Register now to remove this ad

Page 503 of 526 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,545 of 7886

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Yes. We'll see if anyone else gets added too. I haven't heard anything about how Paxton, Houck or other player's rehabs are going.
    Didn't the rule used to be opening day?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Didn't the rule used to be opening day?
    I know that they used to accrue time as of Opening Day, I didn't remember when they could be added. I'm not sure when/if the rule was changed.

8. A player cannot be placed on the MLB 60-day IL after the conclusion of the MLB regular season, and during the post-season and off-season, up until the start of Spring Training (beginning on the date that pitchers & catchers are scheduled to report). A minor league player can be placed on a minor league club's 60-day Injured List only during his minor league club's regular season.

10. A player who is placed on the MLB 60-day Injured List during Spring Training must spend at least the first 60 days of the MLB regular season on the Injured List (the player cannot be reinstated any earlier than the 61st day of the MLB regular season).
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

The 60 Day IL in Spring Training goes back at least a few years:

02/23/20 Boston Red Sox placed 2B Dustin Pedroia on the 60-day injured list. Left knee discomfort.
    I get MV Pee.

I know that they used to accrue time as of Opening Day, I didn't remember when they could be added. I'm not sure when/if the rule was changed.

8. A player cannot be placed on the MLB 60-day IL after the conclusion of the MLB regular season, and during the post-season and off-season, up until the start of Spring Training (beginning on the date that pitchers & catchers are scheduled to report). A minor league player can be placed on a minor league club's 60-day Injured List only during his minor league club's regular season.

10. A player who is placed on the MLB 60-day Injured List during Spring Training must spend at least the first 60 days of the MLB regular season on the Injured List (the player cannot be reinstated any earlier than the 61st day of the MLB regular season).
    Makes perfect sense.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Makes perfect sense.
    It would be absurd to make a team carry a guy on the 40 man during Spring Training if they know he's going to be out for the season.

They already have 10 IFers on the 40 man. Do they just add a Catcher like Alfaro? Maybe put Story on the 60 day, but wait to add the roster spot depending on Mondesi's progress?

The most recent TalkSox podcast suggested that we may hear rumblings of Connor Wong taking grounders at 2B, especially since there will be weird roster construction with lots of guys going to the dumb WBC.
    I get MV Pee.

I think we will certainly place Story on the 60. That brings him to the end of May.

Maybe we add ...

Niko Goodrum (SP's has him listed on the 26.)
    Christian Koss (IF- listed as starting 3B in AAA.)
    Raimel Tapia (OF- invited to ST)
    Jorge Alfaro (C- has a clause that allows him to bolt, if not added by a certain date.)
    Ryan Fitzgerald (IF- invited to ST)
    Greg Allen (OF) or Narisco Crook (OF) both invited to ST

Who else might go on the 60?
    Paxton?
    Mondesi?
    I have not heard either is expected out for more than a few days or weeks, and as far as I know, Paxton is ready for opening day. That could change on a dime.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 02-09-2023 at 09:18 AM.

It would be absurd to make a team carry a guy on the 40 man during Spring Training if they know he's going to be out for the season.

They already have 10 IFers on the 40 man. Do they just add a Catcher like Alfaro? Maybe put Story on the 60 day, but wait to add the roster spot depending on Mondesi's progress?

The most recent TalkSox podcast suggested that we may hear rumblings of Connor Wong taking grounders at 2B, especially since there will be weird roster construction with lots of guys going to the dumb WBC.
    They have 10 infielders, but how many can play SS and are healthy. (Plus, Kike is part of our shallow OF depth chart.)

Middle IF'ers:
    Kike
    Arroyo
    Mondesi (listed as "IL" on SP's)
    Hamilton
    EValdez (DH/1B)
    Rafaela (OF)
    Dalbec (DH/1B/3B)

Deity
    They have 10 infielders, but how many can play SS and are healthy. (Plus, Kike is part of our shallow OF depth chart.)

Middle IF'ers:
    Kike
    Arroyo
    Hamilton
    EValdez (DH/1B)
    Rafaela (OF)
    Dalbec (DH/1B/3B)
    Kike, Arroyo, Hamilton and Rafaela all have SS experience. Not all are Ozzie Smith out there, but that doesn’t change if they activate Niko Goodrum.

The Sox could activate an OF (Tapia) or they could activate Alfaro, which might free up Wong to play 2b/3b/OF, as he has done all that in the minors.

Of course, Cora has shown a willingness to play Dalbec at 2b and SS.

The Sox might not activate anyone and also have the option of using the Story’s 40 man slot to add some pitching depth (Fulmer? Wacha? Reyes? Whisker? Bundy?)

And hey, if they want to contend right away, Bloom could sell his immortal soul and sign Trevor Bauer..

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Kike, Arroyo, Hamilton and Rafaela all have SS experience. Not all are Ozzie Smith out there, but that doesn’t change if they activate Niko Goodrum.

The Sox could activate an OF (Tapia) or they could activate Alfaro, which might free up Wong to play 2b/3b/OF, as he has done all that in the minors.

Of course, Cora has shown a willingness to play Dalbec at 2b and SS.

The Sox might not activate anyone and also have the option of using the Story’s 40 man slot to add some pitching depth (Fulmer? Wacha? Reyes? Whisker? Bundy?)

And hey, if they want to contend right away, Bloom could sell his immortal soul and sign Trevor Bauer..
    I think with Story out and Mondesi in doubt, we add a middle IF'er.

I think we will certainly place Story on the 60. That brings him to the end of May.

Maybe we add ...

Niko Goodrum (SP's has him listed on the 26.)
    Christian Koss (IF- listed as starting 3B in AAA.)
    Raimel Tapia (OF- invited to ST)
    Jorge Alfaro (C- has a clause that allows him to bolt, if not added by a certain date.)
    Ryan Fitzgerald (IF- invited to ST)
    Greg Allen (OF) or Narisco Crook (OF) both invited to ST

Who else might go on the 60?
    Paxton?
    Mondesi?
    I have not heard either is expected out for more than a few days or weeks, and as far as I know, Paxton is ready for opening day. That could change on a dime.
    Mondessi is supposedly either going to be ready for Opening Day or should only be out for a short time. I have heard ZERO about Paxton. He's basically bigfoot.

I don't see the Sox adding Koss, Crook or Fitzgerald to the 40 man. They were invited to ST because of the missing bodies due to the dumb WBC. I don't think any of them see MLB action this season. Tapia, Goodrum and Alfaro are probably the 3 best players listed. It depends on what the team needs are due to injury, especially up the middle. Goodrum is probably most likely due to the uncertainty at SS with Mondessi rehabbing.
    I get MV Pee.

Middle IF'ers:
    Kike
    Arroyo
    Hamilton
    EValdez (DH/1B)
    Rafaela (OF)
    Dalbec (DH/1B/3B)
    Kiké and Mondessi are the 2 best options for SS. Rafaela won't be rushed. I'm not sure how much 1B Valdez has played or if the club has any idea where to put him. Hamilton can fake it at SS, but really is a 2B. He will probably get substantial OF reps in ST too. Koss is decent at SS in a pinch. I don't think his bat would do anything in MLB though.
    I get MV Pee.

This year is going to be a 3 ring circus.

I might be overly optimistic, but I have a sneaky feeling we are going to be pleasantly surprised by the health status of several injury-prone players, this year, and many of the questions we have will be answered in the positive.

Barnum and Bailey, Big Apple, Cirque du Soleil or Garden Bros? A circus can be fun, interesting or absolutely cruel and horrible.
    I get MV Pee.

Barnum and Bailey, Big Apple, Cirque du Soleil or Garden Bros? A circus can be fun, interesting or absolutely cruel and horrible.
    Exactly.