Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Juan Soto sweepstakes

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Yankees could swing it and consider him the replacement for Judge.
    However the problem is the Yankees would also lose their best minimum wage prospects, too. Plus they have arb cases coming up for Torres, Montgomery, Holmes, and a few others.

Great, he won the derby, now he'll think he's worth 600 Million

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He is the best projected talent going forward2, and he's already proven he is up at the top.

I think anyone in his shows would think they deserve the best deal. I don't hold it against him, but I don't have to pay him what he wants, either.

I am certain Bloom won't.
    He's a great player, for sure. There is just something so inherently wrong with turning down $440M. It was bad enough when Mookie turned down $300M.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Great, he won the derby, now he'll think he's worth 600 Million
    This recent news about his contract demands ruined his victory in the HR Derby for me. I was pulling against him. I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    How many of the usual suspects can swing a trade for him and still afford to lock him up? And do so without losing any current superstars awaiting a payday?
    I don't see it happening. Maybe the Dodgers?
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    He's a great player, for sure. There is just something so inherently wrong with turning down $440M. It was bad enough when Mookie turned down $300M.
    Not many people would turn down $440, if they are pretty certain they can get $460M or more?

I did not hold it against Betts, and I don't for Soto, either.
    Sox 4 Ever

The 29 AAV just wasn't what he wanted. It's not about the money at that point. He wanted the positioning among his peers He'd rather be the highest paid AAV player over 8 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The 29 AAV just wasn't what he wanted. It's not about the money at that point. He wanted the positioning among his peers He'd rather be the highest paid AAV player over 8 years.
    So, $320M for 8? It's hard to imagine Boras urging any client to leave a single cent on any table, never mind $100 million dollars less...

Maybe Washington can somehow persuade Soto to accept the $440M for 10 years... instead of 15. Ugh.

I dunno, the more I think about it, this could be the turning point in baseball salaries. Can any athlete or human being, for that matter -- if he's that rich -- not grow complacent after even half a decade?

Will a soon-to-be set-for-lifer like Rafael Devers still be motivated -- at age 30 or time-ravaged 35 -- to workout all year long with the intent of destroying every pitch? Every year?

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Will a soon-to-be set-for-lifer like Rafael Devers still be motivated -- at age 30 or time-ravaged 35 -- to workout all year long with the intent of destroying every pitch? Every year?
    That's certainly part of the risk with long-term guaranteed contracts.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.