Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees trade J.Montgomery for H.Badder

Yankees trade J.Montgomery for H.Badder

Another strange deal by Cashman.

This would have made sense if they were following it up with a trade for Rodon or Syndergaard. But I don't see any follow up trade and the deadline has passed, so my question is why? They traded pretty much all of the starters in the minors who could be depth for this season (Waldichuk, Wesneski, Sears), and then traded away their 5th best starter so that now German will be forced to start for the rest of the season. If someone goes down then who gets called up?

Maybe this is part of a bigger picture that I can't see, but it's definitely befuddling.

This one is weird. Bader is an elite defensive CFer who had two plus offensive seasons prior to this one. We dealt Sears, so I’m not seeing who is our 5th starter here unless we figure German is gonna hold onto the job for now and Schmidt takes it later?

Banned
    Dumb move IMO. And Bader is in a walking boot right now and won't be available for another 2 weeks.

So it seems Cashman wants to get Judge out of CF. The wear and tear of playing CF has caused Judge to miss a few games due to lower body soreness. But, he’s been playing good defense and Hicks has clearly lost a step. The only other guy capable on the roster was Gallo until they dealt him away. Bringing in Bader gives the Yankees a true blue GG caliber CFer. This allows Judge to return to RF where he’s GG caliber and currently have Beni in LF where he’s won a GG. This moves Hicks to 4th OFer, which makes some sense since Hicks is a switch hitter and won’t need to be shoehorned into a game or two based on matchup. This also allows Stanton to return to full time DH on his return from Achilles tendinitis.

While I understand and agree with the reasoning, I don’t like removing pitching. We sent Sears, Wesneski, and Waldichuk away previously. Now sending an established middle of the order starter away leaves us somewhat vulnerable. German has been shaky. Severino cant come back til September (although he can ramp up to a starter’s workload in the minors). Schmidt becomes the 6th starter all stretched out in AAA. Not to mention you just traded for Montas who just missed time with a shoulder. If they wanted this guy so badly, make the trade in the off-season. Not sure why it had to be now

It sounds like Bader is a stud defensive player but the Yankees have that guy in AAA and could call him up while keeping Montgomery. Montgomery isn't Steve Carlton, I get that, but he is good enough to be the 4th starter in a 7 game playoff series. I don't like subtracting depth from a starting rotation when you are a win-now team and a buyer at the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    It sounds like Bader is a stud defensive player but the Yankees have that guy in AAA and could call him up while keeping Montgomery. Montgomery isn't Steve Carlton, I get that, but he is good enough to be the 4th starter in a 7 game playoff series. I don't like subtracting depth from a starting rotation when you are a win-now team and a buyer at the trade deadline.
    They’re putting a lot of chips on severino’s injured shoulder. He’s started throwing again and if they ramp him up slowly on a rehab assignment, they can get him to a starter’s workload by the time he’s activated Sept 16. A healthy Severino does make Monty irrelevant for the POs. But it’s a gamble they didn’t have to make. Monty isn’t the second coming of Andy Pettitte, but he was good for 5 innings and 2ER. He had some ridiculous run recently broken where he had something like 13 straight starts not allowing 3ER. He wasn’t flashy. He wasn’t dominant. He was consistent.

1. Cole
    2. Montas
    3. Cortes
    4. Severino

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    They’re putting a lot of chips on severino’s injured shoulder. He’s started throwing again and if they ramp him up slowly on a rehab assignment, they can get him to a starter’s workload by the time he’s activated Sept 16. A healthy Severino does make Monty irrelevant for the POs. But it’s a gamble they didn’t have to make. Monty isn’t the second coming of Andy Pettitte, but he was good for 5 innings and 2ER. He had some ridiculous run recently broken where he had something like 13 straight starts not allowing 3ER. He wasn’t flashy. He wasn’t dominant. He was consistent.

1. Cole
    2. Montas
    3. Cortes
    4. Severino
    I thought it was listed as a lat strain?

Quote Originally Posted by JDavis76 View Post
    I thought it was listed as a lat strain?
    You are correct
    Hal sucks

Banned
    You are correct
    That's a relief, I'd rather a lat strain than shoulder problems.

Sevy has a heck of a hard time staying on the field.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Sevy has a heck of a hard time staying on the field.
    They're babying him. This is a 3-4 week injury and they already put him on the 60 day
    Hal sucks

They're babying him. This is a 3-4 week injury and they already put him on the 60 day
    I get why though. He has a hard time staying healthy for an extended period of time, and with the Yankees' command of the division the priority should be making sure he's ready for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    I get why though. He has a hard time staying healthy for an extended period of time, and with the Yankees' command of the division the priority should be making sure he's ready for the playoffs.
    Me too. There is no reason to kill yourself for the 1 seed. If we roll into the POs with Cole, Cortes, Montas and Sevy dealing, I will take our chances
    Hal sucks

Banned
    Meh, he's on an innings limit anyways.

I guess they figured they'd rather have him pitch meaningful games while rested in Sept/Oct than to burn out early and maybe not be available for the postseason.