Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 5/13 SOX @ Rangers 8:05PM ET

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Wow, your questions are getting much tougher. I have no idea. But I do know that a player can reach 1st base 5 different ways w/o hitting the ball.
    Are you counting a reach on error?
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Are you counting a reach on error?
    Nope, that would require hitting the ball.

Nope, that would require hitting the ball.
    That's what I was thinking, so...

pinch runner
    catcher interference
    3rd strike dropped
    walk
    HBP

I doubt anyone has all 5 in one game.
    Sox 4 Ever

pinch runner
    catcher interference
    3rd strike dropped
    walk
    HBP

Bingo. The one most don't get is pinch runner. That's why when the question is posed, you must use the word 'player' and not 'batter.'

pinch runner
    catcher interference
    3rd strike dropped
    walk
    HBP

If any player did all 5, he would have to be a pinch runner first, so, like you said, I seriously doubt it's ever been done.

How about adding: striking out to end the ninth in a tie game, and ending up at second to start the tenth? (Change question to 'reach base'). And sure: coming in as a pinch runner at first AB (reg. player gets beaned), is probably no rarer than catcher interference.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

If this lack of offense throughout the league continues for the season, MLB may, instead of just lowering the mound again, have the pitchers throwing out of a ditch starting next season.
    You're too much, SPLINTER.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Ok so if you look up all the waits a batter (yes, batter) can reach first base, most sites list 7 ways. And one of them is “defensive indifference.”

Not sure I can think of how DI can be used to reach first base…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    How about adding: striking out to end the ninth in a tie game, and ending up at second to start the tenth? (Change question to 'reach base'). And sure: coming in as a pinch runner at first AB (reg. player gets beaned), is probably no rarer than catcher interference.

So - ghost runner.

Also I would think intentional pass is it own answer now that they no longer go through the dog and pony show of actually throwing the pitches. I mean, without 4 balls, is it still a walk?

We have turned a corner. I felt it on Tuesday. Great win last night and let's keep it rolling to gather some momentum before Houston comes to town
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    We have turned a corner. I felt it on Tuesday. Great win last night and let's keep it rolling to gather some momentum before Houston comes to town
    Turned a corner? The Sox haven’t turned any corners until they can get ahead of the O’s. Nice win last night, but they are still a last place team.

You can't turn a corner until you reach one, and until the RS can win 2 in a row, I can't give them credit for being there.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Turned a corner? The Sox haven’t turned any corners until they can get ahead of the O’s. Nice win last night, but they are still a last place team.
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    You can't turn a corner until you reach one, and until the RS can win 2 in a row, I can't give them credit for being there.
    Agree 100%. Feeling marginally more hopeful after the last 3 games, and that's it.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Bingo. The one most don't get is pinch runner. That's why when the question is posed, you must use the word 'player' and not 'batter.'
    You rarely see a PR early in a game, except for an injury, so that would be the only chance to get near all 5 things happening in one game. I'm not sure more than 3 have ever happened, let alone 5. The catcher interference and dropped 3rd strike are so rare.
    Sox 4 Ever

How about this for turning a corner? In the last 3 games, the Sox have scored more runs (19) than they did all of last week (14)

You don't have to believe me yet, but I see better baseball in our future
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you