Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 526 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm going to do my best to follow your advice starting today. Let's see how I do.
    Other posters told me for years to just let them go. I understand the feeling of not letting people get away with spewing lies, falsehoods and unwarranted personal attacks, but if the idea is to get them to stop, engaging them only emboldens them and switches them into overdrive. It’s what they thrive.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I don't have much faith in any of these guys, except for maybe Refsnyder, who deserves a longer look, in hopes he's a late bloomer with more in the tank.

I'm just saying, these guys will play out the season to see, if there is a glimmer of hope to hold onto one or two of them, perhaps just a little longer. If Casas was ready, maybe Dalbec and Cordero would play less, but I'm not sure we'll see Casas, this summer.

I'd like to see Fitzy, Wong, R Hern, Stewart and some pitchers like German and maybe Murphy & Groome for a bit.

I believe front office decision making going forward has got to be better or we will continue in this malaise. The Renfroe/JBJ trade is one example of where we hurt ourselves for no real financial gain. Then there was the decision on Schwaber vs JDM. Could we have traded JDM and had a designated hitter moving forward? I also wondered why we decided to stay with Dalbec and Cordero. There were some notables available if we had been willing to improve the team. Freddie Freeman comes to mind. Was the cost too high? Just a few good moves might well have put us into contention now. Will Bloom's moves going forward wind up being more beneficial for 2023 and Beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I believe front office decision making going forward has got to be better or we will continue in this malaise. The Renfroe/JBJ trade is one example of where we hurt ourselves for no real financial gain. Then there was the decision on Schwaber vs JDM. Could we have traded JDM and had a designated hitter moving forward? I also wondered why we decided to stay with Dalbec and Cordero. There were some notables available if we had been willing to improve the team. Freddie Freeman comes to mind. Was the cost too high? Just a few good moves might well have put us into contention now. Will Bloom's moves going forward wind up being more beneficial for 2023 and Beyond?
    IMO, Bloom had to choose where to spend. He did not want to spread it out and get mediocrity everywhere. He chose 2B, SP and some on the pen, Vaz option and JBJ.

Obviously some choices have not worked well, but I dont fault him for thinking Dalbec could bridge to Casas, and with Houck and Whitlock in the pen, he could get us to the deadline.

Trading JD would likely have cost us $12M towards his contract. Not reasonable. Better to wait and get a DH next winter.

The JBJ deal sucked, and many of us said so at the time.

The rest was understandable, IMO. We just had a fluster cluck of bad things all happen at once. Kinda like 2019.hard to blame it all on DD, then, as well.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 07-25-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Legend
    IMO, Bloom had to choose where to spend. He did not want to spread it out and get mediocrity everywhere. He chose 2B, SP and some on the pen, Vaz option and JBJ.

Obviously some choices have not worked well, but I dont fault him for thinking Dalbec could bridge to Casas, and with Houck and Whitlock in the pen, he could get us to the deadline.

Trading JD would likely have cost us $12M towards his contract. Not reasonable. Better to wait and get a DH next winter.

The JBJ deal sucked, and many of us said so at the time.

The rest was understandable, IMO. We just had a fluster cluck of bad things all happen at once. Kinda like 2019.hard to blame it all on DD, then, as well.
    Let's hope that the decision made going forward will be smart and at least result in improvements in the team for 2023.

Let's hope that the decision made going forward will be smart and at least result in improvements in the team for 2023.
    I'm expecting it. I still think the majority of Blooms moves have worked or we made based on what should have worked or was the lesser of two evil type choices.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    1. The Schwarber-JDM wasn’t a decision by the Sox; it was by the players. One guy chose free agency; the other chose to stay.

2. The Sox didn’t decide to keep Cordero and Dalbec at first. They just ended up there. The plan (to me anyway) was Shaw/Dalbec platoon eventually/hopefully leading to Casas. Shaw and Casas had various issues that put Cordero back in the picture. And given Dalbec’s last 3-1/2 months last year, was he really a bad option?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    1. The Schwarber-JDM wasn’t a decision by the Sox; it was by the players. One guy chose free agency; the other chose to stay.
    True, but the hardcore Schwarber over JDM people have actually argued the Sox could have traded JD, eating salary, and then signed Schwarb. Obviously making Schwarb even more expensive.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Schwarbs is hitting .202 now. Will anyone still bemoan his absence if he dips below Mendoza?

Schwarbs is hitting .202 now. Will anyone still bemoan his absence if he dips below Mendoza?
    Contrast the free agent slugger the Red Sox let walk to the one they signed instead -- Schwarber: 30 HRs, 125 Ks, .202, .802; Story: 15 HRs, 105 Ks, .221, .713.

According to WAR, Story been more valuable: 2.1 WAR to Schwarber's 1.1 WAR (obviously, because of defense).

Some may argue they fill different roles, but both were immediately moved to different positions upon joining Boston. Is this partially what Papelbon means when he says the Sox always think they can "outsmaht" MLB?

Freeman is a great player, but I think they are going to try to go cheap on the 1b/DH spots the next few years which will free up $$$ for other needs.

I agree that the JBJ trade really didn't free up cash and really only makes sense if the prospects pan out.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

True, but the hardcore Schwarber over JDM people have actually argued the Sox could have traded JD, eating salary, and then signed Schwarb. Obviously making Schwarb even more expensive.
    Makes Schwarb more expensive only for 2022.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Freeman is a great player, but I think they are going to try to go cheap on the 1b/DH spots the next few years which will free up $$$ for other needs.

I agree that the JBJ trade really didn't free up cash and really only makes sense if the prospects pan out.
    It also makes the Benintendi dump look even worse, since Beni was then earning about a third of what JBJ is owed. But I guess the Franchy trade could prove worthwhile if Winckowski can actually take regular turns in an MLB rotation for a few years, and Beni the All-Star signs for a contract too-rich for Boston Market.

Well, moon, I'm glad you're still hopeful about 2023.
    Are you not hopeful about 2023?

Banned
    I'm expecting it. I still think the majority of Blooms moves have worked or we made based on what should have worked or was the lesser of two evil type choices.
    Of course you do, you are a chaim apologist till the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Makes Schwarb more expensive only for 2022.
    You think JD will make more than Schwarb in 2023?