Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/25 Last vs First

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Bello looked good tonight. He's definitely the best starting pitcher to come thru the SOX farm in ages.
    When I post 'ages,' I'm going back to 2007. That was the debut season of a SOX starter who may hold the SOX record for having his last name misspelled the most.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    I agree. I think he starts next season in the rotation with Sale, and hopefully Wacha.
    I'd put that differently and say, "Wacha and Bello will definitely be in the rotation next year, and maybe Sale will too." Pivetta and Eovaldi might return as well, but hopefully only if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Meh. Almost every thread is about next year, firing Bloom, firing Cora, firing both, who to keep next year, who to go after, etc.

I'm probably the most ignorant deal-proposer on talksox, but I do have thoughts about the guys on the current team and think there is decent talent, even among the pitchers. And the guy on the mound tonight is one of them.
    Maybe we are overly optimistic about our team's future, but I think there is a solid foundation of young players and vets returning. Many are just role players, for now, or have yet to prove they can be significant pluses going forward. Some may not shine by 2023, but many seem on track to shining very soon.

When you look who has come up to the team since Devers & Beni, it's quite shocking to see than guys like Houck, Dalbec and Duran are some of the most notable. Whitlock could be counted as a prospect making good, but he was not from our system and never pitched in our minor league system.

We still have Devers, Story, Dugo, Kike, Arroyo and now McGuire, Casas, Refsnyder, Wong and Hosmer. True, some are questionable as being pluses in 2023, but many look better than what we had this year or even in 2021.

The staff still has a solid 4/5 starter in Pivetta and hopes for Sale and/or Paxton in 2023. Whitlock and Houck maybe comeback strong. Taylor, too. Schreiber has shown a lot of promise- Crawford to a lesser extent. Barnes has pitcher very well since mid August, and Bello looks more and more like he can be a big plus in 2023.

Most of all, the young players and near ML ready prospects offer a lot of hope. Some may take until 2024 or beyond to shine, but several look ready for 2023 beyond just Bello, Casas, Wong, German, Crawford and Kelly. We have Mata, E Valdez, Walter, Murphy, Wink, Seabold, Bazardo, Ort, RHern, Duran, Downs and maybe later in 2023, Rafaela, Abreu or Hamilton. I know many of these names have seen their stock fall, but we don't need even 1/3 of the second list to contribute in some small way in 2023- just maybe 1 to 3 of the 11 listed. It's not a stretch to think that might happen.

We have some big shoes to fill, but we have a big winter spending budget, too.

I'm choosing optimism, and I don't think it is an unrealistic choice.
    Sox 4 Ever

I'd put that differently and say, "Wacha and Bello will definitely be in the rotation next year, and maybe Sale will too." Pivetta and Eovaldi might return as well, but hopefully only if the price is right.
    Pivetta is an arb player. He's back,

Wacha needs to be given a QO and accept it or be re-signed. Unless he's asking for the world, I'd try real hard to bring Wacha back.
    Sox 4 Ever

Bello is gonna be a problem long term. His stuff is stupid good and hes learning to command it

Like I posted a few weeks ago I hope Sale doesn't decide to take up skiing in the off-season.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Pivetta is an arb player. He's back,

Wacha needs to be given a QO and accept it or be re-signed. Unless he's asking for the world, I'd try real hard to bring Wacha back.
    To sign Wacha I think it will take more than a year, and I’m not sure that will come from the Red Sox.

Turns out Arroyo isn't physically injured; he suffering from a non-Covid illness. He'll be no threat ever to Cal Ripken's Iron Man record.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 09-25-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    To sign Wacha I think it will take more than a year, and Im not sure that will come from the Red Sox.
    I'm thinking he takes a QO. If the plan is to reset for 2024, it would fit the Sox needs. If they plan on re-setting in 2023- not so much.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    To sign Wacha I think it will take more than a year, and I’m not sure that will come from the Red Sox.
    Yup; it's gonna take a multi-year contract from someone. Can't blame him; get the money while you're hot. Once you get it it's yours to keep.

Like I posted a few weeks ago I hope Sale doesn't decide to take up skiing in the off-season.
    I still like my bubble wrap idea.

I meant it as a joke, earlier, but now...

We shrink wrap our pontoon boat for the winter. I'm just sayin'... It looks brand new in the spring.
    Sox 4 Ever

Yup; it's gonna take a multi-year contract from someone. Can't blame him; get the money while you're hot. Once you get it it's yours to keep.
    He should have been one of Bloom's rare 2 year deals.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He should have been one of Bloom's rare 2 year deals.
    Hindsight is, well you know.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Is there any reason to resume play if/when it stops raining ? The game is pretty much meaningless and both teams have to travel tonight. We don't need to see Judge get another at bat. Just call it.
    By rule, the umps have to wait a minimum of 75 minutes before calling a game. That would be about 10:30 tonight.
    Old school is good school.

The fan that had Maris's 61st HR was given $5,000.00 for the ball. That would equate to $50,000.00 today.