Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9/24 SOX @ Yankems

Hybrid View

9/24 SOX @ Yankems

Broke the rules but who cares.

Herman Munster made short work of the SOX in the 1st.

Pivettaboutit!

You don't gain or lose much with Dalbec replacing JD as DB.

I thought he was safe because of bad tag by Bogey. Thanks reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I thought he was safe because of bad tag by Bogey. Thanks reviewer.
    They wanted to make sure Judge doesn't come up until the 3rd inning so that viewers keep watching.

Casas owns the Yankems and McGuire continues to impress.

The Sox have always been near the luxury tax line and go through cycles of re-setting and going over the line, but never by too much. In that sense, nothing has changed, and maybe it never will, but IMO, the team seems to spend only when they think a ring season is near or upon us. 2013 was the exception, as I think that team surprised Henry. (They did trade Iggy & Montas for Jake Peavy at the deadline, and that added to the payroll.) I think sometimes JH gives the okay to spend more, when the team has done so badly that fans are restless- like after 2015, but even then, we had a solid core of young players on that 2016 team and had a chance to compete, that year, when spending grew.

I don't think Henry and Bloom felt like 2021 was "the year," either. I actually think the Story signing was a late decision based on falling ticket and NESN purchases and grumbling about not "going for it." This time, however, increased spending was not paired with trading several highly-ranked prospects, like it was from 2016-2018. I think that part of the our history has changed, and maybe for good.

That does not mean we will never trade top prospects, again, but I doubt we ever come near to what DD's plan entailed. That was not a plan for sustained winning.

Just my opinion.

Here is a list of the biggest gains in opening day player spending budgets by year:

47 2010 (ended up worse than 2008 and 2009)
    36 2018
    28 2004
    28 2015 (after finishing last in 2 of the previous 3 years- did improve, some)
    26 2022 (after 3 years of ups and downs- ended up worse than '21)
    23 2007
    19 2000 (the beginning of the building up to 2004)

Years the Sox paid a luxury tax:
    1999 (pre-Henry)

Some observations:
    1. Once the 3rd year in a row penalties were added, the Sox have never gone 3 years paying the tax.
    2. Going over 2 straight years has been common.
    3. Staying under for 1-3 years has been the range ( 1 year twice, 3 years once, since 2004. (4 years from 1999-2003- mostly pre JH))

I think we go over in 2023 or 2024 but not both. The nation is restless and grumbling, but the second criteria for spending big- having a rising young core is not quite there, yet.

Sox 4 Ever

McGuire continues to only hit HRs against the Yankees. Time for IKF to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    McGuire continues to only hit HRs against the Yankees. Time for IKF to do the same.
    Casa has 3 of his 4 HR's against the Yankems.

Jerk off man and Casas seem to like playing the Yankees

Interesting call on that attempted steal. Rizzo was safe until the check swing was deemed a strike, then Rizzo was called out.

Pivetta vs Yankees is a shit show

Pivettaboutit! Nick reminds me of the worst years of Porcello, except Porcello was a better hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Pivettaboutit! Nick reminds me of the worst years of Porcello, except Porcello was a better hitter.
    This is looking like a potential repeat of the last two games, back and forth lead changes until someone in the Sox bullpen coughs up the final run.