Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/4 at Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Going forward, the Red Sox should have a better starting line-up with Hosmer, Pham and McGuire than Franchy, JBJ and Vazquez. And a better bullpen without Diekman...

Who disagrees?
    Addition by subtraction. A mentor once told me that poor performers will drag you down more by hanging around than if they are just gone . I do not think Vaz was a poor performer and actually helped this team stay at .500 .

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Going forward, the Red Sox should have a better starting line-up with Hosmer, Pham and McGuire than Franchy, JBJ and Vazquez. And a better bullpen without Diekman...

Who disagrees?

I'd rather have Vazquez in the lineup than McGuire. I notice Duran is starting tonight instead of Dugo. Is Dugo being rested?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Addition by subtraction. A mentor once told me that poor performers will drag you down more by hanging around than if they are just gone . I do not think Vaz was a poor performer and actually helped this team stay at .500 .
    Best move Bloom made this year: DFA for JBJ

Worst move Bloom made this year: trading Renfro for JBJ

For all his faults Renfro is at least a MLB player. JBJ is a late innings replacement at best and apparently, the Sox no longer think he is even that.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Best move Bloom made this year: DFA for JBJ

Worst move Bloom made this year: trading Renfro for JBJ

For all his faults Renfro is at least a MLB player. JBJ is a late innings replacement at best and apparently, the Sox no longer think he is even that.
    Best move:
    Getting Schreiber off waivers

Second best:
    Signing Refsynder to a minor league deal

Third best:
    Signing Wacha and Strahm, both of whom have already earned their pay.

Fourth best:
    Finding someone to take Diekman's contract and amazingly give us a catcher with 2+ years of team control.

5th, 6th, and 7th are so minor and bunched, I'm not sure it matters where we rank them:

Getting Hosmer for min wage.
    Getting two rising prospects for 2 months of Vaz.
    DFA'ing JBJ, Robles & Shaw.
    Signing Danish to peanuts.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Best move:

Second best:

Third best:

Fourth best:
    Finding someone to take Diekman's contract and amazingly give us a catcher with 2+ years of team control.

5th, 6th, and 7th are so minor and bunched, I'm not sure it matters where we rank them:

Wacha? Who's he?

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Wacha? Who's he?

I just looked him up on Google. I'd forgotten he's a SOX pitcher. Thank goodness for the internet.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Best move:

Second best:

Third best:

Fourth best:

Thats Kyle Schwarber. I don't know who Schreiber is.

Frankly I am less impressed with moves at the deadline than actual trades before the deadline or in the off season. Trades at the deadline can often simply represent a MLB wide understanding of a massive weakness on one team that is recognized by the entirety of MLB including somebody that absolutely positively has to move a player....like Hosmer from SD to Boston.

Wacha and Strahm....not bad.

Problem with the McGuire deal is that McGuire is not going to amaze anybody.

Two rising prospects for Vaz. Great...not sure they are rising very far and trading away your front line catcher means you have given up on the year....no matter what blather comes out of Bloom's mouth.

Blooms model is an efficiency model. Beane's mode is also an efficiency model. Neither are WS ring models. Has Beane won one of these things for all of his years of spread sheeting? Did Bloom win one in Tampa? I do think Bloom's model favors pitching which I think is a good thing. Beane's model appears to just value players without a bias toward pitching. That said both are efficiency models which I simply don't think match the assets and championship capabilities of a big market team like the Boston Red Sox. I think we are just setting ourselves up for years of eating Yankee exhaust, years of Red Sox mediocrity. Somewhere along the way, if enough of Bloom's bevy of flotsam and jetsam of prospects "bloom" we might make a real run....if not....not.

Hosmer begins his short career with the SOX at the place where his ML baseball career started. How ironic.

The Royals have Boob Itch and the SOX have Bra Man. How ironic.

DEVERS DEliVERS!

With Bloom at the helm JBJ will be in Spring Training you watch..

Pivettaboutit!

An opposing team can run all day against CERA king Plawecki.

Sometimes I'd like to Fuggedabout Pivettabout. Why is Plawecki catching ? I thought we bought ourselves a shiny new player.?

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Thats Kyle Schwarber. I don't know who Schreiber is.

Frankly I am less impressed with moves at the deadline than actual trades before the deadline or in the off season. Trades at the deadline can often simply represent a MLB wide understanding of a massive weakness on one team that is recognized by the entirety of MLB including somebody that absolutely positively has to move a player....like Hosmer from SD to Boston.

Wacha and Strahm....not bad.

Problem with the McGuire deal is that McGuire is not going to amaze anybody.

Two rising prospects for Vaz. Great...not sure they are rising very far and trading away your front line catcher means you have given up on the year....no matter what blather comes out of Bloom's mouth.

Blooms model is an efficiency model. Beane's mode is also an efficiency model. Neither are WS ring models. Has Beane won one of these things for all of his years of spread sheeting? Did Bloom win one in Tampa? I do think Bloom's model favors pitching which I think is a good thing. Beane's model appears to just value players without a bias toward pitching. That said both are efficiency models which I simply don't think match the assets and championship capabilities of a big market team like the Boston Red Sox. I think we are just setting ourselves up for years of eating Yankee exhaust, years of Red Sox mediocrity. Somewhere along the way, if enough of Bloom's bevy of flotsam and jetsam of prospects "bloom" we might make a real run....if not....not.
    I always enjoy reading your assessments jung, regardless I agree or not. Thank you. Heck of a poster here.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.