Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Red Sox 1st Round:

Mikey Romero

Have seen him listed as "Marcelo Mayer lite." He's a HS SS from CA, but is likely to move to 2B. Good hit tool, LHB, below average power.

Red Sox 2nd Round:

Cutter Coffey

Generally much lower ranked nationally. Two way player that was announced as a SS, HS/CA. Strong arm means he probably moves to 3B or OF. Good raw power, but questionable hit tool.

Roman Anthony

HS that currently plays CF. Sox believe he can stick there, but scouts think corner OF. HUGE power. Hit 450' shot with wood bat at Coors in HS AS game last year.

3rd - 10th round happens later today.
    All 3 are probably now in Sox top 20 per SoxProspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    All 3 are probably now in Sox top 20 per SoxProspects.
    Well, I think they have to sign first…

Why did we not select arms… we have more middle infielders in the farm system than anything else. Mayer and Yorke are the future. I don’t get what Bloom is thinking here!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Noles_1335 View Post
    Why did we not select arms… we have more middle infielders in the farm system than anything else. Mayer and Yorke are the future. I don’t get what Bloom is thinking here!
    This year is a very poor year for college pitching ... and prep arms have such high attrition rates that the team might wait on diving in there

These are high schoolers, or course they’re short stops. Bloom has done amazing drafting these types.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    These are high schoolers, or course they’re short stops. Bloom has done amazing drafting these types.
    On most high school teams, the shortstop is just the best player. I would bet more college and minor league players were high school shortstops than we realize…

Deity
    It’s easier to move a player off middle infield than into middle infield…

Legend
    Roman Anthony signs for $2.5M, well above slot. Expect a bunch of cheap seniors rounds 3-10.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    On most high school teams, the shortstop is just the best player. I would bet more college and minor league players were high school shortstops than we realize…
    I’d be willing to bet that aside from a few CFers, and Catchers that the majority of MLB position players played SS in HIGHSCHOOL. You might have a few big boy 3b in there playing 1B.

There’s probably more high school CFers than I’m alluding too, with those guys moving to LF/RF in the majors.

Nothing wrong drafting up the middle, it’s what the Sox have done best over the years. Who cares if they play the same position as other top prospects. A LOT can happen between now and when they reach the majors. Top prospects get traded creating space for them, or they can be traded, or moved to another position. They can bust like Tray Ball, get hurt, and if you end up with two studs at the same position you can just trade for the one thing you can’t seem to draft (pitching).

If you’re drafting BPA up the middle, you never blink if you have other elite talent in front of them. You just draft. The aggregate of Sox drafting strategy over the years is on point.

Rounds 4 to 10, we got quite a few pitchers, including one that is 5 foot 9 inches tall.

Deity
    I’d be willing to bet that aside from a few CFers, and Catchers that the majority of MLB position players played SS in HIGHSCHOOL. You might have a few big boy 3b in there playing 1B.
    And that’s part of the reason I hate the phrase “natural position.”…

Legend
    or pitching

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Rounds 4 to 10, we got quite a few pitchers, including one that is 5 foot 9 inches tall.
    They went:

P
    SS
    P
    P
    P
    P
    C
    P

Not sure if they will all sign (Brand). Some of the guys are clearly under slot guys (Hoppe, Bolden).

Rounds 11-20 happen today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    or pitching
    Yes but I was talking about position players. But if we want to broadly say best player in general on any HIGHSCHOOL team it’s up the middle and pitchers. Often both.