Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
I suspect you are one of those who believe that JH should spend whatever it takes because he's so rich (a billionaire) and can afford it. Well guess what? He got rich because he knows how to turn a profit, which is what he has done assiduously with the Sox since he bought them. Their overall resale value has skyrocketed. Plus of course the four WS titles. Along the way, John Henry and whatever team he has working for him have been more than willing to let players, even good ones, go: Manny; Lester; Beckett; Lackey; AGon; Ellsbury; Reddick; Iglesias; Beni; Mookie. He kept Big Papi because Ortiz was in fact a bargain. So was Pedroia until the injury. Price was not. Ellsbury was not, but the Yankees had to learn that.

One more time, my favorite tune--big salary packages rarely pay off for the simple reason that most often a player's best years are before he gets that huge contract. I think Mike Trout is clearly an exception despite the recent setback (which could be permanent). And there are others, but not many.
If I already said I could care less if JH payed out a $500M dollar payroll did you have to ask any other questions? That was your answer.