Register now to remove this ad

Page 38 of 526 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    But at least Duran has some experience there, and this isn't saying much, but he was a much better defender at 2nd than he is in the outfield.
    Even Spier echoes Merloni and writes that Bloom's action are causing confusion in the front office. This moving everyone strikes me as panic. Bloom says he has a plan but it looks like operation chaos . When I was in the Army we had a technical term for what Bloom is doing "FUBAR"
    Last edited by Elktonnick; 08-09-2022 at 08:38 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not against trading away players or prospects, assuming we get equal or greater value in return at a position of higher need.

I do see some positions with duplicated values, even if some of those values saw a tumble in 2022.

I one way, it makes sense to keep as many as possible, in hopes one rises to the top, but too many crowds the roster and creates a situation where a manager has to trial and error until he finds one, if he ever does.

1B: Casas, Hosmer, Dalbec

C: McGuire, Wong, RHern (Cottam)

LF: Dugo, Pham, Duran

I'd be fine trading 1 or 2 from each group, although some would bring back very little.
    Make the choice early and live with it.
    Choose to upgrade not to add quantity.

Bloom's early task and strategy was to add quantity: this winter is the time to focus on adding quality over quantity.
    Don’t want any part of Duran on the Red Sox roster at all. I know you didn’t think Vaz was good enough, but all these catchers mentioned are nothing, but backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Even Spier echoes Merloni and writes that Bloom's action are causing confusion in the front office. This moving everyone strikes me as panic. Bloom says he has a plan but it looks like operation chaos . When I was in the Army we had a technical term for what Bloom is doing "FUBAR"
    I get that Bloom is getting harder and harder to defend, but I'm willing to bet he had almost zero involvement in moving Duran to the outfield. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Don’t want any part of Duran on the Red Sox roster at all. I know you didn’t think Vaz was good enough, but all these catchers mentioned are nothing, but backups.
    With Plawecki gone after this season we need a back up. We need a starter as well, one of those three can stay in Boston.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    If the “backup” is a talented defender who can’t hit, I don’t mind. Vazquez wasn’t a good hitter when he first came up, either and had a 69 OPS+ for his first 1,000 PA…

I get that Bloom is getting harder and harder to defend, but I'm willing to bet he had almost zero involvement in moving Duran to the outfield. I could be wrong.
    That may be true but who is keeping there.

Deity
    He had none. Duran moved to the outfield in 2018, two years before Bloom was hired…

Deity
    We’ll go with that, but I believe it is his decision to have Duran still be playing in Boston instead of back in Worcester, or below learning how to track, and catch a fly ball instead of looking like a 12 yr old trying to catch a butterfly.

Deity
    That may be true but who is keeping there.
    Players do change positions all the time in the minors and even in the majors.

Bloom did keep Duran on the OF, but one reason to do it is the Sox system is completely devoid of outfield talent above A ball, with only Rafaela Cedane as the exception due to a recent promotion to Portland.

So if they put Duran back at 2b - not the worst idea - who plays CF?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Bloom did keep Duran on the OF, but one reason to do it is the Sox system is completely devoid of outfield talent above A ball, with only Rafaela Cedane as the exception due to a recent promotion to Portland.

Does Duran play CF?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Who’s playing CF now? Looks like Pham, and Dugy are doing double duty.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Does Duran play CF?
    BobbY Dalbec! Hell they are trying him at 2nd base. Given Bloom's track record a move to Centerfield can not be far off.

Deity
    Does Duran play CF?
    I didn’t think he had been all that bad in the little time I had seen him, but boy was he exposed.
    Last edited by Old Red; 08-09-2022 at 09:03 AM.

Deity
    Does Duran play CF?
    Yes. Very poorly…

Deity
    BobbY Dalbec! Hell they are trying him at 2nd base. Given Bloom's track record a move to Centerfield can not be far off.
    Dalbec has 2 innings at 2b, fewer than Christian Vazquez.

A lot of those weird positions were more due to injuries and late game switches with no one left. More of a Cora thing.

That said, Dalbec is a corner outfielder and needs to be moved there in the immediate future…