Register now to remove this ad

Page 97 of 222 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3322

Thread: 2023 Free Agents

Holy crap

That is a huge name coming off the board.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    That is a huge name coming off the board.
    Great pitcher who has trouble staying healthy.
    Old school is good school.

$37M x 5!

There is no way I see the Sox coming close to an offer like that.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Rule 5 draft coming up: 3 pitchers that might interest Hang’em Chaim are: Murray, grammes and Sikkima.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    $37M x 5!

That is one crazy, splashy signing. Good for the game, in a way.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    $37M x 5!

He did ask the Sox to match it, but Bloom told him to take it to Tampa.

The fact that the Sox were in on Eflin makes me think they are also in on the rest of the middling starters. Which there are a lot of.

I suppose they could make another bullpen addition (Jensen) if they wanted Houck to start next year.

But I wonder if they switch the focus to SS/SP/OF now

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    The fact that the Sox were in on Eflin makes me think they are also in on the rest of the middling starters. Which there are a lot of.

I suppose they could make another bullpen addition (Jensen) if they wanted Houck to start next year.

But I wonder if they switch the focus to SS/SP/OF now
    I do wonder how much SP they sign. With Paxton, Sale, Pivetta, Whitlock, and Bello, I certainly see the need to add more starters in case someone gets hurt, but then what happens if everyone is healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I do wonder how much SP they sign. With Paxton, Sale, Pivetta, Whitlock, and Bello, I certainly see the need to add more starters in case someone gets hurt, but then what happens if everyone is healthy?
    A good problem to have. Let’s say they sign Senga/Kluber and everyone is healthy. You can push a guy to the pen and roll out with a 6 man for a month.

That might help down the stretch as you put innings on the arms of Sale, Paxton, and Bello.

Sale
    Senga
    Bello
    Whitlock
    Pivetta
    Kluber

Paxton as a long man? Again, how often is everyone healthy? Maybe Bello looks like he can use a few more innings in AAA to start the season.

No rotation is perfect, even with some good luck on the health front, a small injury could push someone out for a 2-4 weeks.

I think it’s obvious the Sox get 1 starter, probably 50-75% chance they get two.

Sale
    Senga
    Bello
    Whitlock
    Pivetta
    Kluber

Paxton as a long man? Again, how often is everyone healthy? Maybe Bello looks like he can use a few more innings in AAA to start the season.

No rotation is perfect, even with some good luck on the health front, a small injury could push someone out for a 2-4 weeks.

I think it’s obvious the Sox get 1 starter, probably 50-75% chance they get two.
    ... but maybe not free agents, whose costs are sure to rise, including Eovaldi's. What may be more likely is a plan that promotes a guy like Mata to the rotation by summer.

Also, any blockbuster trade may focus more on a cost-controlled catcher and/or outfielder.

All depends on if they have to go to Plan B because Bogaerts leaves... unless, of course, Bogey bolting means they get their intended Plan A, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    ... but maybe not free agents, whose costs are sure to rise, including Eovaldi's. What may be more likely is a plan that promotes a guy like Mata to the rotation by summer.

Also, any blockbuster trade may focus more on a cost-controlled catcher and/or outfielder.

All depends on if they have to go to Plan B because Bogaerts leaves... unless, of course, Bogey bolting means they get their intended Plan A, after all.
    You can’t plan a season to have Mata a starter by June, I like Mata but he he may never be a starter in Boston. A lot of scouts see him moving to the pen, and FWIW they think he can very good there, a future star closer. I see a possible mid season Mata call up to strengthen the bullpen.

I don’t ever want to see the Sox have to rely on their 7th 8th and 9th options to start ever again.

Bogaerts could influence their plans for starting pitching. But that may come down to whether they sign one or two guys. Also, if Bogaerts walking is their plan A, I’d have to believe they want to make a serious run at Turner/Correa.

If that’s the case, they’re probably only signing one starter from the (Senga/Taillon/walker/Eovaldi/Bassit) class, maybe still two if they could get a guy like Kluber/Heaney on the cheap.

FWIW, I don’t see Eovaldi getting a pay raise. Depending on the years, I think he gets something around $14 - $18 per year.

They can complete their roster with a trade for an outfielder, I think you’re right there. Also, there have been rumors the Sox are exploding the trade market for outfielders.

It makes sense, after Judge, the next tier of talent is slim, will be bid high on, and all carry some level of injury/durability risk.

Trading for an outfielder makes sense.

Deity
    They can complete their roster with a trade for an outfielder, I think you’re right there. Also, there have been rumors the Sox are exploding the trade market for outfielders.

It makes sense, after Judge, the next tier of talent is slim, will be bid high on, and all carry some level of injury/durability risk.

Trading for an outfielder makes sense.
    Arizona is loaded with outfielders. The problem is - what do we have that they want?