Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox trade for Adalberto Mondesi

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I'll raise you Whitlock over either of them or Paxton. You know, these ole warhorses, we gotta take care of them. I'd say Bello, but you know these young prospects, don't wanna burn them out.

Whitlock is locked up, has the arsenal to go three times through, and the reliever gloves are off.
    Whitlock is coming off an injury plagued season and hasn't been a fulltime starting pitcher in a while. His most ever IP is 120 back in 2018 and hasn't thrown 80 since. Bello threw 150+ last season. My guess is Whitlock is on an innings limit this year more so than Bello.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Mariners DFAd former top prospect LHP Justus Sheffield.

Sheffield has struggled but mostly been used as a starter. Wondering if the Sox might have interest in him as a replacement for departed LHRPs Taylor, Hernandez and Strahm…
    Seen people mention Chafin.

Sheffield's low k rate doesn't seem all that enticing as a reliever.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Seen people mention Chafin.

Sheffield's low k rate doesn't seem all that enticing as a reliever.
    Chafin is the preferable option. I can’t believe he hasn’t signed anywhere yet. His demands must be ridiculous.

Sheffield is a question mark, but also (I believe) has an option left…

Whitlock is coming off an injury plagued season and hasn't been a fulltime starting pitcher in a while. His most ever IP is 120 back in 2018 and hasn't thrown 80 since. Bello threw 150+ last season. My guess is Whitlock is on an innings limit this year more so than Bello.
    I know it would seem that way, even though the Red Sox have already said he is a full go. But there's more pressure than ever on Bloom this year, and Whitlock is his first longterm extension player (he doesn't want a mini-Dombro/Sale situation on his hands, amidst all the other crapola).

There also has to come a time in the front office where someone says, Are we were really going to baby this big, strong young pitcher for the third straight year?

If they do, it diminishes Bloom's great New York steal just a bit, IMO...

I know it would seem that way, even though the Red Sox have already said he is a full go. But there's more pressure than ever on Bloom this year, and Whitlock is his first longterm extension player (he doesn't want a mini-Dombro/Sale situation on his hands, amidst all the other crapola).

There also has to come a time in the front office where someone says, Are we were really going to baby this big, strong young pitcher for the third straight year?

If they do, it diminishes Bloom's great New York steal just a bit, IMO...
    I wouldn't call it babying him in 2021. He was in the pen all year and pitched 73.1 innings, most of any Sox reliever.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I wouldn't call it babying him in 2021. He was in the pen all year and pitched 73.1 innings, most of any Sox reliever.
    I can't believe they babied him last year by injuring him.

No one -- the public, anyway -- knew Whitlock had another injury requiring surgery until they shut him down at the end of the season. The Red Sox limited his usage because of a previous injury. I can't believe a poster said babied instead of handled with care.

For some fans, this pick from the Rule 5 Draft tops the list of the Greatest Moves in the History of Chaim Bloom. Whitlock was the best set-up man on a club that made the playoffs. But there have been cracks in the rare pearl discovered amidst so many empty clams.

Maybe someday, Whitlock can be a top-of-the-rotation starter. Or even an All-Star. If either happens, it will be a first for a Bloom acquisition.

No one -- the public, anyway -- knew Whitlock had another injury requiring surgery until they shut him down at the end of the season. The Red Sox limited his usage because of a previous injury. I can't believe a poster said babied instead of handled with care.

For some fans, this pick from the Rule 5 Draft tops the list of the Greatest Moves in the History of Chaim Bloom. Whitlock was the best set-up man on a club that made the playoffs. But there have been cracks in the rare pearl discovered amidst so many empty clams.

Maybe someday, Whitlock can be a top-of-the-rotation starter. Or even an All-Star. If either happens, it will be a first for a Bloom acquisition.
    We knew he was injured because he went on the 15 day IL with hip inflammation and it was reported that it happened while he was working out. It was first mentioned in June that he had "hip tightness" and he quickly went on the IL. They reduced his workload dramatically. The surgery he had in September was on the same hip. How was it a different injury?

Deity
    Great. Now you’re starting rumors that Bloom injures babies!!

My lists were not meant to be viewed as order from best to worst, but I do think the Whitlock moves was a very good one, and maybe Bloom's best.

I'm not sure we make the playoffs in '21 without him.

2021-2022 Red Sox (100+ IP):
    152 IP in 2 seasons - 3rd on team
    2.73 ERA (163 ERA+)- 1st
    3.07 FIP- 2nd
    1.06 WHIP- 1st
    5.1 K/BB- 1st
    3.0 fWAR- T3

bWAR
    6.0 Nate
    5.2 Pivetta
    4.7 Whitlock
    3.3 Wacha
    3.2 Houck
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Great. Now you’re starting rumors that Bloom injures babies!!
    He rested these guys way too much in ST'ings... no wait...

My lists were not meant to be viewed as order from best to worst, but I do think the Whitlock moves was a very good one, and maybe Bloom's best.

I'm not sure we make the playoffs in '21 without him.

2021-2022 Red Sox (100+ IP):
    152 IP in 2 seasons - 3rd on team
    2.73 ERA (163 ERA+)- 1st
    3.07 FIP- 2nd
    1.06 WHIP- 1st
    5.1 K/BB- 1st
    3.0 fWAR- T3

bWAR
    6.0 Nate
    5.2 Pivetta
    4.7 Whitlock
    3.3 Wacha
    3.2 Houck
    Whitlock was the top set-up man in '21 and has the potential to be even better, hopefully as a starter. But he'll be 27 in June and it's hard to deny that health has been an issue in his career. That he's the best core acquisition in three years can be considered an indictment on the Bloom Era.

Many of Chaim's best recruits were only sub-contractors, and not full-time company men. Renfroe for a season and Iglesias and Schwarber for a stretch run were big factors in a successful season. Wacha was as good as could be expected on a bad team. Feel free to add other favorites who earned their one-year contracts and left.

Who has Bloom brought in who's still here that matters? Verdugo. Kike and Pivetta -- a streaky multi-purpose swingman and a #5 innings-eater.

Maybe Arroyo will someday play a whole season. Story is an official bust until he's no longer the position player version of Sale. I'm optimistic about the young guys... but make way for Yoshida!

Whitlock was the top set-up man in '21 and has the potential to be even better, hopefully as a starter. But he'll be 27 in June and it's hard to deny that health has been an issue in his career. That he's the best core acquisition in three years can be considered an indictment on the Bloom Era.

Many of Chaim's best recruits were only sub-contractors, and not full-time company men. Renfroe for a season and Iglesias and Schwarber for a stretch run were big factors in a successful season. Wacha was as good as could be expected on a bad team. Feel free to add other favorites who earned their one-year contracts and left.

Who has Bloom brought in who's still here that matters? Verdugo. Kike and Pivetta -- a streaky multi-purpose swingman and a #5 innings-eater.

Maybe Arroyo will someday play a whole season. Story is an official bust until he's no longer the position player version of Sale. I'm optimistic about the young guys... but make way for Yoshida!
    You can choose your own way to evaluate a GM give the task and circumstances he was given.

Make way for Yoshida, Jansen, Martin, Kluber, Turner, McGuire and the extended Devers.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 01-27-2023 at 09:22 AM.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Adalberto will be a favorite of my kids if he ever healthy as his name sounds an awful lot like "Alaberto" which is how my daughter used to incorrectly pronounce one of her favorite restaurants when she was younger. However, there's a good chance my kids will never see him on the tv.

Legend
    Chafin is the preferable option. I can’t believe he hasn’t signed anywhere yet. His demands must be ridiculous.

Sheffield is a question mark, but also (I believe) has an option left…
    Justus Sheffield cleared waivers and was outrighted to Seattle’s Triple A Tacoma roster.