Register now to remove this ad

Page 41 of 526 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I don’t care if Judge hits 70 this year. It looks good, but what are the changes that he has a year like this again let alone stay healthy as he gets older. To me not worth the money, or length of a contract he will get. Raffy to me is a lot better option, and safer bet.
    I’d prefer Devers over anyone except maybe Soto if SD can’t extend him. But I strongly suspect they will..

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    We don’t want to sign Judge because he’s 30, yet Xander is 6 months younger. Judge has a track record and fills an immediate need.

Signing a big contract shouldn’t exclude the Sox from signing others. Despite various claims, the Sox are consistently one of the biggest spenders.

It’s even more justified to spend when you’re going for it. We’ve built the farm back up and reset the lux tax last year, if you plan on staying over you have a LOT of money to spend until you reach the next threshold.
    I think Judge is moot. The Yankees are extremely unlikely to let him go…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Good, that may take them out of the running for other FA's we can pursue, which is why we should at least make a competitive bid and bid his price up. It's not like he's not a premium player at a position we desperately need to fill. Think of it this way, lets say Judge was with Boston and not NY and approaching free agency this year. Do we think a lot more people on this board would want to resign him? or do we think we'd all be wanting him to walk away? Again, you make a great point that NY is likely to make a big offer to stay in NY, we should at least be in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    We don’t want to sign Judge because he’s 30, yet Xander is 6 months younger. Judge has a track record and fills an immediate need.
    I certainly wouldn't want to sign Bogey for the money I think Judge will be getting.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I certainly wouldn't want to sign Bogey for the money I think Judge will be getting.
    Me, neither.

My guess is, we get neither.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Bogey is not worth $30M, and not worth the contract that Judge had been offered already.

This can’t be said enough, which rings 100x truer than my opinion of signing Stanton. Almost no free agent is ever worth the money. Of they’re worth it for a few years and are serviceable players by the end of the contract consider yourself winners.

Timing is important, but at some point you have to spend big. Not saying it has to be Stanton, but someone at some point is getting signed for entirely way too much money and an amount higher than what most think is reasonable. I’d be willing to bet if we took a survey of how much it would take to keep Bogaerts in Boston that 90% of the answers would lowball the true number.

I

If the Yankems don't re-sign Judge, the blow-back in Yankem land would be similar to if the Yankems had traded Mantle at the height of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    BobbY Dalbec! Hell they are trying him at 2nd base. Given Bloom's track record a move to Centerfield can not be far off.
    Dalbec at 2b or CF makes a lot of sense. I also like the idea of converting Franchy Cordero to catcher--that would be a very Bloomian move, and the Red Sox need a starting catcher next year.

Bloom is really into Franchy, he might even consider adopting him as a son.

He may be moot, but he's not Mook. Judge's body is just too big, and therefore too prone to break down early in life, like Andre the Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I also like the idea of converting Franchy Cordero to catcher--that would be a very Bloomian move, and the Red Sox need a starting catcher next year.

Bloom is really into Franchy, he might even consider adopting him as a son.
    This would be ok, but only if they change the name of the position from catcher to misser.

However, Bloom knows better than to call him son, so Duran can't say he's always in his eyes.

too prone to break down early in life, like Andre the Giant.
    I don't know, there is a difference between Judge and a freak like Andre the Giant, who was also a poorly conditioned athlete. Dave Winfield is not an outrageous comp for Judge and Winfield had a 138 OPS+ at age 40. Judge will want a long term deal, a little under 10 years, and will want to be paid at least 30 million per year and someone will probably make that kind of offer. It'll then be up to the Yankees to decide if they want to match it or not and they probably will match it.

NL teams have the DH now, it isn't like the Pujols free agency when NL teams were worried about giving him too many years. With the DH in the NL, more teams will be open to the idea of signing Judge knowing they can move him to DH in his late 30s.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 08-09-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    He may be moot, but he's not Mook. Judge's body is just too big, and therefore too prone to break down early in life, like Andre the Giant.
    What? Big guys don’t deteriorate faster than little guys, If anything the opposite is true, unless of course we’re talking about fat people. Increased bone and muscle size is directly correlated with longevity.

Andre the Giant suffered from gigantism, he was 7’4” pushing 500 lbs. Judge is a big boy, he doesn’t suffer from a condition in which his body is releasing excessive growth hormone at insanely unhealthy levels.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat. I’m just hoping this FO pulls the trigger next year and makes a run for a few years here. As bad as things seem right now I don’t think we are far from being that. But the team as constructed now is lost. I didn’t exactly have a hard on for Judge, just an ideal, but damn….imagine him destroying that green monster.

Alright, take it easy big fellas. My commentary has always been that a lame reason not to pay Mookie was his size, when Judge and Stanton were hurt every single year since 2018 -- except this one.