Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eck Is Retiring

Eck Is Retiring

I am very sad to hear the news that Eck is retiring from NESN at the end of the year. He is the best analyst in the business. He is the one reason I enjoy the NESN broadcasts because I sure don't enjoy the product on the field. He has been a joy to listen to and when he and Jerry were in the booth together it was great. He is moving to California to be closer to his grandchildren. Can't blame him for that. Enjoy retirement Eck. You will be missed by all Red Sox fans.

Banned
    He's annoying as can be.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    I am very sad to hear the news that Eck is retiring from NESN at the end of the year. He is the best analyst in the business. He is the one reason I enjoy the NESN broadcasts because I sure don't enjoy the product on the field. He has been a joy to listen to and when he and Jerry were in the booth together it was great. He is moving to California to be closer to his grandchildren. Can't blame him for that. Enjoy retirement Eck. You will be missed by all Red Sox fans.
    Eck was a great closer , a great announcer , a great guy . A true Hall of Famer. He will be missed. The difference between him and the other analysts is like night and day.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Eck was a great closer , a great announcer , a great guy . A true Hall of Famer. He will be missed. The difference between him and the other analysts is like night and day.
    Plus he has added a slew of colorful terms to the baseball lexicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Plus he has added a slew of colorful terms to the baseball lexicon.
    He knew baseball too. He informed and he entertained. A rare combination.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    He knew baseball too. He informed and he entertained. A rare combination.
    Eck was great, and he made OB tolerable. Now all you have left is OB, and the Yuckers.

Deity
    And there there are the slugs for analysts left that Eck will leave in his wake. Youk might be the best of the analysts left even with his relative lack of experience. I would not give you a plug nickel for the rest of them.

Deity
    Even when Eck used to be in the studio with TC he was the best one there too.

This has already been a tough month for baseball fans. First it was Vin Scully and now this. We as fans are losing possibly two of the best announcers in baseball. Although "losing" means different things in this case for fans it means nearing the end of an era of outstanding broadcasters.

I can't help but feel good for the guy though. Speaking as a grandfather (obviously with grandchildren) one can't spend too much time with those kids and being on opposite coasts has to be taxing. Godspeed, and stay healthy, Eck. And cherish every moment with your grandchildren. Above everything else, remember, "Don't blink".
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by JDavis76 View Post
    I am sure that Yankee fans like yourself don't like him just like Sox fans can't stand Michael Kay, David Cone and Paulie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    I am sure that Yankee fans like yourself don't like him just like Sox fans can't stand Michael Kay, David Cone and Paulie.
    Nah, it's not about being a homer, I hate Michael Kay as well.

Nah, it's not about being a homer, I hate Michael Kay as well.
    Then you can't appreciate a good analyst because Eck is the best. He is insightful, funny and knowledgeable, in addition to being a Hall Of Fame player. Thats why all the major networks tried to get him.

Yeah well so are you but we don't say anything about that

Triple A
    I really enjoyed hearing Jerry's Boston accent juxtaposed with Eck's California accent and the authority the two had sharing their experience talking about being on the team and the struggles they had. Eck as a Hall of Famer commands respect with his knowledge of the game. The players in the 70's had it tougher than the players of today. I like listening to the older players. The accents also makes the games more interesting to listen to, making it more compelling. Have fun at home, Eck.

Could we retire Youk instead?
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.