Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/29 Red Sox and O's for the last time in '22

9/29 Red Sox and O's for the last time in '22

The return of Nate Eovaldi who is getting his FA audition today. He will try to prove he still has good stuff , and can be a part of one team's 2023 plans. Nate will end the year with a winning W-L record, now at 5-3 (4.15 ERA) , starting his 19th game and will cross the 100 inning line if he gets one out in the first.

Does Nate warrant a QO from the FO to secure at least another compensatory pick ? Like JDM, there should be some concern that EO takes the offer.

The Sox continue to toy with the notion of an 8 game win streak to get back to .500 for the year requiring a win today, and sweeps of the Jays (2 games) and the Rays (3 games) to close out a lost year.

Mike Baumann , a reliever, will open for Baltimore whose scramble for legitimacy in 2022 had a nice run . Don't get too excited but the Sox could still catch and even pass the 80 win Birds with the aforementioned 8 game win streak and a bad final streak for the O's. Oh, and Judge could still hit 74 HR's.

I don't think we offer Nate or JD a QO.

Bogey and Wacha, yes.
    Sox 4 Ever

If I'm going with a QO, I'd give one to Nate before I'd give one to Wacha.

Neither is a sure bet, but Nasty Nate has better stuff. It's probably personal preference.

Wacha 4.02 xFIP
    Nate 3.38 xFIP
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If I'm going with a QO, I'd give one to Nate before I'd give one to Wacha.

Neither is a sure bet, but Nasty Nate has better stuff. It's probably personal preference.

Wacha 4.02 xFIP
    Nate 3.38 xFIP
    I'd rather we offer neither one a QO than just Nate.

Nate's age and injury history is not good.

Wacha has missed time, too, but I like him better. Both would be high risk.
    Sox 4 Ever

I'd rather we offer neither one a QO than just Nate.

Nate's age and injury history is not good.

Wacha has missed time, too, but I like him better. Both would be high risk.
    At one point, it looked like the Sox would give a QO to at least one pitcher and to JD. Now, it looks like they may hand out none.

If they give out a QO to Nate or Wacha and the player takes it, there will be blowback. If they don't give out any QO's, there will be blowback. Personally, I don't think any of those 3 are worth $20M per or whatever the QO is.

At one point, it looked like the Sox would give a QO to at least one pitcher and to JD. Now, it looks like they may hand out none.

If they give out a QO to Nate or Wacha and the player takes it, there will be blowback. If they don't give out any QO's, there will be blowback. Personally, I don't think any of those 3 are worth $20M per or whatever the QO is.
    Bogey will get one, if not extended.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    The return of Nate Eovaldi who is getting his FA audition today. He will try to prove he still has good stuff , and can be a part of one team's 2023 plans. Nate will end the year with a winning W-L record, now at 5-3 (4.15 ERA) , starting his 19th game and will cross the 100 inning line if he gets one out in the first.

Does Nate warrant a QO from the FO to secure at least another compensatory pick ? Like JDM, there should be some concern that EO takes the offer.

The Sox continue to toy with the notion of an 8 game win streak to get back to .500 for the year requiring a win today, and sweeps of the Jays (2 games) and the Rays (3 games) to close out a lost year.

Mike Baumann , a reliever, will open for Baltimore whose scramble for legitimacy in 2022 had a nice run . Don't get too excited but the Sox could still catch and even pass the 80 win Birds with the aforementioned 8 game win streak and a bad final streak for the O's. Oh, and Judge could still hit 74 HR's.
    Nice opening post, Vegas.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Nice opening post, Vegas.
    Thank you, sir. BTW, Nate just hit 100.0 innings with a leadoff hitter K

Arroyo back at second base , while Story continues to heal his heel. Arroyo looks like an ironman compared to Story's 2022. He's appeared in 94 games (60.6%) . He will need to carry a bigger load in '23 particularly if Bogaerts does move on.

For the record, Arroyo has only appeared in 82 but he should be categorized as a utility player, not a significant FA addition.

Bogey will get one, if not extended.
    Forgot about his. Hope they can just extend him before it gets to that.

I can't help but wonder if Kike leads MLB in fewest hits to RF. Or just putting the ball in play to the right side.

Forgot about his. Hope they can just extend him before it gets to that.
    One issue for the Sox with Bogey is how quickly they can either get a deal done or determine they won't go deep enough to sign him. If he is the money/budget key to 2023, then they need to act quickly so they aren't shopping the bargain bin late in January/February as in '22 ( for CBA delay ). Get on/off and then look for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    One issue for the Sox with Bogey is how quickly they can either get a deal done or determine they won't go deep enough to sign him. If he is the money/budget key to 2023, then they need to act quickly so they aren't shopping the bargain bin late in January/February as in '22 ( for CBA delay ). Get on/off and then look for pitching.
    I don't see them going for Correa or Turner. For the Sox, it's either Bogey or Swanson or discount bin.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I can't help but wonder if Kike leads MLB in fewest hits to RF. Or just putting the ball in play to the right side.
    His spray chart overlaps with Arroyo's for better or worse.

Now Story is sick and will not be used in closing out the season ?? No big deal , just don't turn into another dead money anchor .