Register now to remove this ad

Page 526 of 526 FirstFirst ... 26426476516524525526
Results 7,876 to 7,886 of 7886

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

  1. #7876
    I'm not sold on Casas yet but I'm not giving up on him quite yet. He's still only 23 years old. He's ranked 20 amongst 1st basemen at 99 WRC+

    His OPS+ is only 95 so far this year.
    Hasn't been able to hit much for AVG so far either.

    He also hasn't played 100 games yet in the Majors so I'll cut him some slack for now

  2. #7877
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    I'm not sold on Casas yet but I'm not giving up on him quite yet. He's still only 23 years old. He's ranked 20 amongst 1st basemen at 99 WRC+

    His OPS+ is only 95 so far this year.
    Hasn't been able to hit much for AVG so far either.

    He also hasn't played 100 games yet in the Majors so I'll cut him some slack for now
    His average/ops by month

    April .137/.585
    May .257/.766
    June .267/.848

    Keep in mind, the average batting average and OPS for 2023 so far is .248/.729

    You take out his first month this seasn (as a 23 year old rookie) and he's an above-average hitter. It's not unreasonable at all given his talent, age, and upward mobility that he's only going to get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

  3. #7878
    CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,850
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Woah, don't be showing numbers like that around here. The people who said to give Devers whatever he wants will not like this and will make excuses about it.
    Did you lend Devers money and he never paid you back?
    WAR is good for something.

  4. #7879
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Did you lend Devers money and he never paid you back?
    Nope!
    Can I not have an opinion that they overpaid him too much and he won't be worth it?

  5. #7880
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    17,473
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Nope!
    Can I not have an opinion that they overpaid him too much and he won't be worth it?
    You can certainly have that opinion. It's even possible you are right. But I like his age, 26, and the fact that he's hit pretty well--with a career OPS of .848--since he came up in 2017.

    It's .798 right now, which isn't exactly calamitous, plus he leads the Sox in total bases and in rbi's (he has 60 and Turner has the next most with 41).

    His DWAR (0.0) says he is not hurting the team defensively and he been the AL All-Star third baseman the last two years.

  6. #7881
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    You can certainly have that opinion. It's even possible you are right. But I like his age, 26, and the fact that he's hit pretty well--with a career OPS of .848--since he came up in 2017.

    It's .798 right now, which isn't exactly calamitous, plus he leads the Sox in total bases and in rbi's (he has 60 and Turner has the next most with 41).

    His DWAR (0.0) says he is not hurting the team defensively and he been the AL All-Star third baseman the last two years.
    I understand and I could also be wrong in then end. I just don't see the point in giving a boat load contract to a player where his only strength it hitting. I just feel for this contract to be worth it he would need to OPS in the range of 950 year in and year out just because his D is avg at best and he isn't exactly a speedster in the basepath

  7. #7882
    CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,850
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Nope!
    Can I not have an opinion that they overpaid him too much and he won't be worth it?
    Sure, but he's three months into the extension, and your Devers hate borders on irrational.
    WAR is good for something.

  8. #7883
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Sure, but he's three months into the extension, and your Devers hate borders on irrational.
    This is not based on 3 months. I've mentioned many times before I don't think it's a great idea to offer a large contract like that unless it's to a player that's great on both sides. Meaning a gold glover who can also have a huge impact on D. Otherwise he would have to hit like Ortiz did when he was here and he is certainly no Ortiz.



    And FYI Devers has been like this since August 1 of last year. It hasn't just been 3 months.

  9. #7884
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    43,391
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    This is not based on 3 months. I've mentioned many times before I don't think it's a great idea to offer a large contract like that unless it's to a player that's great on both sides. Meaning a gold glover who can also have a huge impact on D. Otherwise he would have to hit like Ortiz did when he was here and he is certainly no Ortiz.



    And FYI Devers has been like this since August 1 of last year. It hasn't just been 3 months.
    Last August/September, Devers was dealing with injuries. I haven’t heard if that’s the case this year…

  10. #7885
    Deity vegasbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    11,840
    I think the RS had little choice , given the fan base and loss of Bogaerts, except to extend Devers in a market rate contract. I only hope I live long enough to see the outcome of this one in 2033+-.

    RSR has a point about Devers overall effectiveness, forget the money. Raffy's longevity is ,at minimum, a concern , but on a team with no real other star players yet, it's ok to have one in the fold. Good luck to him and the team . Call me when he weighs 260 and can only DH. It should be about 2028. Meanwhile knock the cover off the ball, you full of joy kid ( O'Bs quote)

  11. #7886
    CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,850
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    This is not based on 3 months. I've mentioned many times before I don't think it's a great idea to offer a large contract like that unless it's to a player that's great on both sides. Meaning a gold glover who can also have a huge impact on D. Otherwise he would have to hit like Ortiz did when he was here and he is certainly no Ortiz.



    And FYI Devers has been like this since August 1 of last year. It hasn't just been 3 months.
    They paid him about market rate the way salaries are exploding. I think that's where we mainly differ. He's also very young, and will spend a large portion of the contract on the right side of 30.
    WAR is good for something.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •