Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 2023 Prospects

https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/...a55a8902d.html

“I believe I’m ready,” Valdez said through a translator. “Whether it’s up the middle or in the outfield, regardless of where it is I want to impact the game and pay off for the organization.”

Originally signed by the Houston Astros as an international free agent in 2016, Valdez broke out following the pandemic as one of the most formidable hitters in the Astros organization. He’s posted back-to-back seasons with more than 26 home runs, 90 RBI and an .860 OPS in the minors, and last year he set career highs with 28 homers, 107 RBI and a .918 OPS while spending two thirds of the season at Triple-A.

“Last year in the short stint in Worcester we saw a guy who can play a bunch of different positions, drive the ball to all fields, really exciting bat speed, power, a guy who can impact the baseball and impact the game,” said Red Sox director of player development Brian Abraham. “Someone who is an exciting player that can do a bunch of different things throughout the game.”

The knock on Valdez is that he doesn’t really have a defensive position. He was originally signed as a second baseman but has been used all over the field as the Astros and Red Sox have tried to find his best long-term home. He also hits righties much better than lefties, which could limit him to a platoon role if that doesn’t improve.

“Consistency at the plate, putting the bat on the ball, putting the ball in play, because when he impacts the baseball he hits the ball hard,” Abraham said. “Being able to do that on an every day basis, that’s what big leaguers do. When he’s able to get to that point I know he’ll be ready for that call, but still some work to do but I know he’s excited for it.”

Valdez will likely start the season at Triple-A, but given Christian Arroyo and Mondesi’s extensive injury histories there is a good bet he’ll get an opportunity at some point. Knowing that, Valdez says he’s spent the offseason working on the holes in his game so that when the time comes he’ll be ready to take full advantage of his shot.

“I want to be a complete player. Whether it’s on defense, running the bases, whatever ways I can help impact the game,” Valdez said. “Hopefully, god willing, the fruits of my hard work will pay off when I reach Fenway next year.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sheik View Post
    Devers? Number 1! Mayer? Number 2? Bloom? Haack-ptooey!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/...a55a8902d.html

“I believe I’m ready,” Valdez said through a translator. “Whether it’s up the middle or in the outfield, regardless of where it is I want to impact the game and pay off for the organization.”

Originally signed by the Houston Astros as an international free agent in 2016, Valdez broke out following the pandemic as one of the most formidable hitters in the Astros organization. He’s posted back-to-back seasons with more than 26 home runs, 90 RBI and an .860 OPS in the minors, and last year he set career highs with 28 homers, 107 RBI and a .918 OPS while spending two thirds of the season at Triple-A.

“Last year in the short stint in Worcester we saw a guy who can play a bunch of different positions, drive the ball to all fields, really exciting bat speed, power, a guy who can impact the baseball and impact the game,” said Red Sox director of player development Brian Abraham. “Someone who is an exciting player that can do a bunch of different things throughout the game.”

The knock on Valdez is that he doesn’t really have a defensive position. He was originally signed as a second baseman but has been used all over the field as the Astros and Red Sox have tried to find his best long-term home. He also hits righties much better than lefties, which could limit him to a platoon role if that doesn’t improve.

“Consistency at the plate, putting the bat on the ball, putting the ball in play, because when he impacts the baseball he hits the ball hard,” Abraham said. “Being able to do that on an every day basis, that’s what big leaguers do. When he’s able to get to that point I know he’ll be ready for that call, but still some work to do but I know he’s excited for it.”

Valdez will likely start the season at Triple-A, but given Christian Arroyo and Mondesi’s extensive injury histories there is a good bet he’ll get an opportunity at some point. Knowing that, Valdez says he’s spent the offseason working on the holes in his game so that when the time comes he’ll be ready to take full advantage of his shot.

“I want to be a complete player. Whether it’s on defense, running the bases, whatever ways I can help impact the game,” Valdez said. “Hopefully, god willing, the fruits of my hard work will pay off when I reach Fenway next year.”
    Many feel Abreu was the better of the two in the Vaz return, but this kid can hit!
    Sox 4 Ever

https://www.milb.com/player/skylar-arias-670404

The Red Sox signed left-hander Skylar Arias to a minor-league contract for the 2023 season, per the club’s transaction’s log. He will be assigned to Double-A Portland and he awaits his spring training date assignment.

Arias comes to organization drawing comparisons to another big time left-hander in Chris Sale. While playing at Tallahassee Community College, his coaches compared his delivery to that of Sale’s.

“I think it’s pretty cool. To be compared to someone who’s had success at the highest level for such a long time,” said Arias.

“That’s kind of been my comparison for awhile now. I don’t see it but maybe the arm slot and we both throw weird.”

The new Red Sox minor leaguer offers a three pitches in his repertoire, a low-90s fastball, low 80s slider and low-to-mid 80s changeup according to Baseball America.

“He has an unusual four-seam fastball that’s heavy with side spin, but lacks hop, moving almost like a sinker from a flat vertical approach angle. This allows the pitch to play above his below-average velocity.

“His slider is far and away his go-to swing-and-miss offering, with a whiff rate above 50 percent despite accounting for a quarter of his usage. From a shape perspective his changeup may be his most intriguing pitch. It sits 82 mph with average velocity separation from his fastball. He does an excellent job of killing the lift on the pitch, which gives it plenty of tumble. It also has hellacious run,” wrote Baseball America back in December 2021.

Arias comes to his third organization after spending parts of seven seasons in Cleveland and the White Sox system. The Florida native is excited about his new opportunity with the Red Sox organization and is prepping for spring training.

“Right now I’m still waiting on a report date to spring training. The offseason has been going very well and I’m ready to get going with an awesome organization,” said Arias. “This game can be very challenging and you have to learn to enjoy the ups and downs and learn from it. I’m very excited to meet my new teammates and coaching staff.”

https://www.milb.com/player/skylar-arias-670404

The Red Sox signed left-hander Skylar Arias to a minor-league contract for the 2023 season, per the club’s transaction’s log. He will be assigned to Double-A Portland and he awaits his spring training date assignment.

Arias comes to organization drawing comparisons to another big time left-hander in Chris Sale. While playing at Tallahassee Community College, his coaches compared his delivery to that of Sale’s.

“I think it’s pretty cool. To be compared to someone who’s had success at the highest level for such a long time,” said Arias.

“That’s kind of been my comparison for awhile now. I don’t see it but maybe the arm slot and we both throw weird.”
    Even me with my defective skills can read between these foul lines.

Bleis makes the MLB Top 100 Prospects at #93. He's one of only four 18 year-olds on the list. The only outfielder his age ahead of him is Chourio of Milwaukee (signed as a shortstop).

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Even me with my defective skills can read between these foul lines.
    I'm sure I will have completely forgotten about Arias in a few weeks.

Deity
    I'm sure I will have completely forgotten about Arias in a few weeks.
    Who?