Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9/16 Royals @ Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    The experience Casas is getting is more important than the immediate results.
    Plus, what 34 PA sample size carries any real and sustainable meaning?

One could have looked at a much larger sample size of Devers in August and firmly proclaimed he does not look ML ready.

It's hard to make any sort of determination over such a tiny sample size, but we do know he's getting his ears wet and learning. He's shown some power, so far. He's shown he can take a walk, so far. I like what I've seen, and a .100 BA in such a short time does not concern me, at all.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Plus, what 34 PA sample size carries any real and sustainable meaning?

One could have looked at a much larger sample size of Devers in August and firmly proclaimed he does not look ML ready.

It's hard to make any sort of determination over such a tiny sample size, but we do know he's getting his ears wet and learning. He's shown some power, so far. He's shown he can take a walk, so far. I like what I've seen, and a .100 BA in such a short time does not concern me, at all.
    I’m not worried at all. He has pretty good discipline, looks comfortable at the plate and has been fine in the field. No reason to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Who is injured on the Yankees?
    They've had their share.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    I didn't say he wouldn't be out there at 1B next year. I said he wasn't ready yet. He has all the flaws of the Red Sox hitters who have come through the system recently. Can hit HR's but no plate discipline or pitch recognition. Neither do some long term regulars so it must be a pandemic of free swinging.
    Agree there does seem to be a pandemic of not recognizing pitches and/or showing little plate discipline--exemplified last night in Bogaerts 8th inning at bat when everything was in his favor. The bases were loaded, just one out, and a pitcher who couldn't throw strikes or who quickly realized he didn't need to throw strikes.

Someone pointed out that Aaron Judge is simply good at taking advantage of pitching mistakes. I think that's apt and too often does not describe what Sox hitters are about when they come to the plate.

As for Casas, you could be right that he is reflecting a weak Sox farm system, but MLB pitching is in fact better than AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Iím not worried at all. He has pretty good discipline, looks comfortable at the plate and has been fine in the field. No reason to panic.
    I think we will eventually notice he is not yet a plus defender, but he is no Dlabec or Franchy with the glove.
    Sox 4 Ever

I think Casas is ready to be given a full chance at first base opening day. We have Hosmer as insurance and Dalbec/Cordero on the farm and Kavadas down the road. For those who keep pining away for us to acquire a 1Bman or 1B/DH type player, I think you will be disappointed for perhaps the 3rd year in a row.

I thought we should have called him up earlier, but I trust the Sox on their choice of timing, and his rehab from his injury may have been trickier than I thought.

As it stands, we will end up in another trial and error situation or two (or three) in 2024, as well. This could (should?) have been the year to do that.

Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Any win is a far better outcome than a loss, but if there are quality starts, maybe there are quality wins too. This wasn't one. The 2 runs that won the game were bases loaded walks. At least that showed some pitch recognition skills.

But the win does help with the impossible dream of a .500 season
    The second run was from a solid single by JDM. Nevertheless, you are right that the rally was based on walks, which, I hasten to add, Bogaerts absolutely refused to take advantage of. He swung at five straight balls well below (and some also outside) the strike zone.

One could argue that the pitching produced a quality win.

Funny thing, but it was just a week ago today when the Sox beat the Orioles 17-4. A false positive if there ever was one.

Outhit 8 to 3, and we get the win. That type of win has been very rare, this year.
    Sox 4 Ever

I didn't say he wouldn't be out there at 1B next year. I said he wasn't ready yet. He has all the flaws of the Red Sox hitters who have come through the system recently. Can hit HR's but no plate discipline or pitch recognition. Neither do some long term regulars so it must be a pandemic of free swinging.
    No plate discipline like in the 5th inning, when he started off taking 3 balls, then a strike, fouled off a pitch and then took ball 4 (Sox eventually loaded the bases that inning but failed to score)? Or like in the 7th, when he started out 0-2, took 2 balls, fouled off a pitch and then took 2 more balls, working another walk?

Yeah, he's swung at some bad pitches. He's also walked 6 times, which would be a pace to walk over 100 times over the course of the season. His OBP is .265, which isn't too bad considering he's only got 3 hits. I'd say he's shown plenty of plate discipline; there are several guys who could take a lesson in that from him.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    No plate discipline like in the 5th inning, when he started off taking 3 balls, then a strike, fouled off a pitch and then took ball 4 (Sox eventually loaded the bases that inning but failed to score)? Or like in the 7th, when he started out 0-2, took 2 balls, fouled off a pitch and then took 2 more balls, working another walk?

Yeah, he's swung at some bad pitches. He's also walked 6 times, which would be a pace to walk over 100 times over the course of the season. His OBP is .265, which isn't too bad considering he's only got 3 hits. I'd say he's shown plenty of plate discipline; there are several guys who could take a lesson in that from him.
    Bogey could take a lesson from Casas on plate discipline.

Legend
    Chang at SS today. Can’t wait to see this suspect.