Register now to remove this ad

Page 280 of 441 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330380 ... LastLast
Results 4,186 to 4,200 of 6608

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Still lots to choose from, and some teams might now be less inclined to spend big on a second FA.

We knew the Phillies were going to get a top 3 SS. We pretty much knew we weren't choosing this winter to go large on a SP'er like deGrom or Verlander.

It's easy to start feeling down while watching other teams make big splash signings, but I'm hopeful, despite Blooms statements about wanting to add 8-9 players.
    Sox 4 Ever

Bloom says he's still engaged to Xander, but Chaim won't give him a ring.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Still lots to choose from, and some teams might now be less inclined to spend big on a second FA.

We knew the Phillies were going to get a top 3 SS. We pretty much knew we weren't choosing this winter to go large on a SP'er like deGrom or Verlander.

It's easy to start feeling down while watching other teams make big splash signings, but I'm hopeful, despite Blooms statements about wanting to add 8-9 players.
    Of course about 20 teams have made no moves above the level of minor league contract. The Yankees, Dodgers, Jays, Cardinals, Giants, Cubs, White Sox, etc. Not like the Red Sox are watching the entire league fill holes while they remain idle…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Of course about 20 teams have made no moves above the level of minor league contract. The Yankees, Dodgers, Jays, Cardinals, Giants, Cubs, White Sox, etc. Not like the Red Sox are watching the entire league fill holes while they remain idle…
    But the Red Sox need a busier and more successful offseason than any other team in baseball, arguably.

They're getting close to signing Kahnle, reportedly.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Maintain the offense. Improve the pitching. Improve the defense…
    How do you envision the latter? Franchy is an Oriole, so at least that boosts Boston closer to Baltimore in overall team defense. Maybe Kike stays healthy and in center... though anyone is better than Duran.

Yesterday, Bloom finally mentioned Story at short -- so who will he get to replace Trevor's Gold Glove at second? It's also going to be difficult to find any outfielder better than Bradley. Are the Sox willing to pay for a new catcher who is an actual better receiver than McGuire?

One underrated area is a full season with Casas at first, which will help tighten up the entire infield. In his debut month it was clear Casas is a legitimate first baseman -- and not someone trying to learn the position in the big leagues. To me, he already looks as polished as any Sox sacker since Youk.

But what Bloom really meant when he said he wants pitchers with upside and leadership is that they can throw accurately to every base, including home base. I heard scouts are holding PFP auditions right now in always sunny San Diego...

MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But the Red Sox need a busier and more successful offseason than any other team in baseball, arguably.

I agree, Bloom needs to have a good offseason and he hasn't inspired a lot of enthusiasm in Soxnation. I think Judge/Correa needs to get straightened out before a lot of the other dominos fall and reportedly Aaron Judge is at the winter meetings; it's speculated that he's there to announce his decision. I think one or both of Judge/Correa are signed by the end of the week. After that I think we will learn of Bogaerts fate quickly, unless of course Bloom shocks the baseball world and signs Carlos Correa.

Bloom says he wants One SP'er who "can bring upside, leadership and consistency to the rotation, as well as innings."

Who might he be thinking of?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Bloom says he wants One SP'er who "can bring upside, leadership and consistency to the rotation, as well as innings."

Bassitt
    Kluber
    Greinke
    Quintana
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sheik View Post
    Devers? Number 1! Mayer? Number 2? Bloom? Haack-ptooey!

MLBTR

Bloom speaks...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...additions.html

Globe reports: Tommy Kahle is another pen target. Reports are that the Sox offered Abreu low to mid 40's. (He signed for $59.5/3) It appears we were not close. (Not a good sign.)

Bloom says we may add 2+ pen arms.

Team wants to add 7-9 players, including 3-4 position players.

One SP'er who "can bring upside, leadership and consistency to the rotation, as well as innings."

Bloom pushed back on the notion of "no competitive offer" made to Bogey, saying " “have certainly made offers to him, we’ve been engaged, and we’ll stay engaged.” Bogey is still "a chief priority."

Bloom also noted Story or Kike could play SS, if Bogey departs.

Nate and Wacha are "both still possibilities."

Why is it not a good sign that they were far apart on Abreu? They had a number and Abreu signed with the Astros for much more. I'm glad the Sox didn't extend themselves and overpay. Abreu at 3x45 is a much better deal than 3x60.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    How do you envision the latter? Franchy is an Oriole, so at least that boosts Boston closer to Baltimore in overall team defense. Maybe Kike stays healthy and in center... though anyone is better than Duran.

Yesterday, Bloom finally mentioned Story at short -- so who will he get to replace Trevor's Gold Glove at second? It's also going to be difficult to find any outfielder better than Bradley. Are the Sox willing to pay for a new catcher who is an actual better receiver than McGuire?

One underrated area is a full season with Casas at first, which will help tighten up the entire infield. In his debut month it was clear Casas is a legitimate first baseman -- and not someone trying to learn the position in the big leagues. To me, he already looks as polished as any Sox sacker since Youk.

But what Bloom really meant when he said he wants pitchers with upside and leadership is that they can throw accurately to every base, including home base. I heard scouts are holding PFP auditions right now in always sunny San Diego...
    Casas is the best 1b since Moreland. That's not saying much, but Casas should be ok over there. He's definitely an upgrade over Dalbec.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Why is it not a good sign that they were far apart on Abreu? They had a number and Abreu signed with the Astros for much more. I'm glad the Sox didn't extend themselves and overpay. Abreu at 3x45 is a much better deal than 3x60.
    Good sign: we did not get him. (I don't think he fits our biggest 5-6 needs- nor does Contreras.)

Bad sign: "Being in" on free agents might mean we are far away on all our bids, and won't pay what it takes to get who we want- even if an overpay.

Bloom's setting value seems to be pretty far down from what other GMs are setting, except for Chris Martin, who he paid more than Estevez got (a guy some had ranked higher than Martin.)
    Sox 4 Ever

...and if Bloom is right about adding 8-9 players, that's probably 4-6 more than most teams will add.

Word is Dalbec is being shopped and the Rays are interested.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Bassitt
    Kluber
    Greinke
    Quintana
    I'm thinking...

Taillon
    Nate
    Quintana
    Kluber
    (Heaney seems to be close to signing with the Jays, I think.)

Is he still looking for the next Martin Perez- the 2022 version?
    Sox 4 Ever

Dare we attempt to translate Bloomspeak... "leadership" can only mean old, as in veteran experience... "consistency" better mean durability, because someone who's hurt every other year or month is inconsistent...

... but doesn't "upside" mean having promise and potential? Like, someone who can improve... which means maybe not so good yet... or more likely, not so expensive yet -- though not necessarily with a current address in a bin, metal receptacle, on a plantation or flea market.

Good sign: we did not get him. (I don't think he fits our biggest 5-6 needs- nor does Contreras.)

Bad sign: "Being in" on free agents might mean we are far away on all our bids, and won't pay what it takes to get who we want- even if an overpay.

Bloom's setting value seems to be pretty far down from what other GMs are setting, except for Chris Martin, who he paid more than Estevez got (a guy some had ranked higher than Martin.)
    That's how the FA market works. We knew that the market was limited and the Sox had a lot of holes to fill. If they are going to stick with value plays (like waiting out the Story market), they will mostly be outbid during the offseason. DD isn't running the show anymore. It's not surprising. Should they have spent 22% of their offseason budget on a 1b/DH? That wouldn't make sense to me.

By what metric is Estevez ranked better than Martin?

He has half the career fWAR in MORE innings. Nearly 3x the bb rate. Higher ERA and xFIP. Worse GB%. Worse LOB%