Register now to remove this ad

Page 512 of 526 FirstFirst ... 12412462502510511512513514522 ... LastLast
Results 7,666 to 7,680 of 7886

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That's a big head-scratcher, to me. WE dumped Renfroe to improve our RF D, then avoided playing Dugo in RF, like the plague, until we dumped JBJ and added Pham. Now, Dugo is okay in RF, we signed Duvall to play CF, which is not his natural position, and he replaces our best defensive OF'er in Kike. Yoshida may not be much worse than Dugo in LF, but he rates to be worse.

We went from "meh" OF D inh 22 to pretty bad, this year.

Better hope after Ws this crew doesn't try to dance, film and repeat -- otherwise, things could turn into a mishmash moshpit.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    But there he was again -- in 2021 -- starting and beating the favored Yankees in the Wild Card.

There can be no such thing as small samples in the postseason, where one size fits all...
    Saying he was the ace of the playoff implieds SSS, so I see no issue saying that.

Nate was also our "ace," by default from 2020-2022, 2021-2022, but maybe not 2022, by itself. Hill and Wacha were very close.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Better hope after Ws this crew doesn't try to dance, film and repeat -- otherwise, things could turn into a mishmash moshpit.
    Leave that to the IF.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    IDK, we've seen some BAD LFers in our time. If he can hit, it won't matter.
    Mike Greenwell appreciates being remembered…

Deity
    That's a big head-scratcher, to me. WE dumped Renfroe to improve our RF D, then avoided playing Dugo in RF, like the plague, until we dumped JBJ and added Pham. Now, Dugo is okay in RF, we signed Duvall to play CF, which is not his natural position, and he replaces our best defensive OF'er in Kike. Yoshida may not be much worse than Dugo in LF, but he rates to be worse.

We went from "meh" OF D inh 22 to pretty bad, this year.

Our 1B and SS D should improve, but 2B is taking a hit.
    Maybe the OF defense wasn’t the motivation to move Renfroe. Maybe they just decided to sell high as part of a rebuild?

If you’re trying to make a sustainable farm system, maybe you have to make the occasional questionable (to others) trade…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Mike Greenwell appreciates being remembered…
    He was exciting out there for sure. The wall may have a few Greenwell shaped dents out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Maybe the OF defense wasn’t the motivation to move Renfroe. Maybe they just decided to sell high as part of a rebuild?

If you’re trying to make a sustainable farm system, maybe you have to make the occasional questionable (to others) trade…
    Trading for JBJ was not selling high, and it cost more to do it. This was a head scratcher before, during, and after it failed.

I believe they mentioned upgrading OF as part of the justification for the trade, but it's hard to believe anything they say.

I do think Bloom & Co. were higher on Hamilton and Binelas than most anyone else, too, and at the time, I said that must be the only reason for the trade, because the finances, skill levels and optics of the trade sucked from day 1.

(This from one of JBJ's biggest fans and defenders up until he left after 2020.)

I believe they mentioned upgrading OF as part of the justification for the trade, but it's hard to believe anything they say.

... but -- if we signed Mookie, we wouldn't have been able to add Ottavino and Richards!

... but -- if we signed Mookie, we wouldn't have been able to add Ottavino and Richards!
    LOL.

Actually, if they kept Betts & Price, they'd have not signed a single new player for 2020 AND had to trade away $24M in salary from someone else.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He was exciting out there for sure. The wall may have a few Greenwell shaped dents out there.
    From where the Gator bit it!! I knew it!!

The thing about Greenwell's defense that bugged me the most was how he's slowly run back to the wall then jump into it. Many times, the crashing into the wall knocked the ball loose.

He often had plenty of time to run quickly back to the wall, then jump straight up and easily catch the ball with no collision.

He never learned.

He never learned.
    Would you expect more from the Fort Myers Public Schools?
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Trading for JBJ was not selling high, and it cost more to do it. This was a head scratcher before, during, and after it failed.
    JBJ also want the entirety of that trade.

We won’t ever know all the logic that went into that trade, but it’s not ridiculous think they wanted JBJ for some defense and liked Hamilton and Binelas as players they hoped to get for a player who was released one year earlier but played well enough to earn a significant raise.

If Bloom wanted to build something of a farm system, trading MLB players at the suspected peak is going to happen. And if they had any designs on someone like Suzuki, the positions certainly made sense…

JBJ also want the entirety of that trade.

We won’t ever know all the logic that went into that trade, but it’s not ridiculous think they wanted JBJ for some defense and liked Hamilton and Binelas as players they hoped to get for a player who was released one year earlier but played well enough to earn a significant raise.

If Bloom wanted to build something of a farm system, trading MLB players at the suspected peak is going to happen. And if they had any designs on someone like Suzuki, the positions certainly made sense…
    Did they ever make an offer to Suzuki?
    I get MV Pee.