Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Yankees off-season thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not defending the Yanks not spending like the Dodgers, but they have not for a long time, now.
    If they don't have a good run in 2023, it's going to get UGLY... and it should.

They need to dig up George this Hallow's Eve and have him torment his dumb kids until they quit this nonsense or sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If they don't have a good run in 2023, it's going to get UGLY... and it should.
    I keep hearing this same thing, every October.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    After watching another PO where the MVP cannot hit, I am proposing some changes that could be rather controversial...

Catcher- Trevino and Higashioka- No need to make changes. Trevino sucked late offensively, Higgy sucked all season offensively. They were a dynamite duo defensively and managed a pitching staff that was in flux incredibly well. They were a bright spot that should be easily retained on an arb 1 and arb 2 contract

First Base- Anthony Rizzo- He has a $16 mil option for 2023 that he is probably going to decline. If I was the Yankees GM, I would offer a QO that is priced around $19 mil. That would be hard for him to turn down as I do not think he sees the AAV that high on another contract and it isnt like he tore the cover off the ball the second half. But he brings good D, leadership, and clutch hitting to a team that is sorely lacking. If he walks from that, then I do not offer him a longer deal and make some adjustments, but for this argument, he is on the team.

Second Base- Trea Turner- 8 yr $245 mil contract- 29 yr old MIF coming off 2 consecutive 6 WAR seasons. His offense trailed a little from the year prior, but he is nails defensively. He would immediately jump into the leadoff position and create havoc on the bases. I think his speed is starting to slow a little bit which limits his upper side earnings, so I do not think he reaches Seager territory. But he would be a wrecking ball for this lineup.

Shortstop- Carlos Correa- 10 years $325 mil contract- 28 yr old superstar SS who ended the year on fire and has a history of being a clutch performer in the playoffs. He would add stability to the middle infield that sorely needs it. He and Turner would turn the SS-2B defense into the best in baseball

Third Base- Gleyber Torres- He will be going into his final 2 years in the Bronx. His bat has been off and on, but his middle infield defense has been awful. Time to move him to third and see if that can help. If not, we can roll with Donaldson as the 8 hitter and hope for one last gasp from his corpse before he retires and then look to the deadline to upgrade.

Left Field- Michael Conforto- 1 yr $12 mil with a player option for the second. He will have to prove he is healthy, but what better place for a lefty to get a pillow contract. He gets the second year if he sucks, but can jump back onto the market at the top of his game

Center Field- Harrison Bader- defensive whiz when giants arent running in front of him, Bader hit just as many HRs in the POs as he did all season. He is from the Bronx, he can hit enough, can run and can play good D. He is also entering a contract year and I like players like that

Right Field- Mitch Haniger- 1 yr $8 mil. He is defensively limited but playing RF in the Bronx isnt that difficult. Add in his power and what should be a lower cost to defray all the upgrades and he could be a guy we bring in a la Renfroe, who rejuvenates his career and goes to greener pastures

Designated Hitter- I try all avenues to dump Stanton, but understand there will be almost no way. He was a world beater until July then fell apart physically and mentally. He needs to bounce back and be a useful hitter for the Yanks to have a chance.

Lineup-
    1. Turner 2B
    2. Correa SS
    3. Rizzo 1B
    4. Stanton DH
    5. Conforto LF
    6. Haniger RF
    7. Torres 3B
    8. Bader CF
    9. Trevino C

Maybe we go Nimmo instead of Haniger and shell out another $20 mil contract, who knows. But the offense needs a financial jolt and I think we would be better served spreading around the cost than using it all on one guy who disappears in the POs
    I don’t see the Yankees commuting $570mill to two shortstops, and blocking their top two prospects, while also counting on two of-injured corner outfielders with minimal playing time over the past two seasons…

Deity
    So does this mean the Yankees are planning on non-tendering IKF?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I keep hearing this same thing, every October.
    Are the Mets the Yankees now and the Yankees are the Mets?
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So does this mean the Yankees are planning on non-tendering IKF?
    I would assume trade. I think he has some meager value even at a yet unknown ARB salary.
    I get MV Pee.

Are the Mets the Yankees now and the Yankees are the Mets?
    When it comes to new spending, it seems that way.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I don’t see the Yankees commuting $570mill to two shortstops, and blocking their top two prospects, while also counting on two of-injured corner outfielders with minimal playing time over the past two seasons…
    Agreed. I actually think they'll trade Torres this offseason, try to trade Donaldson, and then stick with a combination of LeMahieu/IKF/Cabrera/Peraza between 2B/3B/SS. And then eventually add Volpe to the mix during the season. I think Rizzo comes back, and I think Judge also comes back (on a deal that will cripple us down the line). I can't see Cashman getting rid of IKF because it would mean he was wrong. But maybe sticking him at third (his best position) could have some kind of positive effect. My best guess opening day lineup:

1. DJL 2B
    2. Judge RF
    3. Rizzo 1B
    4. Stanton DH
    5. Free Agent LF (maybe re-sign Beni, or could see them sign one of Brantley/Haniger/Nimmo)
    6. Bader CF
    7. Peraza SS
    8. IKF 3B
    9. Trevino/Higgy C

Not great, but not awful either.

Deity
    I would assume trade. I think he has some meager value even at a yet unknown ARB salary.
    He’s a good defensive SS.

If the Sox are looking for a one year stopgap to Mayer, they could do a lot worse.

And at the very least, it would stop him from absolutely thumping our pitching staff…

If Cashman gets that new extension, it's a great time to be a Yankee hater.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

He’s a good defensive SS.

If the Sox are looking for a one year stopgap to Mayer, they could do a lot worse.

And at the very least, it would stop him from absolutely thumping our pitching staff…
    Many Yankees fans think he was a disaster fielding-wise.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Agreed. I actually think they'll trade Torres this offseason, try to trade Donaldson, and then stick with a combination of LeMahieu/IKF/Cabrera/Peraza between 2B/3B/SS. And then eventually add Volpe to the mix during the season. I think Rizzo comes back, and I think Judge also comes back (on a deal that will cripple us down the line). I can't see Cashman getting rid of IKF because it would mean he was wrong. But maybe sticking him at third (his best position) could have some kind of positive effect. My best guess opening day lineup:

1. DJL 2B
    2. Judge RF
    3. Rizzo 1B
    4. Stanton DH
    5. Free Agent LF (maybe re-sign Beni, or could see them sign one of Brantley/Haniger/Nimmo)
    6. Bader CF
    7. Peraza SS
    8. IKF 3B
    9. Trevino/Higgy C

Not great, but not awful either.
    Getting IKF would not have been“wrong.” The Yankees wanted a one year stopgap to Peraza/Volpe. He did exactly that.

Now it comes down to whether or not he has a future with NY. If the Yankees go with 2b - Peraza, SS - Volpe, 3b - Torres, do they need him? Especially with Lamahieu trying to fit in somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    He absolutely was not a good defensive SS. He was better than Torres, but that's not saying much. He has good range and a decent arm, but makes too many mistakes on easy plays. Or turns easy plays into hard plays with bad footwork.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Big deal. How many of them thought Jeter was a good defender?

If the Sox aren’t going big at SS, IKF is a terrific candidate…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    He absolutely was not a good defensive SS. He was better than Torres, but that's not saying much. He has good range and a decent arm, but makes too many mistakes on easy plays. Or turns easy plays into hard plays with bad footwork.
    You certainly watched more Yankee games than me, but I’ve always liked IKF as a player…