Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 draft thread

All-Star

2023 draft thread

Today is draft day, picks 1-70.

I know not all fans are interested in amateur ball and the big wide world of prospectadum and that’s ok, to each their own! I don’t expect this thread to live long. But we can discuss draft talk here and for those interested in getting to know our picks we can post scouting reports from results as well.

All-Star
    Every year I’ve followed Sox prospects they have had most of the Sox top picks listed as probables. So this list should give us an ideal of who they may target.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2023/07/2023draft.html?m=1

All-Star
    It’s been rumored the Sox are going to go under slot at #14 and cut a deal.

Names being thrown around

Tai Peete
    Colt Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    It’s been rumored the Sox are going to go under slot at #14 and cut a deal.

Names being thrown around

Tai Peete
    Colt Emerson
    It would not surprise me.

It would add some extra Bloom-bashing fodder, for sure.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Some mocks...

Colt Enerson SS (HS)
    Emerson’s one of the younger players in the draft class and there are at least some scouts who think he’s one of the better pure hitters. I’m only hearing them with hitters, including college guys Shaw, Brock Wilken and Chase Davis; and high schoolers with Bryce Eldridge – who supposedly wants to go to a team that will also let him pitch – Houck and Mitchell as other possibilities. MLB.com has the same pick and adds, "Houck, Emerson, third baseman Aidan Miller or Peete would give the Red Sox a prep infielder in the Draft for the fourth straight year. Mitchell could be appealing as well. "

Aidan Miller 3B (HS) mymlbdraft.com

Tommy Troy 3B (Stanford) It's been a number of bats mentioned in connection with the Red Sox, and one of the best on the table at this point is Stanford's Tommy Troy. He's bounced around a bit defensively, but he should be able to stick at third base, where he has more than enough bat to profile. If Boston doesn't go with him, it's possible it looks at some prep hitters still around. -Sporting News. Justbaseball.com has the same pick...It is easy to fall in love with Taylor’s sweet swing from the left side, and there’s a decent chance a team ahead of the White Sox could. Should the draft shake out this way, it would be hard to imagine Taylor falling beyond 15. Taylor’s feel to hit is impressive, driving the ball to all fields with a smooth ease along with a great feel for the strike zone.

The power presently looks average, but he has decently long levers with some more room for strength within his frame. He should have no issue sticking at third, but could play a solid second base as well.

Heaven forbid Bloom could EVER draft the BEST pitching prospect available?? After all we have so many pitching prospects waiting in the wings.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    Heaven forbid Bloom could EVER draft the BEST pitching prospect available?? After all we have so many pitching prospects waiting in the wings.
    As bad as Bloom has been, his ONE strength has been his drafting.

Also, if you look at pretty much every mock draft out there, there’s almost no pitching talent around where the Sox are pitching. This is one of the most position heavy drafts we’ve seen in a very very long time

All-Star

Bloom was rumored to be picking Matt McLain and sign him to an under slot deal.

Obviously things changed when Mayer fell. McLain fell to #17 currently sporting a .880 OPS and plus defense at SS at the MLB level in Cincinnati.

I don’t think anyone would have complained about that.

This is the draft class where the high schoolers who didn’t get drafted because of Covid are eligible in the draft. This will be the deepest college class in the draft ever. Position players are 5x safer. I have zero problem going way later in the rounds in pitching. If you have the right scouts and department developing them, that’s a wining strategy. If your first pick busts, it can really blow up your draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    Just pick the player you think is best. Position should not be a factor, unless you think it is an exact tie.

BTW, our young pitchers have been shining, of late, and the farm has some encouraging pitchers, too.

All-Star
    Just pick the player you think is best. Position should not be a factor, unless you think it is an exact tie.

BTW, our young pitchers have been shining, of late, and the farm has some encouraging pitchers, too.
    Sox have a horrible record of drafting pitching in the first round too

Also, if you look at pretty much every mock draft out there, there’s almost no pitching talent around where the Sox are pitching. This is one of the most position heavy drafts we’ve seen in a very very long time
    He seems to have improved on our IFA signings, as well.

He also added prospects Whitlock, Winck, Wong, EValdez, Abreu, Kelly, Gambrell and others in nondraft/IFA methods.

To me, this was his number one priority- maybe co-number one with fixing the budget. I think he has done well in both areas, but his grade is incomplete, to me.

Building up the 26 and 40 man roster foundation has been more difficult, especially with dwindling budgets for his first 3 seasons, and virtually no farm help until Bello & Duran, this year, so I find it hard to grade him on just W-L results.

I think our foundation is much stronger than in 2019, but much of it is speculative, in nature.

Farm: INC (Already seeing Whitlock, Wong & Wink is a good start.)
    Budget: INC (The Yoshida, Story and Devers signings are still pending)
    MLB Foundation (26 & 40 man rosters): C- maybe. (2020 does not count, to me. 2021 was a plus. 2022 was a minus. This year is INC.)

I'm assuming the poster who keep talking about the legion of "Bloom Supporters" thinks I'm one, but I don't see it that way. To me, he appears to have done what he was told to do, and the major results are still pending. I'm not going to ding him for selecting HS players and delaying the farm's ML impact, until we see how well or poorly they do.

Sox have a horrible record of drafting pitching in the first round too
    Not Bloom. He doesn't do it.

Bloom was rumored to be picking Matt McLain and sign him to an under slot deal.

Obviously things changed when Mayer fell. McLain fell to #17 currently sporting a .880 OPS and plus defense at SS at the MLB level in Cincinnati.

I don’t think anyone would have complained about that.

This is the draft class where the high schoolers who didn’t get drafted because of Covid are eligible in the draft. This will be the deepest college class in the draft ever. Position players are 5x safer. I have zero problem going way later in the rounds in pitching. If you have the right scouts and department developing them, that’s a wining strategy. If your first pick busts, it can really blow up your draft.
    Well said. When I said "tied," I meant factoring in the higher risk pitchers bring to a draft.

Taking Mayer aside { no brainer pick given he was ranked #1} what great draft picks has Bloom made? we all know he hoards prospects so drafting SS and 2B every year in the first rd makes no sense to me but I know this is a losing argument. Name these top pitching prospects Bloom has brought us please.

It seems to hurt more when that top pick is top 15.

Here's a look at our "top picks:"

Theo
    '03: David Murphy (pretty solid pick at #17)
    '04: 2nd rd Pedroia at #65 WOW!
    '05: Jacoby Ellsbury (#23 comp pick for OCab) and Craig Hansen (#26 BUST)
    '06: Jason Place (#27 BUST)
    '07: 2nd rd Nick Hagadone (#55 and a rare pitcher with our first pick)
    '08: Casey Kelly (#30 a pitcher that was traded for AGon)
    '09: Raymond Fuentes (#28 BUST)
    '10 Kolbrin Vitek (#20 BUST)
    '11 Matt Barnes (Pitcher #26 comp for VMart) & Blake Swihart (#26 com for Beltre)

Ben
    '12 Deven Marrero (#24), Brian Johnson (#31 Comp for Papelbon) & Pat Light (#37 also for Papelbon)
    '13: Trey Ball (#7 Biggest Bust and a pitcher)
    '14: Michael Chavis (#26) & Michael Kopech (#33 P traded for Sale)
    '15: Andrew Benintendi (#7)
    '16: Jay Groome (#12 HS pitcher - likely a bust)

DD
    '17: Tanner Houck (#24 P looking pretty good)
    '18: Tristan Casas (#26)
    '19: 2nd rd Cameron Cannon (#43 BUST)

Bloom
    '20: Nick Yorke (#17)
    '21: Marcelo Mayer (#4- the highest pick by the Sox)
    '22: Mikey Romero (#24) (Anthony picked 79th got a bigger signing bonus)