear long hair or short hair, or pant legs down to their cleats or rolled up to their knees. It's all about choice -- so what if the rival Yankees and Astros choose to play the Blue Jays at full strength...

Our kooky Red Sox will take on the world with one hand tied behind their backs... and they'll even tie it themselves.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Globe reports Duran won't be playing in the Toronto series because he chooses not to comply with that country's eligibility requirements. But the Red Sox can't replace him with Ryan Fitzgerald, since he's also ineligible. Fitzy -- who has yet to make the majors -- said, "It is what it is."

But that's ok with me, because as a loyal fan I choose to root for all players on my favorite team, whether they wear long hair or short hair, or pant legs down to their cleats or rolled up to their knees. It's all about choice -- so what if the rival Yankees and Astros choose to play the Blue Jays at full strength...

Our kooky Red Sox will take on the world with one hand tied behind their backs... and they'll even tie it themselves.

I’m confounded.

25 years ago, players were loading themselves up with needle shots because they thought without them, they couldn’t make the Majors. Now guys are passing on their lifelong dream due to travel vaccinations…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’m confounded.

25 years ago, players were loading themselves up with needle shots because they thought without them, they couldn’t make the Majors. Now guys are passing on their lifelong dream due to travel vaccinations…
    It does seem inexplicable, and yet the numbers are pretty significant. Speier's article mentions 4 Twins players, 2 White Sox and 1 Mariner who couldn't go to Toronto.

A rough guess is 5% of players.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’m confounded.

But back then, those guys broke league rules by making unhealthy choices. This is about complying with a country's national law. For some reason, the players' union of one single professional sport is allowed to make that optional.

It makes one wonder how many aspiring big league ballplayers never made it because they chose not to get required college vaccines so they couldn't accept athletic scholarships, develop skills, get scouted and subsequently drafted. There must be dozens we never heard of, now dominating slow-pitch softball leagues.

And if the Red Sox didn't make getting vaxed a pre-condition of his contract, Story would probably not be going to Toronto either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And if the Red Sox didn't make getting vaxed a pre-condition of his contract, Story would probably not be going to Toronto either.
    Good point. $140M for a shot. Duran is a new name just surfacing of not being vaxed.
    Last edited by Old Red; 06-23-2022 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    But back then, those guys broke league rules by making unhealthy choices. This is about complying with a country's national law. For some reason, the players' union of one single professional sport is allowed to make that optional.
    No, it's not just MLB. Some NBA players couldn't go to Toronto either.

Fitzgerald is an interesting case, because here's a guy basically saying "if this costs me a chance at playing in the bigs, so be it", and it really could impact his chances.

Fitzgerald is an interesting case, because here's a guy basically saying "if this costs me a chance at playing in the bigs, so be it", and it really could impact his chances.
    This could get very interesting if the Blue Jays make the playoffs and or the World Series. Can you imagine the reaction if a player makes himself ineligible to play in the World Series?

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    This could get very interesting if the Blue Jays make the playoffs and or the World Series. Can you imagine the reaction if a player makes himself ineligible to play in the World Series?
    It's bad enough imagining the playoffs; if the Jays are the top wild card team, all their games are home in the first round.

All I will say is, "What a mess!"
    Sox 4 Ever

And with him scuffling a little at the plate, I see less of a reason to get him on the 40. If he was 5 years younger, I may have a different opinion on it.
    C'mon, do something...