Register now to remove this ad

Page 74 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 3322

Thread: 2023 Free Agents

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    If a real poll went out today in all of RSN asking who they would rather have as GM of the Boston Red Sox Bloom, or DD I bet DD would win in a landslide.
    Do you really think, if DD was handed the budget and demands of trading Betts & price, we'd have a better team and results, right now?

I'll answer, I'm not sure, but I do think Bloom is more of the type of GM needed to rebuild and find gems in the rough than DD, but that's just my opinion. I have no way of knowing.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    If a real poll went out today in all of RSN asking who they would rather have as GM of the Boston Red Sox Bloom, or DD I bet DD would win in a landslide.
    Probably. Not sure why popular opinion means anything here, though.

And would they still like him when the team was filled with bad, bloated, immovable contracts on aging and injured players?

His MO in Boston was “spend heavy and deal away the farm.” That’s not always a good MO, and it’s pacing itself out of the game. 7 years ago, the contract he gave Price at age 31 was ridiculous. Nowadays, it would be an obstacle. But not as bad as the 10-12 year deals players want.

If DD can adapt and not dole out those mega deals (save for special talents), he’ll do much better for Philadelphia.

Of course, if DD was the genius his fan base keeps reminding me he is, why didn’t he extend Betts?

Deity
    Tell me why, tell me why, tell me why. Sale’s bad DD contract prevented the Red Sox from being a winning in the postseason team last year? Why are we focusing just on Sale’s contract? Is that all you got?
    So.. not answering, I see.

Just another guy with all the answers. Until he gets asked for them…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Probably. Not sure why popular opinion means anything here, though.

And would they still like him when the team was filled with bad, bloated, immovable contracts on aging and injured players?

His MO in Boston was “spend heavy and deal away the farm.” That’s not always a good MO, and it’s pacing itself out of the game. 7 years ago, the contract he gave Price at age 31 was ridiculous. Nowadays, it would be an obstacle. But not as bad as the 10-12 year deals players want.

If DD can adapt and not dole out those mega deals (save for special talents), he’ll do much better for Philadelphia.

Of course, if DD was the genius his fan base keeps reminding me he is, why didn’t he extend Betts?
    Those bloated contracts with almost zero return like Sandoval’s and HanRam’s.

edit: And I forgot Mr 0 return Rusney Castillo!
    Last edited by a700hitter; 11-26-2022 at 12:50 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Another way to look at it that’s far more accurate.

He took over a team that won 78 games and turned it into a 93 game winner. And did so by handing out the biggest contracts in team history.

The team won 15 more games. It’s a good improvement but not the historic one you keep trying to sell it as. Of course Rick Porcello alone won 13 more on his way to the Cy Young…
    He took over a last place team and won the division. Then repeated. Then three peated. Then won the brass ring. To me, that was pretty good. You prefer to look at the traded " prospects " and the money . I guess it takes all kinds of fans to make Red Sox Nation.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    So.. not answering, I see.

Just another guy with all the answers. Until he gets asked for them…
    If Bloom is as good as you thinks he is he should be able to fix all the problems you keep bring up, and that the Red Sox are in such bad shape. On the other if he’s not good like I think he is it will be Gloom, and Doom will be brought by Bloom.

Deity
    Those bloated contracts with almost zero return like Sandoval’s and HanRam’s.
    DD did get those and Rusney as well.

But Henry didn’t let it impact what DD got to spend. Maybe he trusted him more? Maybe it was the pathetic 2014-15 run.

But when Cherington took over, the budget was so tight we had to deal Marco Scutaro just to sign Cody Ross, hardly a household name himself. DD never had that level of budget scrutiny.

I think DD is the only Sox GM in the Luxury Tax Era that Henry never made reset the limit…

4 step plan to get back to the playoffs:
    1.)sign Correa (replace bogey and has a great relationship with Cora);
    2.) sign stndergard and kubler (starting pitching depth)
    3.) trade for a power right fielder that can play good defense
    4.) secure a closer for the bullpen

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    And, although many of the highly ranked prospects he traded away did not amount to much, he had the ability to trade many of them, keeping Devers, and acquire guys like Sale, Kimbrell, PomPom, Nate, Pearce and Nunez, among others. I counted 20 prospects that were at one time or another a top 20 prospect on soxprospects,com he traded away. Granted, some were no longer top 20, but he also traded away Shaw and a few others.

(I'm not complaining, but just pointing out the stack he was handed that enabled him to acquire a guy like Sale and to a lesser extend Kimbrell. Bloom did not have that choice, even if they let him trade top prospects away.
    Bloom didn’t have that choice because they had a 45 million dollar payroll. In a year he happened to beat DD and his Red Sox. John Henry dreamed what a guy who could do that could do with a 200 million dollar payroll.

Here we are 3 years later, the farm built back up and $100 million coming off the books. If people think John Henry didn’t bring Bloom in to see what he can do from here on out the haven’t been paying attention.

You can disagree with it, you can hate it, but this has been what it’s all about.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    He took over a last place team and won the division. Then repeated. Then three peated. Then won the brass ring. To me, that was pretty good. You prefer to look at the traded " prospects " and the money . I guess it takes all kinds of fans to make Red Sox Nation.
    I’m sure poor, poor pitiful me Chaim Bloom knew all about having to trade Mookie, and the bad contracts, budget restrictions, and a not to generous allowance he would be getting from daddy JH when he took the job, so nothing should have been a surprise to him including the scrutiny from the media, and fans alike.

No, about the grass being greener, but yes to back to back World Series. If Click is just like Bloom, he does it much better.
    He was handed a vastly different circumstances. Does that not matter, at all?

I’m sure poor, poor pitiful me Chaim Bloom knew all about having to trade Mookie, and the bad contracts, budget restrictions, and a not to generous allowance he would be getting from daddy JH when he took the job, so nothing should have been a surprise to him including the scrutiny from the media, and fans alike.
    He's not poor or pitiful, and yes, he knew what he was hired to do, and at least on paper, he has fulfilled his number one priority: build up the farm and 40 man roster foundation to the point where we needed fewer slots to fill while setting up the budget to now have the funds to do it.

I'm sure he's not happy about 2 last place finishes and felt the 2022 team was strong enough to make the playoffs and not finish last, but the team failed, this year. Blame injuries. Blame non moves. Blame the budget. Blame Bloom, but when I look at the totality of moves he made since the end of 2021, it looks like a net plus, but the wins did not indicate those improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Bloom didn’t have that choice because they had a 45 million dollar payroll. In a year he happened to beat DD and his Red Sox. John Henry dreamed what a guy who could do that could do with a 200 million dollar payroll.

Here we are 3 years later, the farm built back up and $100 million coming off the books. If people think John Henry didn’t bring Bloom in to see what he can do from here on out the haven’t been paying attention.

You can disagree with it, you can hate it, but this has been what it’s all about.
    Indeed, and to think DD would have done better within the same constraints is pure speculation and wishful thinking. Maybe he'd do better than Richards, Perez, Ottavino, Marwin, Andriese and Paxton, but there would have been no large and long deals and maybe no Whitlock, Schreiber, Refsnyder, Kike '21, Kelly, German, Wacha, Strahm, Hill, McGuire and this heep of new prospects added via trades.

This is Bloom's legacy moment. The whole 3 years was designed to make 2023 the beginning or the next "window."

On paper, things look optimistic, but we need to start seeing results.

Deity
    If Bloom is as good as you thinks he is he should be able to fix all the problems you keep bring up, and that the Red Sox are in such bad shape. On the other if he’s not good like I think he is it will be Gloom, and Doom will be brought by Bloom.
    I think he will be fine. But it didn’t happen overnight.

This is the big off-season for him…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He was handed a vastly different circumstances. Does that not matter, at all?
    Click has been a lot less active than Bloom. Most likely because he didn’t need to be…