Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 9/22 Red Sox @ Yankees

Deity
    A good game overall. I had no problems with the Sox pitching, but did think the hitting by the big money boys--Devers, Bogaerts, and JDM--sucked. The Sox were 1 for 12 with RISP--and that 1 was because Cora had McGuire pinch hit in the 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Is Whitlock injured or being rested for the PO's?
    He's in surgery to correct to correct his hip condition and have him ready for ST in Feb '23

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I saw a lot of positives, tonight.

If you only look for bad, that's all you'll find.
    Moon, here is my only point of contention. The objective of the players, field manager, FO and ownership should be to win every game possible . It is not to balance the budget, finish .500 or better, develop players who are marginal or otherwise just do good in general . That is fine for high school sports and collegiate levels since most of those players will never go beyond that level. But if you hold yourself out to be a professional team the W-L's are the measure, no other stat matters except in contract negotiations.
    When I see marginal efforts or results or a losing team that has been handcuffed by its own lack of awareness or self imposed budgetary limits , becoming a consistent loser then it's time to call it out.

I know the knock on being a "Rays Fan" is that they have never won it all , just come close year after year. That is probably more frustrating to their 3 or 4 fans than the Red Sox roller coaster ride over the past 10 years+ . You said it yourself. Better to win a few times than not at all. Agreed , but how do they gain continuity so tha tthey are competitive every year, even if not the eventual winner of the WS... I actually believe Bloom and thereby ownership is trying to do that with the MiLB improvements and trying 49 assorted pickups. It hasn't gelled yet, but maybe it will. If it doesn't in 2023 then I do think you will see turnover in the field management and F.O. Meanwhile I just hate losing and losers who can't dominate the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Another 'iron man.'
    So you would rather he try and pitch through a hip injury, possibly ruining his arm for ????
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    So you would rather he try and pitch through a hip injury, possibly ruining his arm for ????
    Of course not. Just making a comment on the fragility of this current SOX team.

Another ghostly loss for the AL's losingest extra-inning team.

All these 10th-inning Ls are easy to pin on blah relievers -- and maybe they're too casual, as well as causal, since they don't get charged with giving up an earned run when the ghost scores.

But do the Red Sox have a club rule when they bat with a ghost on second that their first hitter is always required to strikeout? Forget about getting a hit -- that's too much to ask of a top-5 offense in late innings -- but it is uncanny how Boston never advances its free baserunner to third so he can't even score on a fly ball or grounder or wild pitch or error or balk.

Here's a new organizational philosophy for future sustained contenders: first batter up in the 10th -- touch the ball!

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Moon, here is my only point of contention. The objective of the players, field manager, FO and ownership should be to win every game possible . It is not to balance the budget, finish .500 or better, develop players who are marginal or otherwise just do good in general . That is fine for high school sports and collegiate levels since most of those players will never go beyond that level. But if you hold yourself out to be a professional team the W-L's are the measure, no other stat matters except in contract negotiations.
    When I see marginal efforts or results or a losing team that has been handcuffed by its own lack of awareness or self imposed budgetary limits , becoming a consistent loser then it's time to call it out.

I know the knock on being a "Rays Fan" is that they have never won it all , just come close year after year. That is probably more frustrating to their 3 or 4 fans than the Red Sox roller coaster ride over the past 10 years+ . You said it yourself. Better to win a few times than not at all. Agreed , but how do they gain continuity so tha tthey are competitive every year, even if not the eventual winner of the WS... I actually believe Bloom and thereby ownership is trying to do that with the MiLB improvements and trying 49 assorted pickups. It hasn't gelled yet, but maybe it will. If it doesn't in 2023 then I do think you will see turnover in the field management and F.O. Meanwhile I just hate losing and losers who can't dominate the situation.
    Nobody likes losing. People can choose how much to enjoy, if at all, or not enjoy a team that is not winning.

Of course, it's way more fun when we win, but I enjoyed last night's game, a lot. I thought we'd lose 6-0, but we fought back and took the lead. Our catcher of the future is looking very nice, and maybe our 1Bman of the future got a big hit, when it counted, unlike many of the stars on this team have been doing, all season long.

Going all in, like we did from 2016-2018 has its consequences, and yet the solution many seem to want, now, is to go all in, again.

When we don't, just read a game thread and find out.
    Sox 4 Ever

Yanks battled well, used the big ball from Stanton but small balled the other 3 runs in. Pitching was solid outside of Schmidt, who just didn't have it. Yanks rounding into form after their absolutely disastrous August.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Yanks battled well, used the big ball from Stanton but small balled the other 3 runs in. Pitching was solid outside of Schmidt, who just didn't have it. Yanks rounding into form after their absolutely disastrous August.
    Chapman wasn't very solid either.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I'm sure they'll round into their modern October form over the next few weeks that we've come to know and love since 2000.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

The Yankees look dangerous again except that their bullpen has suddenly become an issue. That's baseball.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm sure they'll round into their modern October form over the next few weeks that we've come to know and love since 2000.
    It's going to be tough for NY without the Twins in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It's going to be tough for NY without the Twins in the postseason.
    The Indians are a nice substitute for them though.

Wait Guardians, my bad.

The team I donít want to face is Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    The Indians are a nice substitute for them though.

Wait Guardians, my bad.
    Straight to the wall, comrade.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")