Register now to remove this ad

Page 102 of 126 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1887

Thread: 2023 Prospects

  1. #1516
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,210
    If you are interested in following what happens in the Arizona Fall League, Christopher Troye is intentionally posting a bunch of updates on Twitter and IG for posterity.

    https://twitter.com/christophtroye
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  2. #1517
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,007
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I would at least say that Abreu shows that he at least looks like an MLB player. I think we assumed that Rafaela would be with BOS, but Abreu was more on the outside looking in. There weren't too many of us projecting him to be on the BOS roster in 2024. SoxProspects had him outside the top 20.
    True. Many did say Abreu was the better of the two we got for Vaz.

    I'm still short of saying "I'm impressed." Happy? Yes. Hopeful? Hell YES!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  3. #1518
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    IDK, I'm glad Mayer slipped to the Sox. I'm glad Teel slipped to the Sox. Maybe a pick or two helps once in a while. Also, the season is over and there isn't much else to talk about prospect wise.
    Yeah I would say every year is different too.

    I think the spirit of Boggs comment is pretty good but who knows what that tier is, I don't think it's constant. A draft can have 4-5 guys at the top or a top tier of 7-10 guys. Also, with all the deal cutting that can happen at the top sitting in the 10-15 range can sometimes still land you an opportunity to pick a guy who was ranked as top 10.

    This has happened to the Sox twice in the past decade.

    Groome (2016) was ranked in the #1-#3 zone and fell to the Sox at 12.
    TEEL (2023) Was ranked in the #6-#10 range and fell to the Sox at 14.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

  4. #1519
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Unless you have one of the top 3 or in some years 5 picks, the rest of the first round didn’t change much. Since this is MLB and not the NFL or the NBA, no one drafts for positions. And the talent gap between the 5th best high school/college player and the 30th best isn’t nearly as wide as you think. Not to mention it’s certainly not always predictive of an MLB future.

    So worrying about other teams affecting the Sox draft is pretty worthless stuff…
    Yeah, I agree with you for the most part. You would still rather have the 11th pick than, say, the 18th pick, but at the end of the day it might not matter very much. And Mike Trout went 25th overall. Getting Teel at 14 looks like a great pick and I was thinking about a pick like that in hoping to get the earliest pick possible.

    But when there are only few games left in the season and you are rooting for your team to lose for a higher draft pick, that can only mean one thing: the season didn't go very well. . . .

  5. #1520
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Unless you have one of the top 3 or in some years 5 picks, the rest of the first round didn’t change much. Since this is MLB and not the NFL or the NBA, no one drafts for positions. And the talent gap between the 5th best high school/college player and the 30th best isn’t nearly as wide as you think. Not to mention it’s certainly not always predictive of an MLB future.

    So worrying about other teams affecting the Sox draft is pretty worthless stuff…
    Yeah, I agree with you for the most part. You would still rather have the 11th pick than, say, the 18th pick, but at the end of the day it might not matter very much. And Mike Trout went 25th overall. Getting Teel at 14 looks like a great pick and I was thinking about a pick like that in hoping to get the earliest pick possible.

    But when there are only few games left in the season and you are rooting for your team to lose for a higher draft pick, that can only mean one thing: the season didn't go very well. . . .

    As was said above, the nice thing about the 11th pick is that the Red Sox will probably land one of the top 10 talents in the draft and get a player that wouldn't normally be available at pick 17 or 18, for example.

  6. #1521
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,007
    One site's best picks:

    https://www.mlb.com/news/2024-mlb-draft-mock

    One site has this for best college players:

    https://razzball.com/way-too-early-t...024-mlb-draft/

    1. Jac Caglianone | 1B/LHP | Florida

    2. Brody Brecht | RHP | Iowa

    3. JJ Weatherholt | INF | West Virginia

    4. Chase Burns | RHP | Tennessee

    5. Charlie Condon | 1B/OF | Georgia

    6. Vance Honeycutt | OF | North Carolina

    7. Nick Kurtz | 1B | Wake Forest

    8. Tommy White | 1B/3B | LSU

    9. Travis Bazzana | 2B | Oregon State

    10. Hagen Smith | LHP | Arkansas

    11. Braden Montgomery | OF/RHP | Stanford

    12. Carter Holton | LHP | Vanderbilt

    13. Michael Massey | RHP | Wake Forest

    14. Drew Beam | RHP | Tennessee
    Last edited by moonslav59; 09-28-2023 at 11:32 AM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  7. #1522
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,210
    NoT eNoUgH ShOrTsToPs LiStEd!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  8. #1523
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,007
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    NoT eNoUgH ShOrTsToPs LiStEd!
    We'll find one.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  9. #1524
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    One site's best picks:

    https://www.mlb.com/news/2024-mlb-draft-mock

    One site has this for best college players:

    https://razzball.com/way-too-early-t...024-mlb-draft/

    1. Jac Caglianone | 1B/LHP | Florida

    2. Brody Brecht | RHP | Iowa

    3. JJ Weatherholt | INF | West Virginia

    4. Chase Burns | RHP | Tennessee

    5. Charlie Condon | 1B/OF | Georgia

    6. Vance Honeycutt | OF | North Carolina

    7. Nick Kurtz | 1B | Wake Forest

    8. Tommy White | 1B/3B | LSU

    9. Travis Bazzana | 2B | Oregon State

    10. Hagen Smith | LHP | Arkansas

    11. Braden Montgomery | OF/RHP | Stanford

    12. Carter Holton | LHP | Vanderbilt

    13. Michael Massey | RHP | Wake Forest

    14. Drew Beam | RHP | Tennessee
    If we all start an internet rumor that burns has a ucl tear and hope and pray that he falls to us in the draft!!!!!

  10. #1525
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    If we all start an internet rumor that burns has a ucl tear and hope and pray that he falls to us in the draft!!!!!
    We'll still take a SS, even if he does.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  11. #1526
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We'll still take a SS, even if he does.
    That was when Hang’em Chaim was here. One of holtzon, smith or Massey would be a huge drop off from burns

  12. #1527
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    83,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    That was when Hang’em Chaim was here. One of holtzon, smith or Massey would be a huge drop off from burns
    Most GMs take SSs. They are often the best player on the team and move off SS in the minors, many times.

    Pitchers are more risky, especially after the top 5 picks, but even top 5's have a worse track record than everyday players.

    Why insist on taking riskier players?

    Just trade for pitching. Now that Bloom is not here....
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

  13. #1528
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    If we all start an internet rumor that burns has a ucl tear and hope and pray that he falls to us in the draft!!!!!
    By the time the draft come around he could fall out of the top 10 regardless, boards will look very different by next summer. There are a ton of Kids going into their Senior year of highschool or Junior year of college that are just going to pop. It's fun to look this early, but half the big names aren't even on there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

  14. #1529
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Most GMs take SSs. They are often the best player on the team and move off SS in the minors, many times.

    Pitchers are more risky, especially after the top 5 picks, but even top 5's have a worse track record than everyday players.

    Why insist on taking riskier players?

    Just trade for pitching. Now that Bloom is not here....
    Also, Chaim isn't drafting players. The people who run the draft are still here, I'd suspect in 2024 the Sox take anywhere from 6-8 short stops again.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

  15. #1530
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,210
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Most GMs take SSs. They are often the best player on the team and move off SS in the minors, many times.

    Pitchers are more risky, especially after the top 5 picks, but even top 5's have a worse track record than everyday players.

    Why insist on taking riskier players?

    Just trade for pitching. Now that Bloom is not here....
    It's true that pitching is very risky.

    Think of Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker. Leiter isn't a top 100 prospect now. Kumar Rocker got TJS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •