Register now to remove this ad

Page 116 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2468

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part III

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't want to be a fan of any team that's never won a title.
    Some fans like the process better than the results. Personally I go for the results.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    True enough!

I'd rather be a Rays fan than half the teams in MLB that spend way more than them.
    Bye bye.

Deity
    But up to and through 2003, it’s not like 1918 was so recent I could enjoy it.

And winning that first title in 2004 was far and away the most special. It was something I (understandably) thought I’d never see in my lifetime….

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But up to and through 2003, it’s not like 1918 was so recent I could enjoy it.

And winning that first title in 2004 was far and away the most special. It was something I (understandably) thought I’d never see in my lifetime….
    Lots of good teams with lots of god talent though from 67 to 2003.

Deity
    Breaking News. Paxton pulled after 2 batters in his rehab start today. Report saying lat tightness.
    Last edited by Old Red; 08-18-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Only stat that will matter at the end

Losses
    43 Astros (W)
    45 Yankees (E)
    55 Guardians (C)
    -------------------
    54 Seattle (W)
    54 Rays (E)
    54 Blue Jays (E)
    -------------------
    55 Twins (C)
    56 Orioles (E)
    57 White Sox (C)
    59 SOX (E)

We just need to keep winning. We've won 3 straight. 44 Games remaining. Rays (9 games remaining), Blue Jays (6 games remaining), Orioles (10 games remaining).
    Last edited by Nick; 08-18-2022 at 12:59 PM.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

The goal is always to win a championship. All the owners and GMs can do is consistently put together a team that has a real shot. After that , you just have to hope that things break right in the post season. John Henry cannot will Dave Roberts to steal a base or David Ortiz to get a big hit. During the long drought/curse the Sox had several teams that were good enough to win it all. But there were always a couple of plays that went the wrong way. That's life.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The goal is always to win a championship. All the owners and GMs can do is consistently put together a team that has a real shot. After that , you just have to hope that things break right in the post season. John Henry cannot will Dave Roberts to steal a base or David Ortiz to get a big hit. During the long drought/curse the Sox had several teams that were good enough to win it all. But there were always a couple of plays that went the wrong way. That's life.
    I think for fans, yes, the true goal is to watch your team win it all. The secondary goal is to be competitive as much as possible, and when not, at least be a bit entertaining.

To owners and some GMs, who know their first priority is owner profits not winning, the number one goal is probably to make money. The second goal might be to win rings, compete a lot or to give your customer (the fan) the perception that you are good enough to compete.
    Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    Some folks have a long history of pulling for the underdog ... in sports and outside sports.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Some folks have a long history of pulling for the underdog ... in sports and outside sports.
    I almost always do. many times my favorite teams have been underdogs, too.

Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Lots of good teams with lots of god talent though from 67 to 2003.
    But the comments were about not wanting to be a fan of a team that never won a title. Or bring a fan of results over the process.

I mean, the 1987 Twins - a team with 85 wins and a favorable playoff schedule determined by the old “alternating years” method - got better results than any team Yastrzemski or Ted Williams played for. We’re the ‘87 Twins fandom-worthy?

Yes, and I was a Red Sox fan for 35 years before I saw them win it all. And it was very painful at times.

I'm just saying that given my preference, it's not something I would go through.

I didn't express it very well.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But the comments were about not wanting to be a fan of a team that never won a title. Or bring a fan of results over the process.

I mean, the 1987 Twins - a team with 85 wins and a favorable playoff schedule determined by the old “alternating years” method - got better results than any team Yastrzemski or Ted Williams played for. We’re the ‘87 Twins fandom-worthy?
    Yaz ran into Bob Gibson in 67, and probably no other team would have beaten him either. The best teams don’t always win.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Yaz ran into Bob Gibson in 67, and probably no other team would have beaten him either. The best teams don’t always win.
    But now you’re all about system over results. Results tell you the ‘67 Red Sox didn’t win…

Deity
    I live with two Cubs’ fans. One her whole life and the other just joining the ranks this year. No fans used to embrace their Perennial Underdog status more than Cubs’ fans…