Register now to remove this ad

Page 66 of 75 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Free Agents

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The mystery is how Baseball Trade Values assigns a value of $5.9 million for Jarren Duran with a projected 2023 wRC+ of 93 while assigning a value of $3 million to Taylor Trammell, a plus defender who is a year younger than Duran and who is projected with a 2023 wRC+ of 101. However, Duran has six years of team control and Trammell only five.

Duran would fall behind Trammell, Jesse Winker, Jarred Kelenic and Cade Marlowe on Seattle's current depth chart of lefthand-hitting outfielders.
    Or… he wouldn’t.

Let’s say Seattle ranked those outfielders from worst to best. Then Duran would be ON TOP of their depth chart. That’s right. Numero Uno. It’s all about perspective.

But if Seattle did that, suddenly that trade looks just a little better, doesn’t it?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The good news is, Chaim hasn't spent much of that pot of available money yet.

As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part.
    Neither has anyone else. The biggest free agent names off the board so far are Tyler Anderson, Martin Perez and Joc Pederson…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Neither has anyone else. The biggest free agent names off the board so far are Tyler Anderson, Martin Perez and Joc Pederson…
    I know. Is it going to be another of those offseasons where people start muttering about collusion?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I know. Is it going to be another of those offseasons where people start muttering about collusion?
    Or… it’s only Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving, btw) and the off-season is rarely in any sort of motion yet anyway. Last year was a bizarre outlier because teams were rushing to make moves before the lockout. I do actually wonder if Rangers GM Chris Young started his lockout by reflecting on his flurry of moves and saying “Wait… I paid Corey Seager how much?

The good news is, Chaim hasn't spent much of that pot of available money yet.

As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part.
    Tom also said, never slow down, never grow old.

Man, have I aged the past three winters...

Deity
    I think slow off-seasons are the norm these days.

I don’t expect very many major moves until after the New Year…

Or… it’s only Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving, btw) and the off-season is rarely in any sort of motion yet anyway.
    I'm just trying to find something more interesting to complain about...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I'm just trying to find something more interesting to complain about...

Well, the Sox are very likely to sign a slew of players to MiLB contracts starting soon. You could act like each one was the sole focus of the front office and maybe even throw around the phrase “lightning in a bottle” a few times every time the Sox grab a 26yo minor league pitcher.

The key to selling it is to de-emphasize the “minor league” aspect of the contract. In fact, never mention it at all and act like it’s a multiyear MLB deal…

MVP
    Well, the Sox are very likely to sign a slew of players to MiLB contracts starting soon. You could act like each one was the sole focus of the front office and maybe even throw around the phrase “lightning in a bottle” a few times every time the Sox grab a 26yo minor league pitcher.

The key to selling it is to de-emphasize the “minor league” aspect of the contract. In fact, never mention it at all and act like it’s a multiyear MLB deal…
    Here’s another thing I keep thinking about. Who has signed? Not one major free agent signing so far, and not really even any mid level moves. All the top free agents are still on the board. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

If Bloom signed guys like Verlander and Bogaerts and Judge and went nuts and THEN made these moves would people be angry? It feels like they’re upset about the timing. Which given where we are at in the off-season is the dumbest effing thing ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Here’s another thing I keep thinking about. Who has signed? Not one major free agent signing so far, and not really even any mid level moves. All the top free agents are still on the board. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

If Bloom signed guys like Verlander and Bogaerts and Judge and went nuts and THEN made these moves would people be angry? It feels like they’re upset about the timing. Which given where we are at in the off-season is the dumbest effing thing ever
    Perez and Pederson accepted QOs. Tyler Anderson signed with the Angels.

That’s the list…

If they DFA Ort, it’s worth it…
    I could reduce my blood pressure medication if they DFA him.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    It seems like just the other day a few moves were made around this time of year that pushed the Sox over the top. To date - nothing 0. You would think that some kind of real move will have to be made that actually will help the team. I liked us more when we had a lot of good players.
    Not many real good players have signed with anyone. The clock is ticking, but there is a lot of time left to make the bold moves we are expecting or hoping for.
    Sox 4 Ever

It's a long winter.

I feel pretty certain, Bloom will make some bold signings and or trades.

There will be a lot to talk about, at some point.
    Sox 4 Ever

MVP
    Perez and Pederson accepted QOs. Tyler Anderson signed with the Angels.

That’s the list…
    Non of those guys were top 25, Anderson was the best and he’s the only one. The other two are resigning technically. You can throw Rizzo in there too. But that’s it. Nothing, nada, nunca. People are complaining over nothing, or at the very least prematurely about this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Non of those guys were top 25, Anderson was the best and he’s the only one. The other two are resigning technically. You can throw Rizzo in there too. But that’s it. Nothing, nada, nunca. People are complaining over nothing, or at the very least prematurely about this off-season.
    This happens early winter every year. There are 30 teams looking to sign or trade for players. Someone always complains after just about every significant signing. Now, in keeping with out times, people are complaining about minor deals.

We could sign Judge, Turner and deGrom for $10M each, and someone would still complain about Nimmo signing with the Mets.
    Sox 4 Ever