Register now to remove this ad

Page 30 of 526 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    If they are prohibitively expensive, how could any team other than the Yankees or Dodgers afford them? The Red Sox are not Kansas City or the Marlins or Tampa.
    They aren't but after 2019, they cut salary like KC and MIA.

After 2020, Bloom was handed $40M, which seems like much more than KC and MIA but he had 10-14 slots to fill.

That's not what NYY and LAD ever face.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Fine. I just don't get the constant need to attack the little pocket of supporters.
    Plus, name one "supporter" who blindly supports every move Bloom has made.

I think some bashers confuse trying to justify why Bloom made a particular move or that the financial restrictions add context to why Bloom chose a $5M guy over a $15M guy means we think the move was a success. It doesn't.

I rarely see the bashers trying to add any context. I rarely see them mention Whitlock, Schreiber, Refsnyder, Schwarber, Iggy, Wacha, Starhm and a few others who have already earner their pay and then some along with the failed moves. It seems to be all one-way, and when we try to soften the bashing, we are accused of being total Bloom apologists.

I'm still asking for one name of a poster who has supported all or even 90% of Bloom's moves, and remember, offering context to what a bad move was made is not supporting the move,

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    We have here a few ardent Bloom supporters who will continue to back him no matter what happens and no matter what anyone else says. I am sure they have their reasons. Everyone else is fair game to be ripped and tossed under the bus. But not Chaim Bloom. I do not think most of Red Sox Nation falls into that category. They just want to see results and some good baseball. They are not seeing that and they are not happy about it. Bloom is the man in charge . This is his third year. It is perfectly fair to hold him accountable.

Can somebody give Denny a push? He seems to be stuck.

(For you millennials and younger, this is a reference to how records - the forerunners of the mp4 - could get stuck in a groove and play the same thing over and over and over)

Deity
    Fine. I just don't get the constant need to attack the little pocket of supporters.
    hmm Bell - How do you think I feel being a supporter of Dombrowskis? He has been blamed for so much by so many here in what I consider a weak attempt to support Bloom. We clearly have people who liked the wins but didn't appreciate the cost. I get that but constantly and I do mean constantly bringing his name up now that he is no longer with us in an attempt to support Bloom seems really a sad way to support IMO. Time to move on. I would be willing to show more support for Bloom if I actually liked and I mean really liked his moves and if he a recognizable plan going forward. As things stand currently, I can't watch them. It has to be extremely tough for the remaining winning veterans that we have. Some of them can't get out soon enough and I don't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

(For you millennials and younger, this is a reference to how records - the forerunners of the mp4 - could get stuck in a groove and play the same thing over and over and over)
    Didn't the thing turning have a rewind button?

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    hmm Bell - How do you think I feel being a supporter of Dombrowskis?
    I know what you're saying, but the attacks are against DD, not you.

dgalehouse keeps going after anyone who supports Bloom.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity

To be honest with you I think that it is pretty close to bing the same thing. I'm not perfect but it takes more than a discussion here to send me into attack mode. Pretty sure that I wouldn't have to say much before I would be a target as well. I think that you know for sure how I feel about Henry's budget so to speak. All i want for the Red Sox are good players and for a few years now some here have tried to educate me with what they think they know about his budget. Which quite likely is very little. Thankfully I guess that I am uneducable . lol

I just find it incredulous that a few folks on here are so loyal to Bloom. The product we are watching does not justify it. And I dare say that is the prevailing mood among Sox fans. I am not going after anyone personally. In fact , there are comments directed toward me that I might find insulting if I was the sensitive type. But I'm not.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Vinyl is popular again. Old school. Retro is cool.
    Old school is good school.

Vinyl is popular again. Old school. Retro is cool.
    In a cd or other digital recordings, sometimes the computer has to “fill in” sound with it’s best guess.

With vinyl, you hear the song exactly as it was recorded. It’s why vinyl will always be the superior choice!

When I listen to the beginning of Saxon’s crusader on vinyl and cd, i can really notice the difference.

I support Bloom but I don't think firing him will solve anything. He's done a good job in balance.

He's made some horrible mistakes for sure.

I just never understood the JBJ deal. I don't care how good the prospects turn out but I thought the deal was a big money drain on the team when you consider we're trying to scrape up some dollars to sign some good players. When I saw what JBJ was doing in Milwaukee last year, I thank God he was gone. Then Bloom brings him back. WTF?

JD's season is turning out the way I thought it might. That's why I was hoping to see Schwarber back. One year overlap. He could have helped us and taken over the DH role for three years. WE NEED POWER BATS. Xander is no longer capable of hitting 30 homers.

I don't see this year's 'last place team' same as the three last place teams DD inherited. How quickly we forget that we were up 2-1 on the Astros last year.

I've enjoyed watching 4 of our farmhands start this year. I believe they all possess major league potential.

Signing Xander to a 6 year, $200M is not a BOLD move. BOLD move would be to go after Aaron Judge.

Also give Bloom credit for Hosmer deal. Financial side of it is unreal.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    hmm Bell - How do you think I feel being a supporter of Dombrowskis? He has been blamed for so much by so many here in what I consider a weak attempt to support Bloom. We clearly have people who liked the wins but didn't appreciate the cost. I get that but constantly and I do mean constantly bringing his name up now that he is no longer with us in an attempt to support Bloom seems really a sad way to support IMO. Time to move on. I would be willing to show more support for Bloom if I actually liked and I mean really liked his moves and if he a recognizable plan going forward. As things stand currently, I can't watch them. It has to be extremely tough for the remaining winning veterans that we have. Some of them can't get out soon enough and I don't blame them.

The difference is those who are not fans of Dombrowski criticize Dombrowski.

Whereas dgalehouse is not a fan of Bloom and criticizes people who like Bloom.

In fact, most Bloom supporters criticize Bloom more than he does…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I support Bloom but I don't think firing him will solve anything. He's done a good job in balance.

He's made some horrible mistakes for sure.

I just never understood the JBJ deal. I don't care how good the prospects turn out but I thought the deal was a big money drain on the team when you consider we're trying to scrape up some dollars to sign some good players. When I saw what JBJ was doing in Milwaukee last year, I thank God he was gone. Then Bloom brings him back. WTF?

JD's season is turning out the way I thought it might. That's why I was hoping to see Schwarber back. One year overlap. He could have helped us and taken over the DH role for three years. WE NEED POWER BATS. Xander is no longer capable of hitting 30 homers.

I don't see this year's 'last place team' same as the three last place teams DD inherited. How quickly we forget that we were up 2-1 on the Astros last year.

I've enjoyed watching 4 of our farmhands start this year. I believe they all possess major league potential.

Signing Xander to a 6 year, $200M is not a BOLD move. BOLD move would be to go after Aaron Judge.

Also give Bloom credit for Hosmer deal. Financial side of it is unreal.
    The financial side of the Hosmer trade was outstanding. From that viewpoint I don’t get why San Diego didn’t just keep him.

From a baseball standpoint, I’m far from thrilled. I hope Hosmer does well but I full expect a .700-.750 OPS each season going forward…

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    To me, if we choose to spend the $90M on 4 slots and not the 5 I listed- removing a catcher from the list, we might still have a solid team. McGuire, Wong and RHern handle the staff and catching duties, and now we have $90M+ to spend on 4 slots. That's $22.5M a slot as opposed to $$18M per slot ($90M/5) or $15M ($90M/6).

Maybe we trade for one of those 4 slots and now have close to $90M to fill 3 slots. Now we are talking about being able to make a serious run at 2 or 3 of these guys (not likely):

Judge

Trea Turner/Correa/Swanson/Bogey

Rodon/Verlander (short term)/Kershaw (short term)/de Grom

Haniger/Nimmo

Contreras

We might go with 1-2 large and long plus 2-3 next tier guys like...

Nate/Syndergaard/Bassitt/Morton (short term)
    Abreu (shorter term)
    Muncy/KWong
    TAnderson
    Kike/Brantley
    Cruz/JD
    Diaz/Chapman/Jansen

It will be interesting. We want to be stronger going into the 2023 season. Let's hope that Bloom makes moves during the Winter meetings. So far he treaded water in the opportunities he had. We need to have better defensive players up the middle. The guys you speak of could add an offensive presence to the defensive quality.

I just find it incredulous that a few folks on here are so loyal to Bloom. The product we are watching does not justify it. And I dare say that is the prevailing mood among Sox fans. I am not going after anyone personally. In fact , there are comments directed toward me that I might find insulting if I was the sensitive type. But I'm not.
    Can you explain what "so loyal to Bloom" means?

Is being critical of several of his moves while providing context and nuance being loyal or overly loyal?

Is pointing out that many of the moves he's most being criticized for are not complete, yet, as the prospects are still prospects being overly loyal for your tastes?

Is looking beyond how good we look, at this very moment in time, being overly loyal or maybe just having a different viewpoint?

Had one judged Bloom when we had the 3rd best record in the AL, a couple months ago, we'd have a totally different judgement. Is recognizing making judgments based on a single point in time a sign of extreme and unworthy loyalty or just a different way of viewing situations?

I'm not sure your claim that our positions are based on "loyalty" are all that accurate. I wasn't "loyal" to DD, but I'm glad as hell Henry hired him. He did a fantastic job bringing us 3 first place finishes and the best season in Sox history. Nothing anyone says will take anything away from that, but it did come at an expected cost. I was happy paying that cost and that cost was to sacrifice some of our future success to go all in. I have no regrets, but I also feel like the next GM deserves some slack and time to build the team, farm and system back up to a highly competitive level. The 2021 season got me hopeful it could be done faster than I expected it to take back in 2020, but it doesn't change the fact we had a long way to go to get b ack to or near the top.

If that makes me an extreme loyalist or apologist in the eyes of some or even many, so be it. I think I'm just being a realist. (Not that those who disagree with me are not realistic, as well.)