Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Curt Schilling Is a Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I'm not denying Schilling (or Tiant), but a couple points no one makes about McGriff:

He was 7 shy of what used to be an automatic HOF benchmark (pre-steroid era) -- 500 home runs -- but people forget he lost 48 games in 1994 due to the work stoppage; McGriff hit 34 homers through August 11, and if he just continued at his seasonal rate -- one every 3.35 games -- he would've easily socked at least seven more.

Even if he didn't bat in every remaining game (if '94 played out), his monthly average was 6.8 HRs... and Crime Dog was hot, with 7 dingers in his last 10 games before the strike.

Maybe most important, McGriff starred during the PED Era... and stayed lithe and lanky throughout.
    McGriff has fairly similar JAWS to Tony Perez. He wasn't a slam dunk candidate, but he's better than Mattingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sheik View Post
    Devers? Number 1! Mayer? Number 2? Bloom? Haack-ptooey!

Assuming Pete Rose and Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and the rest of the unliked PED users are still kept out (as they let in Roberto Alomar and Big Papi), my list for next year is:

Adrian Beltre (his 5 year wait is up)
    Dwight Evans
    Tommy John
    Darrell Evans
    Rusty Staub
    Jeff Kent
    Larry Walker
    Vada Pinson
    Dave Parker
    Lou Whitaker
    Bobby Mathews
    Tony Mullane

Larry Walker is already in the HOF.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Contemporary baseball committee does not vote Curt Schilling into the Hall Of Fame. Ridiculous! Fred McGriff gets in instead. Pleeeeeeeaaaseeee!
    Schilling is a HoF'er and probably will get in at some point. But ... the violin I play for his very very tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Schilling is a HoF'er and probably will get in at some point. But ... the violin I play for his very very tiny.
    If you're a famous person with a lot of $$$, there is no benefit to being on social media.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If you're a famous person with a lot of $$$, there is no benefit to being on social media.
    I know a couple of people who were victims of the 38 studios grift.

I'll never forget the blood sock game. Curt Schilling not only has the talent and the resume to be in the Hall of Fame, he has receipts from gutsy performances like that.

HOF becomes way too political to get in at times. Curt Schilling must have enemies on the voters panel, but I think he'll eventually get in, it's not like he did something dumb you can stand on a soapbox against like gamble on baseball.

Hall of Fame results are announced tonight.

The only guys above 75% so far on public ballots are Rolen and Helton. We'll see if they can sneak in or if the remaining ballots get them under 75% again.

Wagner has 71.6% and all others are below 70.

My ballot would have been:
    Abreu
    Beltran
    Buerhle
    Helton
    Jones
    Manny
    ARod
    Rolen
    Sheffield
    Wagner

Red Sox legends Mike Napoli, Jacoby Ellsbury, John Lackey and Bronson Arroyo have received zero votes so far.

RA Dickey and Huston Street each received 1 vote so far.

Sounds like Rolen and McGriff are being inducted.

Baseball simply has nothing to do with it. His mouth talked him out of the hall long ago. Character counts for a lot in the hall, something Shilling is severely lacking in.

Hall of Fame results are announced tonight.

The only guys above 75% so far on public ballots are Rolen and Helton. We'll see if they can sneak in or if the remaining ballots get them under 75% again.

Wagner has 71.6% and all others are below 70.

My ballot would have been:
    Abreu
    Beltran
    Buerhle
    Helton
    Jones
    Manny
    ARod
    Rolen
    Sheffield
    Wagner

Red Sox legends Mike Napoli, Jacoby Ellsbury, John Lackey and Bronson Arroyo have received zero votes so far.

RA Dickey and Huston Street each received 1 vote so far.
    Why are you putting in known PED users like ARod, Manny, Beltran, Sheffield? I guess the PED user Big Papi has set a new standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Doh View Post
    Why are you putting in known PED users like ARod, Manny, Beltran, Sheffield? I guess the PED user Big Papi has set a new standard?
    When was Beltran a “known PED user?”

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Doh View Post
    Known cheater Gaylord Perry is in the HOF and nobody bats an eye. Everyone who played from 1987 - 2004 and beyond is a good suspect for using some sort of PED's. Impossible to parse them all out so why bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    When was Beltran a “known PED user?”
    Beltran's known issues are being associated with the Astros cheating scandal.

Deity
    Known cheater Gaylord Perry is in the HOF and nobody bats an eye. Everyone who played from 1987 - 2004 and beyond is a good suspect for using some sort of PED's. Impossible to parse them all out so why bother.
    I hate when people try to defend Perry over Bonds by claiming his cheating was “different.”

Yea, it was different. For example, what Perry did was actually against the rules…