Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules rules rules

Rules rules rules

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ay-sources-say

Ok, the pitch clock is great. But if I remember right, the anti-shift argument was driven by some .230 hitter who felt he was being deprived of a .240 average. The shift is actually one of the few really innovative things MLB has done, and it's both interesting and effective. You want more hitting?--narrow the strike zone. But having an umpire check alignment every play, then having infielders run around to re=position themselves then having YET ANOTHER replay review to make sure no one was a millimeter or so across the line--this is idiotic. Let the damn defenders play where they want.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Almost certain to see these changes...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...on-friday.html

Too bad there is no robo ump vote.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post

Ok, the pitch clock is great. But if I remember right, the anti-shift argument was driven by some .230 hitter who felt he was being deprived of a .240 average. The shift is actually one of the few really innovative things MLB has done, and it's both interesting and effective. You want more hitting?--narrow the strike zone. But having an umpire check alignment every play, then having infielders run around to re=position themselves then having YET ANOTHER replay review to make sure no one was a millimeter or so across the line--this is idiotic. Let the damn defenders play where they want.
    I agree.

Strategies shouldn’t be implemented to prevent strategies….

The shift is not "innovative:" it's just used way more.

I agree, it's a stupid move by MLB.
    Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Changes to speed up pace of play will be welcomed by me. After watching a Sox pitcher stand like a statue for 26 seconds, presumably to keep the first base runner from timing his steal and the batter staying in the box that long, that kind of thing borders on the ridiculous. I am not a fan of the shift driven by front office technical nerds either. They shifted Ted Williams long ago, but now players consult their printouts kept in their hats for virtually every player. Doesn't feel like baseball.

Yes, I'm for technology assisted umpires behind the plate. There is too much variability game to game and in game. With the pitchers throwing ever harder,, the hitter needs to know that balls out of the zone won't be called strikes and the pitchers need to get a fair shake when they do make a great pitch. The technology is currently available to help the umpires make the correct call consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Changes to speed up pace of play will be welcomed by me. After watching a Sox pitcher stand like a statue for 26 seconds, presumably to keep the first base runner from timing his steal and the batter staying in the box that long, that kind of thing borders on the ridiculous. I am not a fan of the shift driven by front office technical nerds either. They shifted Ted Williams long ago, but now players consult their printouts kept in their hats for virtually every player. Doesn't feel like baseball.

Yes, I'm for technology assisted umpires behind the plate. There is too much variability game to game and in game. With the pitchers throwing ever harder,, the hitter needs to know that balls out of the zone won't be called strikes and the pitchers need to get a fair shake when they do make a great pitch. The technology is currently available to help the umpires make the correct call consistently.
    I'm all for the pitch clock and robo umps.

The shift has been part of baseball for decades. It does not slow the game down. It gets outs, so the game goes faster by more than it takes for players to move.
    Sox 4 Ever

Shift is garbage. I've said many times. The game was created to have 9 position on the field with an assign position. We may as well just call them ball players with no specific position. People say , well learn how to his the other way. It's not that easy with the pitching arms in the game today and the stuff they throw to go oppo. I for one approve to ban the Shift. The game is basically controlled by computers now. It's fucking awful. Players have cards. Oh leadoff batter is on. I got to stand 5 foot to the right and then 4 foot backwards. Like wtf. Players are following orders and nothing is on the human element now. The game is turning to shit really. We will see a lot more 300 hitters with the shift being banned which will be good for the game.

I do hope the pitch clock gets voted in. That alone will speed up the game a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    I do hope the pitch clock gets voted in. That alone will speed up the game a lot.
    They say the votes are largely ceremonial.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Shift is garbage. I've said many times. The game was created to have 9 position on the field with an assign position. We may as well just call them ball players with no specific position. People say , well learn how to his the other way. It's not that easy with the pitching arms in the game today and the stuff they throw to go oppo. I for one approve to ban the Shift. The game is basically controlled by computers now. It's fucking awful. Players have cards. Oh leadoff batter is on. I got to stand 5 foot to the right and then 4 foot backwards. Like wtf. Players are following orders and nothing is on the human element now. The game is turning to shit really. We will see a lot more 300 hitters with the shift being banned which will be good for the game.
    So you would like to go back to the original idea, which was that 1B 2B and 3B would be positioned right on the bag? Runners can be called out by hitting them with the ball--like Dodgeball. Also, there should be no balls and strikes--another 'innovation' of the late 19th c., and if allowed, walks should count as hits? All these modern innovations have ruined the game.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post

I thought the shift call was not going to be up for replay review?
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

A stricter version of the outside part of the plate would definitely increase runs. Right now, pitchers get too much leeway out there.

I would keep the shift, add robo k zone, pitch clock and not let batters step out of the box except for injury or equipment issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I would keep the shift, add robo k zone, pitch clock and not let batters step out of the box except for injury or equipment issue.
    Agree completely, as would most rational people (which does not include .220 hitting lefties or MLB administrators).

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    i would keep the shift, add robo k zone, pitch clock and not let batters step out of the box except for injury or equipment issue.
    bingo!
    Sox 4 Ever