Register now to remove this ad

Page 100 of 526 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 7886

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Well, you rely so heavily on the here and now, despite evidence that shows that adding guys based on only one good year in the last few years is a losing idea more often than not.

I have no evidence based on 2022 to say Barnes is more reliable than Bard, so providing past numbers would just fall on deaf ears. (BTW, I don't think either Barnes or Bard are "reliable" for 2023, but both have significant hopes they can be. I'd be okay with saying maybe Bard has slightly better hopes, but to me, both have similar outlooks going forward.)

Agree to disagree and move on.
    Boy you are really grasping at something to be pinning any kind of hopes on Barnes? You want to go back before 2022 to help your case for Barnes go for it. We do agree at 37 Bard might not be reliable for the next two years of his contract, but I still take him over Barnes. Moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    57-32-63-32

57 inn-32 hits-63K’s, and 32 saves. That’s pretty good for me, and Barnes is as reliable as that? I’ll take Bard to be the CLOSER over any of the 4 Red Sox pitchers you mentioned. I’m not saying Bard is better than Whitlock, but Whitlock hasn’t proved he can be a closer which is what we’re talking about. Your just assuming that Schreiber will be as good next year, and i wouldn’t take that chance. I know you wouldn’t spend money on a closer, and I would. Two entirely different philosophies just like you saying Bard is not anymore reliable than Barnes. You got stats that show different? I talking now, and not then.
    One thing I find puzzling. You seem to rely heavily on what certain players are doing for their team, right now or this year and only this year, but when it came to Kike, last fall. You went out of your way to stress his past as a utility guy with a .240 BA. Why is Bard's past not important, but Kike's was, last year?

I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm just curious why the criteria changes for certain players.

To me, Kike has had some very good years in the past 5 seasons. He's had some that were not so nice, but his defense has been steady, and he's been a plus one or more player since 2016.

Bard was out of baseball for like 7 years, and sucked, last year. I'm not sure why he is viewed more reliable and highly, by you, than someone like Kike.
    Sox 4 Ever

Boy you are really grasping at something to be pinning any kind of hopes on Barnes? You want to go back before 2022 to help your case for Barnes go for it. We do agree at 37 Bard might not be reliable for the next two years of his contract, but I still take him over Barnes. Moved on.
    Read my words:

"I don't think either Barnes or Bard are "reliable"

I'd like both as my 7th or 8th RP'er- maybe 5th or 6th, if the top 4 are solid, but I have slight hopes for both in 2023.
    Sox 4 Ever

How about looking at 2022?

Since August 11th, Barnes has pitched in 17 games (16.1 IP)
    15 Hits
    4 BB
    18 Ks
    1.65 ERA
    2.01 FIP
    .558 OPS Against

I'm not expecting this for 2023, but it does provide some hopes. You, apaprently have no hopes, at all.

Forget the first half of 2021. He will not return to that, either, but he has a long history of being pretty good. He had 11 bad innings in 2021 and 20 IP to start 2022, and that's enough for you to lose every ounce of hope.

Many very good RP'ers have bad 30 inning stretches in their careers and then go on to be very effective, afterwards. Do you doubt this? Do you really have no hopes for Barnes?
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    One thing I find puzzling. You seem to rely heavily on what certain players are doing for their team, right now or this year and only this year, but when it came to Kike, last fall. You went out of your way to stress his past as a utility guy with a .240 BA. Why is Bard's past not important, but Kike's was, last year?

I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm just curious why the criteria changes for certain players.

To me, Kike has had some very good years in the past 5 seasons. He's had some that were not so nice, but his defense has been steady, and he's been a plus one or more player since 2016.

Bard was out of baseball for like 7 years, and sucked, last year. I'm not sure why he is viewed more reliable and highly, by you, than someone like Kike.
    Really? Really? You want to come back with Kike? For all I know Bard may be having a career year this year never to be seen again, and at his age that’s quite possible, but to put Kike into the conversation is really like wow, and I’m not even going there.

Deity
    How about looking at 2022?

Since August 11th, Barnes has pitched in 17 games (16.1 IP)
    15 Hits
    4 BB
    18 Ks
    1.65 ERA
    2.01 FIP
    .558 OPS Against

I'm not expecting this for 2023, but it does provide some hopes. You, apaprently have no hopes, at all.

Forget the first half of 2021. He will not return to that, either, but he has a long history of being pretty good. He had 11 bad innings in 2021 and 20 IP to start 2022, and that's enough for you to lose every ounce of hope.

Many very good RP'ers have bad 30 inning stretches in their careers and then go on to be very effective, afterwards. Do you doubt this? Do you really have no hopes for Barnes?
    I thought we were moving on like you said?

I thought we were moving on like you said?
    So, you have no hope for Barnes going forward?
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    So, you have no hope for Barnes going forward?
    I have hope, but not counting on him. If he comes back great.

I have hope, but not counting on him. If he comes back great.
    I don't expect anything either, but you seemed to be surprised I had any hopes at all.

I'd start by pencilling him in as our 7th or 8th RP'er, due to no options and his salary, but ST'ing may move him up. I doubt we DFA him, even if he has a shitty spring. They may try to IL him, if that happens.

I also wonder, if Diekman had trade value, we might end up trading him (Barnes), with some cash, if we feel he will b e no help going forward.

I don't think a 30 IP bad stretch by a pretty reliable RP over 5-6 years should be enough to lose all hope.

As of now, he has to prove he does not belong on the 26- not the other way around.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 09-24-2022 at 02:08 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    I don't expect anything either, but you seemed to be surprised I had any hopes at all.

I'd start by pencilling him in as our 7th or 8th RP'er, due to no options and his salary, but ST'ing may move him up. I doubt we DFA him, even if he has a shitty spring. They may try to IL him, if that happens.

I also wonder, if Diekman had trade value, we might end up trading him, with some cash, if we feel he will b e no help going forward.

I don't think a 30 IP bad stretch by a pretty reliable RP over 5-6 years should be enough to lose all hope.

As of now, he has to prove he does not belong on the 26- not the other way around.
    Diekman?

Diekman?
    Sorry. My post was not clearly stated. My bad.

Diekman had trade value, yes. We got the CWS to pay his full 2022-2023 contract while giving us our starting catcher for the next 2 years.

If he had value, maybe Barnes (with some cash) might, too.

(I went back and edited my previous post.)
    Sox 4 Ever

The four steps this offseason to get us to the World Series:

1.) sign short stop trea turner! Bye bye bogey, good luck chasing those dollars.
    2.) sign closer Diaz. cohen has really deep pockets so Hang’em Chaim is going to have get creative.
    3.) trade for or sign a stud outfielder. Preferably with power!
    4.) replace the sorry excuse for a medical staff we currently have with competent medical personnel so we can stay healthier in 2023!!!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post

1.) sign short stop trea turner! Bye bye bogey, good luck chasing those dollars.
    2.) sign closer Diaz. cohen has really deep pockets so Hang’em Chaim is going to have get creative.
    4.) replace the sorry excuse for a medical staff we currently have with competent medical personnel so we can stay healthier in 2023!!!

So what do you want in a medical staff? Someone who can steal Sale’s bike?

I’ve seen people complain about the medical staff on forums for far too long, probably through several dozen trainers and doctors. But somehow each and every one was incompetent, probably because players still got hurt.

Folks - players getting injured is not the fault of the medical staff. When you stub your toe at home or cut yourself shaving, do you blame your doctor then, too? Their athletes doing physical things and that can cause physical pain. It’s part of sports…

So, with these you forgot #5 JH sells the team to a bigger spender.
    Sox 4 Ever

Yeah I'm getting rid of my doctors to; I don't like the fact that I got Covid, had the flu earlier, got a concussion, and am generally not as strong as I was fifty years ago. Then I'm firing everyone who does work for me and hiring a bunch of stoner dudes I know nothing about.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.