Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Yes but I was talking about position players. But if we want to broadly say best player in general on any HIGHSCHOOL team it’s up the middle and pitchers. Often both.
    Unless you're at a baseball powerhouse where you're already slotted into a certain role and they don't want you to be a two way player.

I would assume that most of the best SS prospects at least pitched a little in HS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

@brendan_camp
    Thaddeus Ward named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week.

Luis Perales named Florida Complex League Pitcher of the Week.

Stiwar Adames named Dominican Summer League Pitcher of the Week.
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They went:

P
    SS
    P
    P
    P
    P
    C
    P

Not sure if they will all sign (Brand). Some of the guys are clearly under slot guys (Hoppe, Bolden).

Rounds 11-20 happen today.
    Yeah - I'm curious. Now, they gave a big deal to Anthony ... so that seems to lead to them not forfeiting any pool money. But we'll see.

Brooks Brannon could be insurance incase they can't sign one of the top 3 picks, so if 10 of their top 11 picks sign and Brannon does not it's still a good draft. If all 11 sign it's a really good draft.

I don't expect much today, but gems are found in the these later rounds.

Unless you're at a baseball powerhouse where you're already slotted into a certain role and they don't want you to be a two way player.

I would assume that most of the best SS prospects at least pitched a little in HS.
    I would too.

Sox have $8.48M to spend. If they give all of the bonus to Roman (about 400K), they have to save about 1.3M elsewhere. Each pick from 11-20 is slotted at $150k.

Romero will probably sign for slightly under slot. Maybe 2.6? 400K savings.

Brooks Brannon isn't going to sign. That's 150K savings.

Rogers/Meidroth would also be way under slot. 500K savings.

Pass on signing Caleb Bolden at 200K and you can probably sign the rest of your class. Brooks Brannon is probably not signing though.
    I get MV Pee.

Brooks Brannon could be insurance incase they can't sign one of the top 3 picks, so if 10 of their top 11 picks sign and Brannon does not it's still a good draft. If all 11 sign it's a really good draft.

I don't expect much today, but gems are found in the these later rounds.
    I agree. I don't think he's going to sign though.
    I get MV Pee.

Through 15 rounds:

9 College P
    4 HS SS
    1 HS OF
    1 HS C
    1 College SS
    I get MV Pee.

I agree. I don't think he's going to sign though.
    Allegedly he's signed, so I guess that shows what we know!!!

I do want to be careful here, I saw this posted on soxprospects and have no ideal how reliable the article is.

I know players get drafted and talk like they're ready to sign all the time and then when the two sides are too far apart on bonus demands everything falls apart. A prime example of this was JUD FABIAN, however, according to this source it's a done deal.

If we sign all top 10, I'm loving this draft.

Allegedly he's signed, so I guess that shows what we know!!!

I do want to be careful here, I saw this posted on soxprospects and have no ideal how reliable the article is.

I know players get drafted and talk like they're ready to sign all the time and then when the two sides are too far apart on bonus demands everything falls apart. A prime example of this was JUD FABIAN, however, according to this source it's a done deal.

If we sign all top 10, I'm loving this draft.
    That's surprising. Also, they lose slot value for any top 10 pick they don't sign. My guess is they are anticipating on signing a ton of those guys under slot. We'll have to see what Brannon gets.
    I get MV Pee.

That's surprising. Also, they lose slot value for any top 10 pick they don't sign. My guess is they are anticipating on signing a ton of those guys under slot. We'll have to see what Brannon gets.
    And they lose the 5% overage too, BUT if they were anticipating having to go well above slot for one of these guys anyways then hypothetically they still have a few hundred thousand to throw elsewhere.

I'm intrigued by this "draft and follow" which apparently allows you to give a guy a bonus larger than 150K and not count against the pool and sign them up until a week before next years draft. I guess it was an old rule that came back under the new CBA.

And they lose the 5% overage too, BUT if they were anticipating having to go well above slot for one of these guys anyways then hypothetically they still have a few hundred thousand to throw elsewhere.

I'm intrigued by this "draft and follow" which apparently allows you to give a guy a bonus larger than 150K and not count against the pool and sign them up until a week before next years draft. I guess it was an old rule that came back under the new CBA.
    It's specifically for JuCo guys. Why? IDK.
    I get MV Pee.

It's specifically for JuCo guys. Why? IDK.
    What I want to know is where does the money come from? if they decide to sign him does it come out of next years pool? I'd be willing to be soxprospects addresses this, either in an article or the next podcast, but I'm too lazy to go through all the threads and see or to google it. Maybe I'll have the motivation to do so later haha.

What I want to know is where does the money come from? if they decide to sign him does it come out of next years pool? I'd be willing to be soxprospects addresses this, either in an article or the next podcast, but I'm too lazy to go through all the threads and see or to google it. Maybe I'll have the motivation to do so later haha.
    Until it actually happens, it's actually knowledge that you'll gain that may push out something useful. Also, it's a pain in the ass to find out some of this esoteric MLB rule stuff. Yes, let the podcasters deal with it.
    I get MV Pee.