Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: How much would you offer?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, he'll be too expensive

    1 5.56%
  • 7 years @ $25-30 million

    1 5.56%
  • 8 years @ $25-30 million

    5 27.78%
  • 9 years @ $25-30 million

    0 0%
  • 10 years @ $25-30 million

    3 16.67%
  • Whatever it takes

    8 44.44%
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 541 to 555 of 555

Thread: How much would you offer Devers?

  1. #541
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    56,174
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Ask them.

    You think Bloom left millions on the table?
    3M.

    Beni + 3M

    Cordero, Winckowski, De La Rosa, Gambrell, Valdez

    From 21-22, Beni provided about 25M in surplus value. From 21-22, the Sox lost 8M just by putting Cordero in the lineup. If Winckowski just ends up being Anthony Ranaudo, this just ends up being a pie in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sheik View Post
    Devers? Number 1! Mayer? Number 2? Bloom? Haack-ptooey!

  2. #542
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    56,174
    Also, "ask them." You BDC guys really know how to foster a discussion huh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sheik View Post
    Devers? Number 1! Mayer? Number 2? Bloom? Haack-ptooey!

  3. #543
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Also, "ask them." You BDC guys really know how to foster a discussion huh...
    I answered why.
    Sox 4 Ever

  4. #544
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    3M.

    Beni + 3M

    Cordero, Winckowski, De La Rosa, Gambrell, Valdez

    From 21-22, Beni provided about 25M in surplus value. From 21-22, the Sox lost 8M just by putting Cordero in the lineup. If Winckowski just ends up being Anthony Ranaudo, this just ends up being a pie in the face.
    All I said was the Beni trade was TBD, still. I do think the money saved and what we did with it can be counted as a factor, butlike I said, one could use Renfroe or Marwin.

    I'm not defending the trade.

    The Beni portion is over. The Sox haul is still TBD, but I am not as optimistic about it than I was at the time.
    Sox 4 Ever

  5. #545
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    33,745
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Also, "ask them." You BDC guys really know how to foster a discussion huh...
    Presumably to get more back.

    It also didn’t help that the 2020 Benintendi that they traded did look like he he’s as never played baseball before…

  6. #546
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    40,108
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Presumably to get more back.

    It also didn’t help that the 2020 Benintendi that they traded did look like he he’s as never played baseball before…
    In 14 games before going on the IL, not really a meaningful sample...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  7. #547
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    56,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In 14 games before going on the IL, not really a meaningful sample...
    Agreed. I don't think the Royals looked at 2020 and worried that Beni would have to go back to AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sheik View Post
    Devers? Number 1! Mayer? Number 2? Bloom? Haack-ptooey!

  8. #548
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    33,745
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Agreed. I don't think the Royals looked at 2020 and worried that Beni would have to go back to AAA.
    But they might have looked at 2020 and thought “should we be committing $10mill over 2 years here?”

    And that would explain why the Sox paid $3mill…

  9. #549
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But they might have looked at 2020 and thought “should we be committing $10mill over 2 years here?”

    And that would explain why the Sox paid $3mill…
    That or it improved the return from meh to double meh.
    Sox 4 Ever

  10. #550
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    40,108
    The bottom line is the Beni trade and the Renfroe trade were interesting, but at this point unrewarding, and there are only marginal hopes for the prospects we got.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  11. #551
    Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    6,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The bottom line is the Beni trade and the Renfroe trade were interesting, but at this point unrewarding, and there are only marginal hopes for the prospects we got.
    Getting rid of someone who has 96 RBI, and trading for someone who can’t even hit his weight, and paying more to boot is not a winning proposition any time, but Bloom did It anyway, and it worked so well Bloom released him during the season. The Bloom come off the vine on that one.

  12. #552
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The bottom line is the Beni trade and the Renfroe trade were interesting, but at this point unrewarding, and there are only marginal hopes for the prospects we got.
    Agreed. With Verdugo's stagnation, the Betts trade looks worse than before.

    Getting just a comp pick may be the worst move (non move) of all.

    There is still some hope for Wink, de la Rosa and maybe Hamilton/Binelas, but the rest look like duds.
    Sox 4 Ever

  13. #553
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Getting rid of someone who has 96 RBI, and trading for someone who can’t even hit his weight, and paying more to boot is not a winning proposition any time, but Bloom did It anyway, and it worked so well Bloom released him during the season. The Bloom come off the vine on that one.
    Good one!

    Bloom needs a miracle from Hamilton or Binelas to be grafted back to the vine. Serious long shots.

    Horrific trade on so many levels, and that's not hindsight, on my behalf.
    Sox 4 Ever

  14. #554
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    56,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The bottom line is the Beni trade and the Renfroe trade were interesting, but at this point unrewarding, and there are only marginal hopes for the prospects we got.
    And Beni's on-field value was greater than what he was paid. The return so far hasn't provided much. Maybe Winckowski can leverage his arm into a better relief role?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sheik View Post
    Devers? Number 1! Mayer? Number 2? Bloom? Haack-ptooey!

  15. #555
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    And Beni's on-field value was greater than what he was paid. The return so far hasn't provided much. Maybe Winckowski can leverage his arm into a better relief role?
    Wink hasn't been to impressive, but at times, he looked like he might become a useful middle innings eater. I'm starting to think 20 year old Luis de la Rosa is the best bet to salvage something from the trade, and that's not a good thing. He's been in our system 3 years and is not in SP's top 60 prospect rankings.

    As of now, Bloom's best trade appears to be the Workman & Hembree for Pivetta & Seabold trade. Others that still hold some promise:

    German (w Ottavino)
    McGuire for Diekman (a plus just dumping Diek)
    Wallace for Pillar
    EValdez & Abrue for Vaz (solely promise)
    Hosmer (for free), Ferguson & Rosier for Groome (stab in the dark)

    Depending on how you choose to evaluate a trade: 60 games of Betts for 5 years of Dugo and hopes on Wong & Downs. Many see this as a bad trade, and I can understand their position.

    The Beni trade looks bad, for now. The JBJ trade looks hopelessly horrific. (The Moreland trade gave us nothing (Potts & J Rosario.)

    Hard to give an overall grade on just trades, but probably a C- is being generous. It could change to a C+ or B- with some luck, but it could also become a clear D or D-.

    Sox 4 Ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •