Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9/03 Rangers @ SOX 4:10PM ET

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Agree completely. I will never understand why he started a rookie and then brought in that worthless piece of crap Whitlock to pitch both the 7th and 8th. Huge mistakes.
    Nothing wrong with starting Bello, but the set up man Whitlock has sucked his last two times out. Barnes has also tried to give two games away trying to close lately.

Deity
    Disagree on the roulette. Agree Barnes utterly failed to close and Schreiber had to save him, but I also agree with sending him out there. This was undoubtedly Schreiber's best save this year because he usually doesn't do well coming in with men on based--and tonight they were loaded and he just threw great stuff with excellent command for a K and a ground out.

Barnes got screwed by Story when he fumbled a perfect double play ball; then he got screwed by a full swing dribbler to 3b.

Whitlocks' 3 runs were off two dingers, one with a man on. But he pitched an excellent 7th.

Verdugo was hitless, but I think that grab in right center was an absolute gem and all he had to do for the Sox tonight. He never looked this good in LF, plus he has a decent arm.

Sox were 1/14 with RISP, but I still like the 5 runs.

I think SPLENDIDSPLINTER said in the OP that this lineup is pretty good and the Sox should win. Good call.

The disappearance by our big three--Bogey, Raffy, and JDM--seems to be over. Plus Dugo, Story, Arroyo, Pham, and possibly Kike.

Last night's bullpen was spectacularly good over 6 innings. Tonight's struggled to get thru 3 with a 5-0 lead. That's our bullpen and that's baseball.

A fun game to watch.
    Wow Whitlock pitched 1 excellent inning, but gave up 2 HR in his other inning. That’s a bad outing to me.

As Bello gets more experience, he is proving to me that he has the stuff to get major league hitters out.

Once he learns to eliminate crooked run innings, he is going to be really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    As Bello gets more experience, he is proving to me that he has the stuff to get major league hitters out.

Once he learns to eliminate crooked run innings, he is going to be really good!
    I'm glad the brought him up, this year, even if it was a bit rushed.
    Sox 4 Ever

All-Star
    The best development of this game was the continued improvement from Bello .
    With his remaining starts he can play his way into next seasons starting rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    It may have been mentioned a few times but someone in the know should do a deep dive on the Red Sox MiLB system, who is working in it and what those individuals have produced , either in Boston or elsewhere before. It isw only an eye test, but more than a few guys showed up over the past decade ( multiple Baseball OPs heads) who were not prepare d for the Show, or lacked the talent to succeed. or was it training and work ethic?
    It takes a while to build up the farm, then a few more years for them to mature into MLB players who prove the system worked.

The farm looks better, now, but only time will tell.
    Sox 4 Ever

Agree completely. I will never understand why he started a rookie and then brought in that worthless piece of crap Whitlock to pitch both the 7th and 8th. Huge mistakes.
    Yeah just ignore my previous comments about why what he did was dumb. Please give me the logical reasons of why Schrieber didn’t start the 9th and why Barnes started it with Schrieber in the pen. There is no logical reason for giving the worse relief pitcher the save opportunity, especially when you are clearly worried he’s gonna blow the save due to the fact Schrieber was warming as inning started.

Literally didn’t say anything about him using Bello or Whitlock, but go off with your fake defensive mechanisms for Cora.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Yeah just ignore my previous comments about why what he did was dumb. Please give me the logical reasons of why Schrieber didn’t start the 9th and why Barnes started it with Schrieber in the pen. There is no logical reason for giving the worse relief pitcher the save opportunity, especially when you are clearly worried he’s gonna blow the save due to the fact Schrieber was warming as inning started.

Literally didn’t say anything about him using Bello or Whitlock, but go off with your fake defensive mechanisms for Cora.
    Max is a little backwards sometimes. He sees things that aren’t there, and doesn’t see things that are there. It’s a gift, and a curse.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Nothing wrong with starting Bello, but the set up man Whitlock has sucked his last two times out. Barnes has also tried to give two games away trying to close lately.
    Whitlock’s last outing before tonight was a 1-2-3 ninth inning (1K) vs Tampa…p
    Last edited by notin; 09-03-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post

I think Cora is trying to get Barnes back on track, which he’s actually been doing most of the season. It’s absolutely not without risk.

I’m not in favor of this strategy, but I’m pretty sure that’s all it is…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Whitlock’s last outing before tonight was a 1-2-3 ninth inning (1K) vs Tampa…p
    Wrong again! He got knocked around in two innings against Minnesota. Analytics, and eye test confirmed. 4 hits, and 3 runs in 2 innings. Shouldn’t have been so quick to say I gotcha.
    Last edited by Old Red; 09-03-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Deity
    Now the Kut Man scratched from his start today.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think Cora is trying to get Barnes back on track, which he’s actually been doing most of the season. It’s absolutely not without risk.

I’m not in favor of this strategy, but I’m pretty sure that’s all it is…
    Yep, it's as simple as that.

The way I see it, Cora makes moves that can definitely be called "questionable", but he always has a reason for them. He's not a snoozer.

And he is fully aware that Schreiber has been pitching much better than Barnes...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Now the Kut Man scratched from his start today.
    Brutal. Bullpen game coming up, I guess.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yep, it's as simple as that.

The way I see it, Cora makes moves that can definitely be called "questionable", but he always has a reason for them. He's not a snoozer.

And he is fully aware that Schreiber has been pitching much better than Barnes...
    Without Houck, we have to find at least a third high leverage guy. We might already be burning Whitlock out, and Schreiber going multiple innings here and there may also be pushing him to the limit.

Barnes looks like the best bet out of all the others. Sad, but true.
    We could try calling German up, but I trust there is a reason we have not, already.
    Sox 4 Ever