Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 9/05 SOX @ Rays 4:10PM ET

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    C'mon, MAX, you must have some personal connection with Cora. I don't believe you are Cora, but who knows? The only other explanation I can come up with is that you like belonging in a cult.
    As I've said repeatedly, no Cora critic has yet successfully responded to the following:

In 2018 he managed an excellent Sox team--but not much better in personnel than the 2016 and 2017 teams--to 108 wins and 11-3 in the postseason. That was the best Sox season ever, and the players deserve tons of credit. But there were times when Cora's managing helped.

In 2019 the pitching collapsed (ERA of 4.70 was 19th in MLB), but they still won 84 games (and lost 78).

In 2020 Cora was justifiably banished from MLB, and the Sox were terrible, 24-36.

In 2021 Cora returned without Mookie, Price, Sale, Kimbrel, Beni, and Moreland and the Sox won 92 games and got to the ALCS in the postseason despite having to face the Yankees ace Cole in the wild card, followed 2 days later by the 100 win Rays (best record in the AL in 2021) in the ALDS, which they won 3 games to 1. In that postseason the Sox played 11 games without a closer and in fact never got a save. But the only blown save was in the 6th inning of game 2 vs. the Astros when Sale started, went just 2.2 innings, and Houck got the blown save in the 6th inning. That, sir, took some managing. And that was last freaking year!!

This year, 2022, the Sox have the 2d worst ERA in the AL but are now 67-69, which is a ton better than Sox teams in the John Henry with lousy pitching. But going back to April the ongoing theme on Talksox--as it was years ago about Francona on a different blog site (BDM)--has been all the irretrievable, bonehead mistakes Cora has made. Plus the new theme that he mysteriously somehow "lost the clubhouse" sometime back in the spring.

If you can, take a shot at the above. Explain it all away.

To remind. I don't in anyway object to anyone saying, "well I would have done it this way." Or, "I think Cora should have done this." What I don't get is the insistence that he's stupid and doesn't know what he's doing. There is literally no meaningful evidence to support that.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    As I've said repeatedly, no Cora critic has yet successfully responded to the following:

In 2018 he managed an excellent Sox team--but not much better in personnel than the 2016 and 2017 teams--to 108 wins and 11-3 in the postseason. That was the best Sox season ever, and the players deserve tons of credit. But there were times when Cora's managing helped.

In 2019 the pitching collapsed (ERA of 4.70 was 19th in MLB), but they still won 84 games (and lost 78).

In 2020 Cora was justifiably banished from MLB, and the Sox were terrible, 24-36.

In 2021 Cora returned without Mookie, Price, Sale, Kimbrel, Beni, and Moreland and the Sox won 92 games and got to the ALCS in the postseason despite having to face the Yankees ace Cole in the wild card, followed 2 days later by the 100 win Rays (best record in the AL in 2021) in the ALDS, which they won 3 games to 1. In that postseason the Sox played 11 games without a closer and in fact never got a save. But the only blown save was in the 6th inning of game 2 vs. the Astros when Sale started, went just 2.2 innings, and Houck got the blown save in the 6th inning. That, sir, took some managing. And that was last freaking year!!

This year, 2022, the Sox have the 2d worst ERA in the AL but are now 67-69, which is a ton better than Sox teams in the John Henry with lousy pitching. But going back to April the ongoing theme on Talksox--as it was years ago about Francona on a different blog site (BDM)--has been all the irretrievable, bonehead mistakes Cora has made. Plus the new theme that he mysteriously somehow "lost the clubhouse" sometime back in the spring.

If you can, take a shot at the above. Explain it all away.

To remind. I don't in anyway object to anyone saying, "well I would have done it this way." Or, "I think Cora should have done this." What I don't get is the insistence that he's stupid and doesn't know what he's doing. There is literally no meaningful evidence to support that.

I’ve called out some stupid Cora strategies (Houck piggybacking, early Rich Hill usage), but he’s still a good manager…

Max, our culture is all about blame, and since the old adage is the buck stops at the top, many feel it has to be Bloom & Cora's fault. It's oversimplification and more of the blame everyone but the actual people responsible for losing- like the players.

The GM chose the wrong players.
    The manager played the wrong players.
    The manager managed the players wrongly.

Sure, they get pissed at players, here and there (see the game threads), but for the most part it's more Cora and Bloom's fault than the fact that Bogey and JD can't get key hits, that 80% of the rotation got hurt, often at the same time, the 800+ OPS 1bman was a fluke, one of the second half & playoff heroes (Kike) slumped, then got hurt, then when a bunch get healthy, Houck and others get hurt. That all has to be on Cora and Bloom.

Someone has to be blamed. It can't just be poor or unfortunate circumstances. Someone has to pay for the frustration we all feel. You "can't fire the team," so...
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Is he hurt?
    I was going to say the same. I thought PH'ing Arroyo was best, but Cora made the right choice.

Many probably felt brining in Kelly was a big mistake. Oh, wait...

Arroyo fouled a pitch off his foot yesterday; it looked pretty nasty. He finished the AB but he was very gimpy doing so. He certainly got a nasty bone bruise if not something worse. I doubt he was really available today.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

There's a Ty Cobb moment, except Ty wouldn't be concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    A Pedroia-Machado moment
    Not even close; spikes were not up nor was there any movement of them except straight ahead. Any fielder who wants to block the base that way risks what happened there.

He must have thought Dugo was going to slide head first.
    Don’t they all these days?

The way fielders block bases these days , I’d like to see more guys go in feet first. It would cut a lot of the blocking out.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Arroyo fouled a pitch off his foot yesterday; it looked pretty nasty. He finished the AB but he was very gimpy doing so. He certainly got a nasty bone bruise if not something worse. I doubt he was really available today.
    It’s Francona’s fault

Somehow

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    It’s Francona’s fault

Somehow
    But it was never, ever DD's fault.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Max, our culture is all about blame, and since the old adage is the buck stops at the top, many feel it has to be Bloom & Cora's fault. It's oversimplification and more of the blame everyone but the actual people responsible for losing- like the players.

The GM chose the wrong players.
    The manager played the wrong players.
    The manager managed the players wrongly.

Sure, they get pissed at players, here and there (see the game threads), but for the most part it's more Cora and Bloom's fault than the fact that Bogey and JD can't get key hits, that 80% of the rotation got hurt, often at the same time, the 800+ OPS 1bman was a fluke, one of the second half & playoff heroes (Kike) slumped, then got hurt, then when a bunch get healthy, Houck and others get hurt. That all has to be on Cora and Bloom.

Someone has to be blamed. It can't just be poor or unfortunate circumstances. Someone has to pay for the frustration we all feel. You "can't fire the team," so...
    Yes, that's what's going on and therefore it is normal to gripe. Indeed, I'm on another blog site for college basketball and during the games the criticism is frequent and scathing--and far worse than on talksox.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Not even close; spikes were not up nor was there any movement of them except straight ahead. Any fielder who wants to block the base that way risks what happened there.

Don’t they all these days?

The way fielders block bases these days , I’d like to see more guys go in feet first. It would cut a lot of the blocking out.
    Feet first is a legitimate slide, always has been. But I don't like the Ty Cobb way which was usually spikes up with intent to maim. That's how Machado ended Pedey's career although Pedey insisted it was a clean play--and apparently the umps agreed.

On that slide last night, I agree Verdugo was just trying to get to 2d base as quickly as possible with a feet first slide.

I also agree infielders should not get away with blocking.