Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Most overrated member of the 500 HR club?

  1. #16
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    48,012
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavis76 View Post
    And what of papi's greatly increased size? Have you seen his twins photos?
    Look, I get it. I wouldn't bet he wasn't doing something. But again, the evidence just isn't there.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    The fact that it wasn't illegal back then they should all be the HOF unless they caught juicing after they started testing and suspended people for it like Arod. Mcgwire and Sosa brought back the hype. The coverage that year was insane. It was great for baseball.
    The thread subject is who is the most over rated. This has nothing to do with legal vs illegal.

    Anyone who reached that club that was aided by the use of PEDs has an unfair advantage over those who didn't, thus they are over rated IMO.

  3. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Look, I get it. I wouldn't bet he wasn't doing something. But again, the evidence just isn't there.
    Well, he failed a test.

    And his claims about "getting to the bottom of it" ring about as hollow as OJ claiming he will find Nicole's killer.....

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavis76 View Post
    The thread subject is who is the most over rated. This has nothing to do with legal vs illegal.

    Anyone who reached that club that was aided by the use of PEDs has an unfair advantage over those who didn't, thus they are over rated IMO.
    But the problem is you don't have a clue who actually reached the 500HR mark by being clean. In all honesty 90 of that list could have been juicing or doing something else ( corked bats etc )

  5. #20
    Super Moderator Jasonbay44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    18,987
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    But the problem is you don't have a clue who actually reached the 500HR mark by being clean. In all honesty 90 of that list could have been juicing or doing something else ( corked bats etc )
    Plus some of the guys, regardless of steroids are not overrated. For example, Bonds was on a HOF trajectory with or without steroids and his numbers he put up were video game like.

  6. #21
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    48,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Plus some of the guys, regardless of steroids are not overrated. For example, Bonds was on a HOF trajectory with or without steroids and his numbers he put up were video game like.
    Yes, it's sad that he turned to the juice and tainted his great career like that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    But the problem is you don't have a clue who actually reached the 500HR mark by being clean. In all honesty 90 of that list could have been juicing or doing something else ( corked bats etc )
    ANYone who played in the roid era is suspicious. And that includes several players who made the HOF, with unbelievable numbers or unbelievable sustained longevity.

    It's unfair, but that's just the way it is.

  8. #23
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    42,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm not really sure what your case against Reggie is. I hated him when he was the Yankees, and he did have some clubhouse issues, but he was a hitter to be feared.

    And his postseason numbers pretty much live up to the hype:

    77 games
    278/358/527 - 885 OPS
    18 HR
    48 RBI
    No one said he’s not a great player. But is any member of the 500 HR club more overrated than he is? Assuming any are overrated at all.

    To me the most underrated is Jim Thome. Over 600 home runs. 8th all time. And he just feels like a complete afterthought…

  9. #24
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    69,810
    Fred McGriff missed by 7. He hit 493.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

  10. #25
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    42,804
    If Nelson Cruz can hit 43 more, maybe I’ll nominate him…

  11. #26
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    48,012
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    No one said he’s not a great player. But is any member of the 500 HR club more overrated than he is? Assuming any are overrated at all.
    Northern Star said "Mr October my ass", so I was primarily responding to that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  12. #27
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    I was coming into the thread to diss on Reggie Jackson - .262 batting average and clubhouse cancer, Mr October my ass - when I discovered that a microscope would be needed to detect Harmon Killebrew's batting average.
    Harmon Killebrew had a career OPS+ of 143 and 573 home runs in 2,435 games while David Ortiz had a career OPS+ of 141 and 541 home runs in 2,408 games.

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...illeha01.shtml

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rtizda01.shtml

    Killebrew and Ortiz played in different eras.

  13. #28
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    48,012
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Harmon Killebrew had a career OPS+ of 143 and 573 home runs in 2,435 games while David Ortiz had a career OPS+ of 141 and 541 home runs in 2,408 games.

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...illeha01.shtml

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rtizda01.shtml

    Killebrew and Ortiz played in different eras.
    Killebrew was a great one.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Harmon Killebrew had a career OPS+ of 143 and 573 home runs in 2,435 games while David Ortiz had a career OPS+ of 141 and 541 home runs in 2,408 games.

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...illeha01.shtml

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rtizda01.shtml

    Killebrew and Ortiz played in different eras.
    In the decade of the 1960s, Killebrew's .267 batting average was in the AL TOP TEN.

    Ok, Harm was 10th in BA, but look at some other categories... From 1960 to 1969: Killebrew was 1st in home runs, RBIs, runs scored, bases on balls, slugging and total bases. He was 2nd in OBP and OPS to Mickey Mantle.

    Killebrew's most expensive rookie card maxed out at around $1,700 on eBay this month. That's at least $12 1/2 million dollars less than Mantle's.

    Maybe Harm is underrated.

  15. #30
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    67,653
    Killer was a great ballplayer.

    The worst 500 HR guy is Sammy Sosa. 58.6 WAR and can't even blame it on being a DH. Yuck.

    128 OPS+?

    C'mon man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •